What did you do to your other vehicle today?

Rear brakes and a front right wheel bearing on the Honda Accord we bought to keep miles off the vehicles we like. Apparently this one defies traditional logic (that the bad bearing gets noisier when it's the outside wheel in a turn) because it still sounds like I have a super swamper in just the driver front corner. It's a pressed-in bearing so I'm really excited about repeating that install process. 🙄

Last edited:
Rear brakes and a front right wheel bearing on the Honda Accord we bought to keep miles off the vehicles we like. Apparently this one defies traditional logic (that the bad bearing gets noisier when it's the outside wheel in a turn) because it still sounds like I have a super swamper in just the driver front corner. It's a pressed-in bearing so I'm really excited about repeating that install process. 🙄

I drove into town to pick up a tool from OReillys to do the wheel bearing. Got home, went inside and ate a healthy sized breakfast burrito, came outside and the wheel lug nuts were still hot to the touch.

Once I got it apart, the bearings were full of metal shavings and it makes audible noise when spinning it by hand as well as feeling like it's full of gravel. Glad I turned around and went home instead of driving the 380 miles I'd planned today (and will now do tomorrow instead).

It feels like an electric car now because it's so quiet by comparison. 🤣

Edit: my wife was kind enough to take a photo, I didn't take the time to.
IMG_20230531_215258.jpg

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
  • Wow
Reactions: Zorba and RINC
trailer1e.jpg

Trailer project: Swapped the good tire off the old rusty rim onto the "new" $20 rim that had a completely trashed tire. Rusty rim went to the curb where 30 minutes later one of the many metal recyclers grabbed it.

trailer1c.jpg

Then bolted it onto the trailer.

Reactions: RINC and ColoJeep
View attachment 428995
Trailer project: Swapped the good tire off the old rusty rim onto the "new" $20 rim that had a completely trashed tire. Rusty rim went to the curb where 30 minutes later one of the many metal recyclers grabbed it.

View attachment 428996
Then bolted it onto the trailer.

The 1st pic had me thinking you were upgrading the Jeep tyres.

• Haha
Reactions: ColoJeep and Zorba
Changed the oil in the old MBZ today - 250 miles late. I hate that, and its been years since I missed it by that much. Will change both fuel filters tomorrow.

Then flipped the trailer upside down to pull its axle and get new spring perches welded on to lower the axle to the bottom of the leaf springs:

DSC02048.JPG

DSC02049.JPG

DSC02051.JPG

I was kind this past weekend and helped my not as mechanically inclined brother on his Ram 5.7 Hemi....

Exhaust manifold - warped and two broken studs. Research showed replacing the manifold would yield another warped manifold and broken bolts - poor design and when they heat cycle they warp. Solution is to machine or sand the used manifold. Was able to sand it from about 0.060" out down to within 0.005" of flat. Plug welded nuts onto the broken studs. I was dreading this job, it went pretty easily.

He also needed a new upper ball joint (replaced the UCA) and CV joint on same side. The hope was the taper on the lower ball joint would come off easily and not have to rip the boot/replace. No. Way. In. Hell. Horrible, ended up going to a fork, still wouldn't pop. Fortunately a neighbor had a portapower with a wedge as we absolutely were not getting this ball joint to separate. We then had to replace the lower ball joint (didn't have one, had to buy from local store). It fought us the whole way out and in.

The "difficult" job - exhaust - 4 hours. The "easy" job - ball joints and CV - about 8......

• USA Proud
  • Face Palm
Reactions: Modoc Guy and RINC
Not for me. The easy job usually turns out more difficult, and the difficult job usually turns out even more difficult! :ROFLMAO:

I think part of it is expectations. I'll go into a difficult job prepared for it to be difficult. By comparison to my expectation, it often isn't too bad. The 10 minute easy job I expect to be easy. When it isn't as easy as I expected, I get frustrated.

Ordered brakes for the KL. I drove it the other day and when stopping it would lurch (grab, let go, grab, let go). Not a horrible amount, but enough for me to ask my wife how long it had been doing that. She said she hadn't felt anything 😑 Shes at 106k miles and we've never touched them, so a decent set whatever is in there.

Her KL was a special order I believe (we bought used with 35k miles). The 2.4l V4 AWD versions came with single piston front calipers and smaller 278mm rear rotors with also a single piston caliper. The larger 3.2 V6 4wd KLs with tow packages came with dual piston calipers and larger 330mm rear rotors. Her 2.4 has the dual piston setup, so had to order that. Went with Centric pads/rotors.