What did you do to your TJ today?

U will be coming along next time for sure.. kinda happened last second.. we even said.. dang should have called John
No worries cause if it was yesterday I was babysitting 2 grandkids and my father..... my wife, youngest daughter and mom went out together to buy my mom new Christmas clothes, my dad can't pick out mom's clothes worth a flip...... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Hog and AndyG
PSC big bore XD steering box installation went very well. The Fitment was spot on but I also have a body lift. My son showed up just in time to fill with fluid and turn the wheels back and forth. I had all of the ball joints replaced and aligned before the steering box replacement. Like driving a different vehicle.

C424C253-643B-4AAB-AF22-583698639387.jpeg

I Have to ask this question, when would you use the hand throttle? I’m thinking it may be helpful when on the rocks to maintain clutch brake control? since I have not noticed a hand throttle mentioned or seen in some of the post I have been looking at. Thank you in advance

Yes, starting off in tricky spots on an incline (standard) and slow rolling down easy parts of the trail, winching, there are time when its very convenient. For $50 and an hour to install its a nice little modification.

Interstate an option 😆

Tried to track down my squeak today.
I went over to Rock Bottom in Riverside and we spent about an hour messing around.
Apparently, there was very little (if any) grease in some of the rear suspension joints. We filled those up. Nope
We disconnected the rear sway bar. Nope
I guess I will buy a couple of isolators and see if it is the srpings.

https://johnsonmotorsports.com/rock-bottom-offroad/
While we were there, I wanted to check out the bump stops. Looks like I could add a puck and/or better bump stop to the front. It is touching the top of the fender flare. And I have a rub mark about 1/4" into the flare.

IMG_8635.jpg

IMG_8636.jpg

IMG_8637.jpg

Reactions: DETOUR and Kiwi TJ
Tried to track down my squeak today.
I went over to Rock Bottom in Riverside and we spent about an hour messing around.
Apparently, there was very little (if any) grease in some of the rear suspension joints. We filled those up. Nope
We disconnected the rear sway bar. Nope
I guess I will buy a couple of isolators and see if it is the srpings.

https://johnsonmotorsports.com/rock-bottom-offroad/
While we were there, I wanted to check out the bump stops. Looks like I could add a puck and/or better bump stop to the front. It is touching the top of the fender flare. And I have a rub mark about 1/4" into the flare.

View attachment 212160

View attachment 212161

View attachment 212162
I have never seen one of those out here. Its like yoga for Jeeps ….and flex , now S-t-r-e-t-c-h !!! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BlueChip and Hog
Yes, starting off in tricky spots on an incline (standard) and slow rolling down easy parts of the trail, winching, there are time when its very convenient. For $50 and an hour to install its a nice little modification.

Interstate an option 😆
You can do two for 20 bucks if you order the bike cable and bike lever from Amazon...Just sayin'.

I have a very slight leak. Was much worse when I first got her. Replaced the VC gasket and grommets that really helped quite a bit but still get the onesie twosie drops. I may try the oil pan before getting to replacing the RMS.
Sorry for the delayed response. I determined today I have a mild oil pan leak. Blows out while driving and then drips down. Nothing major to repair, other than cutting the exhaust the previous owner custom made 😂

Reactions: Fonz54
Yesterday, took the dog for a short drive to the car wash. Forgot he recently discovered the joy of a sprinkler and/or hose with a sprayer. Sigh, he was bouncing all over the inside. Don't think he hurt anything. Then when I shut off the car wash hose, he started chewing the rear seat belt. Sigh. Ebay, here I come again.

Got it home and took some polish to the back bottom of the tub where a previous owner got black overspray on the red paint. Came right off with about 2 minutes worth of work.
20201220_152628.jpg

20201220_152936.jpg

20201220_152947.jpg

20201220_153518.jpg

Saturday I noticed my '06 was a little busy on the highway and it had a creaking noise that I've been trying to pin down for a while... When we got out on the trail about went crazy when I started paying attention to it.

