What did you do to your TJ today?

Greased all the new steering fittings and swaybar disconnects. Very exciting stuff.

Thought about doing an air change in my tires, but they were out of Druidia Perri-Air.

Opened up the box with our spare tire swingarm for the rear bumper in preparation for that install this weekend.

My younger brother is taking it out for weekend and immediately started breaking things 😆

BD1DD19C-3A06-41CE-A7A1-67D65BBC6730.jpeg

EF674852-AA22-4998-903D-1AB7FD5E9619.jpeg

Reactions: Apparition
Got an assortment of blue LED bulbs and one worked reasonably well for the shift indicator (to match the HVAC control and settings on the radio), though a bit dark and purple-y, but better than the bright white that lit up the interior like a scene out of a movie.
20201105_200730.jpg

Started the hard top wiring project today. I had forgotten that I had bought a different year harness for the dash and had planned on removing the needed wiring out of the purchased setup to convert my original harness. I had forgotten that was to be the plan. I was halfway done removing the original for a total harness swap, when I realized the cluster connections were different. No problem. I'll just remove what I need from the donor and integrate as needed.

Except............one little wire runs from the defroster switch to the cluster and with the connections being totally different, I couldn't unpin the wire from the donor and insert it into the original connector. Crap. My 3 day weekend project was now in jeopardy. I was able to pull a pin out of the original connector, took a picture of the needed pin, and ran up to work to check our offerings. Found one single pin in the 100 drawer bin of pins. Yay.
20201106_155128.jpg

20201106_162515.jpg

Now I can get on it tomorrow, hopefully without any other issues. Lol. Yeah, right.

Last edited:
Got an assortment of blue LED bulbs and one worked reasonably well for the shift indicator (to match the HVAC control and settings on the radio), though a bit dark and purple-y, but better than the bright white that lit up the interior like a scene out of a movie.
View attachment 201532

Started the hard top wiring project today. I had forgotten that I had bought a different year harness for the dash and had planned on removing the needed wiring out of the purchased setup to convert my original harness. I had forgotten that was to be the plan. I was halfway done removing the original for a total harness swap, when I realized the cluster connections were different. No problem. I'll just remove what I need from the donor and integrate as needed.

Except............one little wire runs from the defroster switch to the cluster and with the connections being totally different, I couldn't unpin the wire from the donor and insert it into the original connector. Crap. My 3 day weekend project was now in jeopardy. I was able to pull a pin out of the original connector, took a picture of the needed pin, and ran up to work to check our offerings. Found one single pin in the 100 drawer bin of pins. Yay.
View attachment 201533

View attachment 201534

Now I can get on it tomorrow, hopefully without any other issues. Lol. Yeah, right.
You need the lighted cupholders set on blue. Its a whole new level of TJ interior technology. I spearheaded the concept here. My '03 is the pilot program test vehicle. So far my mileage hasn't changed and no codes. @Hog is going to come see them soon. They may not be legal in Georgia yet.

Last edited:

View attachment 201533

Good luck tackling this project @GEEP4ME

For anyone that’s interested in this same project, I was lucky enough to find a hardtop wire harness from a 1997 TJ at a you pull junkyard a while back. My neighbor and I wired up my 05 with that hardtop harness.
While I was there I also snagged a couple extra instrument cluster connectors with about a 3 inch lead of the wires to help fellow Jeepers wire their own harnesses too but I forgot that I had them until I read this @GEEP4ME post. Thanks for the reminder!

If anyone is looking for these pins, send me a message and I can mail you what you need. The colors wouldn’t match but that’s the least of anyone’s trouble. I have to say, it’s very nice having a working defroster and wiper/washer. If anyone is looking and can’t find a junk TJ for the pins, I THINK the same pins were used in the early years of the Liberty I THINK, don’t quote me on that. Anyway, I’m glad to help if anyone is looking for the pins, I have about 10-12 if I’m not mistaken that I’ll be glad to share.

Got a bike rack! I was bored so I checked out "Gumtree" (Aussie version of Craig's List) and somebody was selling a brand new Thurle tow hitch bike rack for $70au only a few miles from me, they cost $200au ($140 us) retail in Australia! so I took a chance on it not fitting the TJ and bought it anyway. Turns out perfect fit for us pizza cutter advocates. Bargain at $50us :) So simple to attach/detach and its built very well in Sweden, no movement at all its "Rock Solid"

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

Last edited:
I believe you have not seen the 3.6L yet. I installed a drain plug valve and with where the filter is located is, makes it an easy oil change compared to any vehicle.
TJ oil filter position Sucks! I dont believe anyone who says they just unscrew it and lift it off without spilling old oil all over the place unless you have the reach of an "orangutan"!

TJ oil filter position Sucks! I dont believe anyone who says they just unscrews it and lifts it off without spilling old oil all over the place unless you have the reach of an "orangutan"!
To minimize the oil spillage I use a plastic bag (dog poop bag) around the filter and slide the filter into the bag as it spins off.

Got a bike rack! I was bored so I checked out "Gumtree" (Aussie version of Craig's List) and somebody was selling a brand new Thurle tow hitch bike rack for $70au only a few miles from me, they cost $200au ($140 us) retail in Australia! so I took a chance on it not fitting the TJ and bought it anyway. Turns out perfect fit for us pizza cutter advocates. Bargain at $50us :) So simple to attach/detach and its built very well in Sweden, no movement at all its "Rock Solid"

View attachment 201571

View attachment 201572
I just need to buy a bike now to compliment it Lol NAH!

To minimize the oil spillage I use a plastic bag (dog poop bag) around the filter and slide the filter into the bag as it spins off.
Mmm I am so glad some think of everything! my socket set left underneath well away from the drain plug will never be the same socket set again! Plastic bag around the filter it is next time then lol

TJ oil filter position Sucks! I dont believe anyone who says they just unscrew it and lift it off without spilling old oil all over the place unless you have the reach of an "orangutan"!
I place the catch pan underneath the filter and can easily reach the filter from above with a ratchet and filter adapter. Loosen and then unscrew by hand with very minimal spillage. A breeze compared to my F150.