• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

What did you do to your LJ today?

04 LJ

My name is Chad and I am an addict
Supporting Member
Mar 12, 2019
Winterville, NC
Wanted to branch off from the ‘What did you do to your TJ today’ thread to give LJ owners a place of their own to post. With @Chris’s blessing, here we go.

I’ll start. Completely overhauled the cooling system in my LJ. Triple drained and flushed existing system with distilled water, completely tore down cooling system down to the block, scraped all gaskets, polished mating surface for new thermostat and water pump housing, installed new Mopar water pump inlet tube on new Mopar water pump, installed new Mopar water pump with Mopar gasket, cleaned water pump pulley and reinstalled, installed new Mopar fan clutch, installed new upper and lower Gates radiator hoses, installed new serpentine belt, installed new Stant Superstat thermostat, installed new Mopar temperature sensor/sending unit in a new Mopar thermostat housing, installed new Mopar thermostat housing, installed new Gates heater core hoses, installed new transmission fluid lines to a new Mopar radiator, installed new Stat radiator cap, installed new Mopar overflow tank, refilled radiator and overflow with a 50/50 dilution of new Zerex G05 and distilled water. Ran Jeep (in place in garage with no air flow through grill) and heat worked great. Temp stayed below 200 with A/C on. Going to let cool overnight and check levels again tomorrow. Saving all old, original parts as spares.

If anyone had any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: tomtaylz

AndyG

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Jul 30, 2018
Alabama
I feel discriminated against . I don’t have an lj , now I feel minimalized and left out.

I’d like to see posts like-“ well , I cleaned that area outside between door and rear fender , it is a lot of real estate , you TJ guys wouldn’t understand how much more work these big rigs are to maintain. “

😄 just messing with the lj brotherhood man

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2018
Central PA
I'll play :) Things I've done since last September;

Frame (with gas tank removed) clean surface rust with wire brush, grind, and/or sand blast, wipe it down, self etching primer, then top coat spray paint
Replace fuel pump
Replace gas tank skid
Replace fender support brackets
17” wheels with TJ pattern
Touch up tub where hard top rubbed
Replace Upper rear control arms with Savvy Adjustable
Install Rancho 5000X shocks
Replace transfer case switch
Fix gas tank fill valve
Install new sub, speakers, head unit, and amp
Regear axles
Reinstall stock airbox
Replace multi function switch
Replace door bushings
Replace ignition switch
front axle U joints
New bushings front sway bar
Paint windshield frame
Raise seats
Adjust spare tire bumpers with new bumper
Replace vent cowl seal
Coat undercarriage with Fluid Film
Hard top missing hardware
Front & rear diff oil change
Trans & transfer oil change
Front diff gasket/seal replacement Diff gasket
Remove locking gas cap
New Spark plugs
Air filter
Serpentine belt and idler
Replace valve cover gasket
Replace rear rotors and pads
Clean inside of frame coat with Eastwood sealer
Center axles
Lift - Zone 3”
Replace Lower control arms(JKS)
Replace front track bar (JKS Adjustable)
Trans oil cooler install
Trans oil cooler supply line repair
Install new bumpers
Upgrade stereo
Bestop seat covers
Sound deadening floor and walls
Install Bedrug F&R
Sound deadening with Hot Head on hardtop
Steps with sliders
Add leak stop for RMS
Adjust bumpers for spare tire 1 ½”
H4 headlights
Adjust headlights
Paint fender Flares
Touch up hood
Paint oil pan
Install frame nutserts
Install transmission oil cooler
Install fuel filler tube
Seal AC into firewall
Paint spare tire carrier
Paint trans skid plate
Paint Gas cap cover
Paint battery tray and “other” tray

Things left on my To Do list, in no particular order

Replace windshield frame seal
Install soft top
Refoam seats
Brake lines in SS
Fix Rear window defroster
Replace rear main seal and oil pan
Reflash PCM
Replace transmission oil cooler lines and pan
Replace precats/header
LED driving lights

OP
04 LJ

04 LJ

Supporting Member
Mar 12, 2019
Winterville, NC
I'll play :) Things I've done since last September
Wow! That’s quite the list! Seems like you’ve done quite a few different variations of frame sealing, coating, painting, inner, outer etc. Any particular reason for all the different methods/variations? Once you’ve done 1 type does a 2nd, 3rd etc really add any additional benefit? I’m in the south and my frame doesn’t have a spec of rust. Everyone who looks at it says it looks like it just came from the showroom floor. Perhaps the PO did some sort of coating? I’m the 2nd owner.

JeepZilla380

TJ Addict
Ride of the Month Winner
May 30, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Gave her a tank of gas and drove to work yesterday. After last years Upgrade-a-thon I'm still just enjoying the work I put into her. Needing to drop the tank to fix the fuel burp and address a few leaks. Maybe after the Windrock trip next weekend.