It wouldn't do it if you got out and pushed up and down on the Jeep but if you went over anything on the trail moved the front suspension it would do it.

Sunday a guy came over and I had him look underneath while I turned the wheel and he said man that part is moving pretty bad at your pitman arm... Well it made me feel good that he knew what a pitman arm was... Sure enough I had a bad ES 3096 L drag link end.... And I also noticed my track bar had a substantial jump in the joint at the frame end.

I had a new end on hand so I changed that out and drove the Jeep and really liked the improvement.... And I was like okay.... If it's this good now I cannot wait to change the track bar.

Today I was able to move some things around and hook up with @Hog at his place at the lake.... He was putting in a sweet set of seats he bought and then let me tackle my track bar in the garage

It was one of those deals where we barely had the tools we needed... And thank God we had a ball joint press because I had to change out one of the bushings... This was due to the fact that I had drilled mine out to run a 12 mm bolt at the axle.

In the process I realized the difference in a Moog stock track bar bushing and the stock track bar bushing in a rough country track bar (which is what got me upgrading bushings to start with)....You can tell the quality difference just by looking at the detail of the machining and rubber molding. Your bushings are your connections.... Don't take the quality of them lightly.

So we put the track bar in and test drove it and centered the wheel.

I could not be happier with what I've got in this Jeep and what it is. Not only does it drive fantastic... But it is amazing how much different it feels.... I'm having trouble finding the words but there was a harshness in the steering that is gone. All this and it has a set of tires on it that I really wouldn't even consider putting on one... It's an E range Mickey Thompson mud tire on a 16-in wheel... Just bear in mind the vehicles got 78,000 mi and I paid $9,800... And it was just a side project. It would be really sweet with a good set of all terrains.

I walked away with two things...

A TJ is designed to drive nicer than its predecessors.... If it doesn't.... You need to check it out.

Secondly it amazed me just how much one meaningful improvement changed the way you're thinking about a vehicle.... I played with the idea of selling this thing... Making it more of an extreme build with 35s... And keeping it about like it is...right now I'm thinking about putting the wheels and tires from my '03 onto it and seeing how the wheels on it look with my white one.

On a closing note I want to say something way more important...

Today I lost a very good friend and one of the best employees I had ever had the pleasure to know. He was really a business partner, my administrative assistant.... his name was Al Lang ... He was 42 and had hereditary kidney disease , this ultimately led to dialysis and then a transplant and he just never got back to the level of health he had before ..... he had a stroke last Monday and died today. 42.

I really appreciate Hog letting me come hang out with him tonight.... It was just what I needed.

The point all this is stop, take time this week to think about how short of a time we are all really here.... And what really matters.

Spread all the kindness you can.... I'm not trying to be heavy... But remember there are people all the time going through harder things than a bad day at work or a part for your jeep that came in wrong.

All of my employees decided to forgo all or part of their Christmas bonus to give to his wife and daughter. He had two college teaching degrees and never could make his way into the school system with his age and health ... He was very good baseball coach and spent a lot of time training local ball players.

Thanks for reading this... I enjoy being here with you guys. It really is an outlet for me.

Last edited:
Saturday I noticed my '06 was a little busy on the highway and it had a creaking noise that I've been trying to pin down for a while... When we got out on the trail about went crazy when I started paying attention to it.

It wouldn't do it if you got out and pushed up and down on the Jeep but if you went over anything on the trail moved the front suspension it would do it.

Sunday a guy came over and I had him look underneath while I turned the wheel and he said man that part is moving pretty bad at your pitman arm... Well it made me feel good that he knew what a pitman arm was... Sure enough I had a bad ES 3096 L drag link end.... And I also noticed my track bar had a substantial jump in the joint at the frame end.

I had a new end on hand so I changed that out and drove thr Jeep and really liked the improvement.... And I was like okay.... If it's this good now I cannot wait to change the track bar.

Today I was able to move some things around and hook up with @Hog at his place at the lake.... He was putting in a sweet set of seats he bought and then let me tackle my track bar in the garage

It was one of those deals where we barely had the tools we needed... And thank God we had a ball joint press because I had to change out one of the bushings... This was due to the fact that I had drilled mine out to run a 12 mm bolt at the axle.

