What did you do to your LJ today?

bstrobel64

Got the Rubi spare on today with a fresh Wildpeak. I've had that 5th wheel sitting in my garage for a month and just today realized that it's not the same as the other 4! Realistically, how long would I be safe with this thing on the stock carrier and hinges before I pick up a Morryde carrier? I have some hockey pucks on order from Amazon to space out the bumpers, and will eventually rig up something to support the tire from the bottom off of the hitch, but if that's still playing with fire I'll order the Morryde sooner rather than later. The body on my old yj actually cracked at the hinges under the weight of a 31 and it would be really cool if that didn't happen again.

IMG_20201009_141832.jpg

Reactions: Hog and THEREALJIM

Viking Jeeper

Formerly known as "Mike the Silver TJ"
Supporting Member
Got the Rubi spare on today with a fresh Wildpeak. I've had that 5th wheel sitting in my garage for a month and just today realized that it's not the same as the other 4! Realistically, how long would I be safe with this thing on the stock carrier and hinges before I pick up a Morryde carrier? I have some hockey pucks on order from Amazon to space out the bumpers, and will eventually rig up something to support the tire from the bottom off of the hitch, but if that's still playing with fire I'll order the Morryde sooner rather than later. The body on my old yj actually cracked at the hinges under the weight of a 31 and it would be really cool if that didn't happen again.

View attachment 195257
I had a 33 on stock carrier for about year.

Reactions: bstrobel64

sourbluff

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have my 35 on stock tire carrier. Did use rubber mallets as extended snubbers so fits tight. From my understanding of what I’ve read on here is vibration when doesn’t fit tight that really causes issues. Do plan on upgraded carrier but are other things higher on priority list unless I misunderstood risk.

bstrobel64

Yeah that was the idea. I'll get it eventually but there's other stuff that's higher priority unless I'm in immediate risk of cracking the body.

Sea Cot

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Attempted to enjoy open air driving and the fall foliage, but the LJ had different plans. Went to start it and the gauges were freaking out and the Jeep made some never heard before sounds. Thought the PCM bit the dust. I pulled the battery and hooked it to the tester- 1% charge, so on to the charger it goes. For sanity, I moved the new battery I bought for my Outback last week. . . Jeep roared to life. Phew. Still managed to run errands in the open air, but at least the Jeep electronics are ok. . . for now.

Reactions: anarce

bstrobel64

Found the stupid rattle that's been haunting me to two weeks now. PSA check your battery mounts folks. The upper two studs where the bracket mounts underneath the tray on mine had cracked the body metal on the firewall and created a random rattle from hell. Booger welded it back together and and cooking up plans to brace the bracket to the inner fender well. Pictures of welds intentionally omitted.

Reactions: MountaineerTom

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Sprayed the undercarriage, flushed out the frame and washed the exterior again after our Outer Banks beach trip. Took the soft top completely off and installed the safari top for the next couple months.

Reactions: SoCalGlide

voodooridr

TJ Enthusiast
New sparkplugs (Champion Iridium), new valve cover grommets and one utterly destroyed crankcase breather elbow (Dorman to the temporary rescue) Kentrol rear glass hinges and replaced the beat down sway bar end links with JKS Quick disconnects
Installing the Currie Currectlynk steering next week
Ordered a variety of LED bulbs to fix the black holes in the cluster and climate control

anarce

TJ Enthusiast
I picked up some JK AEV Pintler wheels with almost new Toyo Open Country tires off craigslist. I finally had time to mount them up yesterday. They seem to have tamed down my vibes a little bit compared to the worn out BFGs. I think these look much better too! They came with black caps, but I ordered the yellow AEV caps and I think they look good on the yellow Jeep.

Before:

IMG_20200730_081230560_HDR.jpg

After:

IMG_20201019_083231173_HDR.jpg

voodooridr

TJ Enthusiast
I picked up some JK AEV Pintler wheels with almost new Toyo Open Country tires off craigslist. I finally had time to mount them up yesterday. They seem to have tamed down my vibes a little bit compared to the worn out BFGs. I think these look much better too! They came with black caps, but I ordered the yellow AEV caps and I think they look good on the yellow Jeep.

Before:

View attachment 197236

After:

View attachment 197238
I like it, what lift is that?

voodooridr

TJ Enthusiast
Thanks! It's a Rough Country 4" lift from the previous owner. I don't recommend it. :LOL: I like the ride height, but the shocks are garbage and the arms are not adjustable.
I like the stance
I'm planning on a 3" Savvy lift, 1.25" body lift and Fox shocks so mine should look very similar to yours (even the proper color)
20201012-152520.jpg

Reactions: anarce

leftystrat62

Supporting Member
Can someone share the inside rear cargo dimension. Distance from back of drivers seat to closed rear tale gate, tub floor height to ceiling height, inside wheel well to other wheel well. Thank you.

Moab

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Five weeks after someone crashed into me and totaled my Black LJ, my custom shop came across an 06 that had just a bit more miles, but was built just a bit better too. After a thorough search underneath and a rewarding test drive, I agreed to purchase. But not before I added a few goodies. A week later it was ready to pick up and Friday I drove her home. Went for a drive today. That scorching hot Cali sun couldn’t have felt better through the alien shade. View attachment 184409View attachment 184410
Man. Nice Jeep. I'm envious. I like the switch to black flares. I never liked that stock semi matching color.

Your Jeep is my dream Jeep. LJ, khaki color, at and 4.0. I would be good to go. Thats what my next Jeep is.