What did you do to your TJ today?

Spent the last 4 days replacing the rear main seal, oil pan, transmission cooler lines, transmission pan, and shifter cable. The oil and transmission pans had some rust bubbles, and were inexpensive. The RMS was easy, but getting the exhaust header off about kicked my butt. My bolts between the header and exhaust manifold were very corroded and I couldn't get a wrench on them until I removed the left fender.

The transmission oil cooler lines were easy, once the exhaust hear was out of the way. The only issue I has was one of the spring clips, that hold the line into the radiator cooler dropped on my floor. I spent an hour looking, and I couldn't find it. Local auto parts store had a 12 pack of 3 different size for $11. Sure enough, after I bought a replacement, I found the lost clip laying on the floor in an obvious location. Doh!

Reactions: Jim King and anarce
Installed a flood light and tested it in the field.

IMG_2015.JPG

New grab handles for the rear to help kids climb in when windows are out. Swapped the soft top for the hard top. Such a PITA. No wonder I didn’t do it last year.
Also took my first drive with the new short shifter. Night and day difference.
View attachment 203514View attachment 203515
Tell me about that shifter, do you have an NV 3550 and is it smooth or notch, and which shifter do you have.

Tell me about that shifter, do you have an NV 3550 and is it smooth or notch, and which shifter do you have.
I have the NV3550. It’s notchy so far. Stiff but people say it’s breaks in nicely. But the shifts are so short vs the stock setup. I have to double check I’m in neutral when I start up the Jeep. It’s that close to 3rd and 4th. I like it. I picked it up on amazon warehouse for $200 brand new which is the only reason I bought it. But at $300 I’d say it’s worth looking into. The one I bought for the Nv3550 is below. Also came with a nice new shift knob.
7EA6746E-E854-4D10-8634-E26133F751FA.jpeg

I have the NV3550. It’s notchy so far. Stiff but people say it’s breaks in nicely. But the shifts are so short vs the stock setup. I have to double check I’m in neutral when I start up the Jeep. It’s that close to 3rd and 4th. I like it. I picked it up on amazon warehouse for $200 brand new which is the only reason I bought it. But at $300 I’d say it’s worth looking into. The one I bought for the Nv3550 is below. Also came with a nice new shift knob.View attachment 203551
How's the clearance between the shift knob and dash? I've read some reviews that it puts the knob closer to the dash and can almost bang your knuckles.

How's the clearance between the shift knob and dash? I've read some reviews that it puts the knob closer to the dash and can almost bang your knuckles.
Not even close when I’m in 3rd. I’m really digging it. Shifts feel solid and doesn’t want to pop out unlike before. Maybe that depends if you have a TC drop or not? I can’t speak on that

Changed the transmission fluid. What came out was pretty dark and cloudy. And .... metal flakes.
PXL_20201115_184443725.jpg

Changed TC fluid, that looked great. Very red, fairly clear.

Then bled the brakes. Fluid was very dark, cloudy, and I saw little bits of stuff in the tube as I bled them. I used a power bleeder, it worked great.

Overall, shifts much, much nicer (although second still needs a lot of patience) and the brakes have a lot more feel.

Picked up power steering fluid, oil and a filter for next weekend.