Reactions: 04 LJ

gaabbee

May 13, 2019
long island ny
Did you do this only to try a solve a DW issue?
The ball joints were all shot and I could twist the bar by hand. It needed to get done anyway. I did the track bar last week and getting tires balanced today. It's amazing what the steering feels like now. (I just bought the jeep so going through everything that I can)

OP
04 LJ

04 LJ

Supporting Member
Mar 12, 2019
Winterville, NC
That’s awesome! I wish I had trails near by. We only have Uwharrie National Forest and it’s hours away. Nothing cool in ENC (or much of anywhere in NC that I’m aware of).

OP
04 LJ

04 LJ

Supporting Member
Mar 12, 2019
Winterville, NC
Yesterday was the cooling system overhaul.

Today I will be pulling it out from the garage for the first time since last summer.

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2018
Central PA
Wow! That’s quite the list! Seems like you’ve done quite a few different variations of frame sealing, coating, painting, inner, outer etc. Any particular reason for all the different methods/variations? Once you’ve done 1 type does a 2nd, 3rd etc really add any additional benefit? I’m in the south and my frame doesn’t have a spec of rust. Everyone who looks at it says it looks like it just came from the showroom floor. Perhaps the PO did some sort of coating? I’m the 2nd owner.
A couple of things, I'm probably a little bit anal about maintenance, and some of my first efforts were done incorrectly or poorly.

Reading any Jeep forum, frame rust is something that needs addressed. My jeep has a solid frame, but had surface rust. The PO/car dealer sprayed undercoating on the exterior prior to my purchase.

I initially addressed the inside of the frame with Eastwood's internal frame coat, but my limited shop space and time had an impact on my results. I bought the Jeep last August, but didn't start any long term maintenance until after the colder weather started. Any work I did, had to be done in one evening, so I could park my wife's car in the garage that night.

About 6 weeks ago, I had access to my garage for longer term repairs. This is when I dropped the gas tank/skid. I decided if I'm going to do the work, do it right. At this time, I drilled additional drain holes in the frame, cleaned the inside with a wire cable attachment in my drill, and washed with degreaser and a pressure washer. I then applied a second coat of Eastwood's internal frame coat. If I would have done this the first time, a second coat would not be necessary.

While I was working under the jeep, I saw some areas that appeared to be covered up with undercoating. Hence the wire wheel, sand blaster, or grinder to remove the undercoating and repaint.

Overall, if I would have done the job in the beginning with the proper tools and procedures, it would have taken a lot less effort. If my frame looked "showroom new", I probably would have only sprayed the undercarriage with fluid film for protection. With a spray gun, this is a 15 minute job.

Tonight, all my efforts seemed to have paid off. I took the top off and went for a ride. To celebrate our first topless ride, my wife and I picked up another couple and drove to a local restaurant. While eating, the restaurant owner/bar tender asked "who owns the blue jeep?" I raised my hand. He said he wants it, and offered to trade his Harley and cash. His wife took a selfie with my jeep. After all my efforts, I finally understand the meaning of "It's a Jeep Thing".

Last edited:
OP
04 LJ

04 LJ

Supporting Member
Mar 12, 2019
Winterville, NC
I’m not familiar with the internal frame coating. I’m gonna read up on it.

dudehitt

TJ Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2019
Phoenix
A couple of things, I'm probably a little bit anal about maintenance, and some of my first efforts were done incorrectly or poorly.

Reading any Jeep forum, frame rust is something that needs addressed. My jeep has a solid frame, but had surface rust. The PO/car dealer sprayed undercoating on the exterior prior to my purchase.

I initially addressed the inside of the frame with Eastwood's internal frame coat, but my limited shop space and time had an impact on my results. I bought the Jeep last August, but didn't start any long term maintenance until after the colder weather started. Any work I did, had to be done in one evening, so I could park my wife's car in the garage that night.

About 6 weeks ago, I had access to my garage for longer term repairs. This is when I dropped the gas tank/skid. I decided if I'm going to do the work, do it right. At this time, I drilled additional drain holes in the frame, cleaned the inside with a wire cable attachment in my drill, and washed with degreaser and a pressure washer. I then applied a second coat of Eastwood's internal frame coat. If I would have done this the first time, a second coat would not be necessary.

While I was working under the jeep, I saw some areas that appeared to be covered up with undercoating. Hence the wire wheel, sand blaster, or grinder to remove the undercoating and repaint.

Overall, if I would have done the job in the beginning with the proper tools and procedures, it would have taken a lot less effort. If my frame looked "showroom new", I probably would have only sprayed the undercarriage with fluid film for protection. With a spray gun, this is a 15 minute job.

Tonight, all my efforts seemed to have paid off. I took the top off and went for a ride. To celebrate our first topless ride, my wife and I picked up another couple and drove to a local restaurant. While eating, the restaurant owner/bar tender asked "who owns the blue jeep?" I raised my hand. He said he wants it, and offered to trade his Harley and cash. His wife took a selfie with my jeep. After all my efforts, I finally understand the meaning of "It's a Jeep Thing".
This thread is worthless without pics