In the process I realized the difference in a Moog stock track bar bushing and the stock track bar bushing in a rough country track bar (which is what you me upgrading bushings to start with )....You can tell the quality difference just by looking at the detail of the machining and rubber molding. Your bushings are your connections.... Don't take the quality of them lightly.

I could not be happier with what I've got in this Jeep and what it is. Not only does it drive fantastic... But it is amazing how much different it feels.... I'm having trouble finding the words but there was a harshness in the steering that is gone. All this and it has a set of tires on it that I really wouldn't even consider putting on one... It's a d range Mickey Thompson mud tire on a 16-in wheel... Just bear in mind the vehicles got 78,000 mi and I paid $9,800... And it was just a side project. It would be really sweet with a good set of all terrains.

A TJ is designed to drive nicer than its predecessors.... If it doesn't.... You need to check it out.

Secondly it amazed me just how much one meaningful improvement changed the way you're thinking about a vehicle.... I played with the idea of selling this thing... Making it more of an extreme build with 35s... And keeping it about like it is...right now I'm thinking about putting the wheels and tires from my '03 onto it and seeing how the wheels on it look with my white one.

On the closing note I want to say something way more important...

Today I lost a very good friend and one of the best employees I had ever had the pleasure to know. He was really a business partner, he my administrative assistant.... his name was Al... He was 42 and had hereditary kidney disease , this ultimately led to dialysis and then a transplant and he just never got back to the level of health he had before ..... he had a stroke last Monday and died today. 42.

I really appreciate Hog letting me come hang out with him tonight.... It was just what I needed.

The point all this is stop, take a time this week to think about how short of a time we are all really here.... And what really matters.

Spread all the kindness you can.... I'm not trying to be heavy... But remember there are people all the time going through harder things then a bad day at work or a part for your jeep that came in wrong.

All of my employees decided to forgo all or part of their Christmas bonus to give to his wife and daughter. He had two college teaching degrees and never could make his way into the school system with his age and health ... He was very good baseball coach and spent a lot of time training local ball players.

Thanks for reading this... I enjoy being here with you guys. It really is an outlet for me.
I'm sorry for your loss. Prayers.

Reactions: jeepguy03 and AndyG

I had a new end on hand so I changed that out and drove the Jeep and really liked the improvement.... And I was like okay.... If it's this good now I cannot wait to change the track bar.

In the process I realized the difference in a Moog stock track bar bushing and the stock track bar bushing in a rough country track bar (which is what got me upgrading bushings to start with)....You can tell the quality difference just by looking at the detail of the machining and rubber molding. Your bushings are your connections.... Don't take the quality of them lightly.

I could not be happier with what I've got in this Jeep and what it is. Not only does it drive fantastic... But it is amazing how much different it feels.... I'm having trouble finding the words but there was a harshness in the steering that is gone. All this and it has a set of tires on it that I really wouldn't even consider putting on one... It's a d range Mickey Thompson mud tire on a 16-in wheel... Just bear in mind the vehicles got 78,000 mi and I paid $9,800... And it was just a side project. It would be really sweet with a good set of all terrains.

On a closing note I want to say something way more important...

Today I lost a very good friend and one of the best employees I had ever had the pleasure to know. He was really a business partner, he my administrative assistant.... his name was Al... He was 42 and had hereditary kidney disease , this ultimately led to dialysis and then a transplant and he just never got back to the level of health he had before ..... he had a stroke last Monday and died today. 42.

The point all this is stop, take time this week to think about how short of a time we are all really here.... And what really matters.

Spread all the kindness you can.... I'm not trying to be heavy... But remember there are people all the time going through harder things then a bad day at work or a part for your jeep that came in wrong.

2 things

First so sorry for your loss, good friends are hard to come by and harder to lose!! Prayers for the family!!

Second,

Since you were @Hog place I now understand his crazy one word texts he was sending me.........