What did you do to your TJ today?

Set it up as my home for the next few days

image.jpg

Got the Rubi spare on today with a fresh Wildpeak. I've had that 5th wheel sitting in my garage for a month and just today realized that it's not the same as the other 4! Realistically, how long would I be safe with this thing on the stock carrier and hinges before I pick up a Morryde carrier? I have some hockey pucks on order from Amazon to space out the bumpers, and will eventually rig up something to support the tire from the bottom off of the hitch, but if that's still playing with fire I'll order the Morryde sooner rather than later. The body on my old yj actually cracked at the hinges under the weight of a 31 and it would be really cool if that didn't happen again.

IMG_20201009_141832.jpg

Reactions: Hog and THEREALJIM
Finally dialed my driveline vibes out of my Rubi. Getting a good driveshaft was key , and then it was pinion angle and clearance as well as enough travel for the shaft slip joint.

Learned so much.... I'm not anti-lift but I stand by the statement that a lifted TJ is probably not going to work right by accident.

Last edited:
Got the Rubi spare on today with a fresh Wildpeak. I've had that 5th wheel sitting in my garage for a month and just today realized that it's not the same as the other 4! Realistically, how long would I be safe with this thing on the stock carrier and hinges before I pick up a Morryde carrier? I have some hockey pucks on order from Amazon to space out the bumpers, and will eventually rig up something to support the tire from the bottom off of the hitch, but if that's still playing with fire I'll order the Morryde sooner rather than later. The body on my old yj actually cracked at the hinges under the weight of a 31 and it would be really cool if that didn't happen again.

View attachment 195257
I had a 33 on stock carrier for about year.

Reactions: bstrobel64
This is what I found today when investigating fumes, heat and road noise.
Ordered a new inner shifter boot and the plastic bezel frame for the main shifter boot.

IMG_8476.jpg

Wrapped a couple strips of Gorilla tape on the upper and middle sections of the boot to hold the rips together while waiting for the new parts.

Last edited:
This is what I found today when investigating fumes, heat and road noise.
Ordered a new inner shifter boot and the plastic bezel frame for the main shifter boot.

View attachment 195300

Wrapped a couple strips of Gorilla tape on the upper and middle sections of the boot to hold the rips together while waiting for the new parts.
Yep, it was even worse on my 2001.o_O Mazin' what 19 years of forth and back can do to a rubber boot.

Finally got a decent SWR meter, and got my SWR tuned. 1.7 to 1.9 across the band - not great, but acceptable for now.

View attachment 195276

OLD POS:
View attachment 195277

Where it is now:
View attachment 195278

Sometimes lack of grounding/ground plane or the proximity of metal or even the metal cords in the spare tire will affect SWR. You should be able to achieve SWR readings below 1.5.
What antenna and what type of mount are you using ?

Last edited:
I installed a MORryde tailgate reinforcement kit and a Oedro rear bumper. Happy with both so far.

View attachment 195305
I've got that bumper, watch for rust. The Chinese bumpers aren't very well coated. It will hold water in the well below the spare, and also the welds tend to rust prematurely.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I have my 35 on stock tire carrier. Did use rubber mallets as extended snubbers so fits tight. From my understanding of what I’ve read on here is vibration when doesn’t fit tight that really causes issues. Do plan on upgraded carrier but are other things higher on priority list unless I misunderstood risk.

The Chinese bumpers aren't very well coated. It will hold water in the well below the spare, and also the welds tend to rust prematurely.

I've got that bumper, watch for rust. The Chinese bumpers aren't very well coated. It will hold water in the well below the spare, and also the welds tend to rust prematurely.
Are you saying that there are bad things made in China? I guess you haven't tried the soup yet?
batsoup.jpg
😷🤬

Last edited:
Got my 03 and went and got everybody breakfast and loaded up my two and a half year old grandson and rode around the front yard ... We've got a pretty good terrace in the yard so we went up and down that... He looked at me and said..."your crazy."

I let him talk on the PA.

Now we are up at my Jeep shed and playing in the water by the door and with the dogs... My daughter is going to kill me this kid's going to be filthy.

I put the footman loop on the hood for the windshield... It came with two angled rings that fit right around the bumpers the windshield rest on but I've never seen those before on any TJ.

Putting those little loops on it it's kind of hard for a one-man job... I had to rest a piece of wood on the hood to hold it in place and then put grease on the two washers to keep them from dropping down into the engine compartment... Then try to hold on to that little nut and then I had to tighten it with a socket with no ratchet just to not over tighten it.

I dabbed a little silicone on it just to keep it from trying to vibrate loose.

I've got a set of the little rear pinion adjusters from zone ... These are for minor adjustments to your opinion angle and only cost they are not a substitute for adjustable control arms ...but for all the guys that are keeping their lift around 2 in if they don't have the budget and they get pinion vibes these might need to be looked at. I haven't put mine in the 06, I don't have any vibes but I know my opinion angles are out some ... would probably be the kind of thing once you did it it makes it smoother than I realized it could be.

But once you do it you've elongated your bracket hole so you need to remember that.

Of course the offset washer can be used with any other control arms also.

I finally found an end to the CV drive shaft in my 03 saga...

New 1" taller springs turned into pinion vibes that turned into a bunch of adjustment , which was ultimately in vain , and that turned into a CV shaft and more adjustment and that turned into a bad new CV shaft and that turned into starting over and getting a new shaft that is excellent and dialing the new angle in again ... You know you're getting the hang of something when you can walk in the garage and get every tool that you need out for that specific task.

I know I'm being redundant and I'm not telling anybody anything they don't know...but it is unbelievable the amount of things that come into play when you start lifting over 2 inches... And things change other things... Like rotating the pinion can push the axle over with the track bar , and the track bar clearance to the skid plate can become iffy, and your wife can near divorce you for being in the Jeep shed every night.