What did you do to your other vehicle today?

You may like the site 67-72chevytrucks.com. All kinds of info on the site, not just the 67 to 72 trucks. I am RINC on there also.
+1 This is another non eyepatch style informative site. I am GVW 5400 on there.

Reactions: RINC
Pulled my 1954 DIVCO out of storage to bring to my wife’s family’s dairy 100th anniversary this Sat. Her dad bought it new in 1954. Changed the oil, rebuilt the carb, bled the brakes, clayed and waxed it. Now it looks as good as when my FIL and I restored it 30 yrs ago.

C6174C19-F9C1-4347-8B88-D0CED15362A5.jpeg

Pulled my 1954 DIVCO out of storage to bring to my wife’s family’s dairy 100th anniversary this Sat. Her dad bought it new in 1954. Changed the oil, rebuilt the carb, bled the brakes, clayed and waxed it. Now it looks as good as when my FIL and I restored it 30 yrs ago.

View attachment 288237

GTFO !

That is cool. :cool:

Reactions: John Cooper
I'm building a hitch gate for my XJ and got it to the point that it's semi functional this afternoon. I still have some fab work, finish welding, painting, etc. to do but it's getting there. The only thing I plan to add to the back is a fold down or more likely a fold up table.

21-11-06 1.JPG
21-11-06 2.JPG

replaced the oil and filter in the chevy company truck today. 2.5 gallons of Delvac 1300 super 15w40 and a AC Delco filter. $38 for a oil change for a diesel, not bad at all in my opinion.

also changed 1 glow plug out. a bit of a bitch wedging my head in-between the tire and upper fender to reach the glow plug tucked way back in deep but at least it didnt break off.

Reactions: RINC and Zorba
Dumped some Sta-bil in the tank of the CX500 and took it for a short ride. All prepped for winter as it spends it winters a heated garage now. As that bike is almost 43 years old and not ridden much anymore, I think it's time to dump the MC plate and go with an Antique plate.

Replaced the radiator and puke bottle in the old MBZ:
DSC00546.JPG

Old and new...

DSC00547.JPG

New radiator bolted up to the oil cooler. I had hoped to avoid removing the oil cooler because of the glorious mess it would make - but I ended up pulling it. Very easy.

DSC00550.JPG

All back together again, fluids topped up, testing tomorrow. So easy even a Belly Dancer can do it!

Replaced the radiator and puke bottle in the old MBZ:
View attachment 292861
Old and new...

View attachment 292862
New radiator bolted up to the oil cooler. I had hoped to avoid removing the oil cooler because of the glorious mess it would make - but I ended up pulling it. Very easy.

View attachment 292863
All back together again, fluids topped up, testing tomorrow. So easy even a Belly Dancer can do it!
Good job!
What year is the Benz? I was surprised to see a aluminum / plastic tank radiator!

I guess I am just old, looking at the front end in the photo I am thinking mid 80's, so normal for the plastic alum. setup.
The " Old " Benz is still pretty new in my world.
Is that turbo setup aftercooled or is that wishful thinking on my part?
At least the diesel is straight mechanical injection!

The newest all brass / copper radiator I have is in our 1980 K-20.

Good job!
What year is the Benz? I was surprised to see a aluminum / plastic tank radiator!

I guess I am just old, looking at the front end in the photo I am thinking mid 80's, so normal for the plastic alum. setup.
The " Old " Benz is still pretty new in my world.
Is that turbo setup aftercooled or is that wishful thinking on my part?
At least the diesel is straight mechanical injection!

The newest all brass / copper radiator I have is in our 1980 K-20.
Its an '85, the last year for the OM617A 5 cyl diesel engine. I consider it "middle aged". No aftercooler. In '86, the W126 chassis underwent its mid-cycle upgrade. It got a driver's side airbag with knee bolsters, and a long wheelbase version was available. The diesels got the new 6 cyl. OM601 (If I remember the number correctly). The new engine had no commonality with the old one, which was introduced as a naturally aspirated 4 cyl in 1968. The new engine wasn't quite as reliable as the old - it was known to crack heads under certain circumstances albeit fairly rarely.

At some point, I don't know if it was the '86 refresh, or sometime later; they added a rear pop-up feature to the sunroof - which I'd like to have on my car. What I like about the sunroof is that its METAL, I don't think anybody's doing them that way anymore. When I close a sunroof, I want it *closed* with some steel over my head, thank you very much!

This car is living proof that its entirely possible to make a plastic/aluminum radiator that lasts - too bad Jeep didn't get that memo. This one is original to the car, 37 years old and still doesn't leak a drop. However, it isn't passing coolant very well and the car has been running a bit warm...

Reactions: RINC
Its an '85, the last year for the OM617A 5 cyl diesel engine. I consider it "middle aged". No aftercooler. In '86, the W126 chassis underwent its mid-cycle upgrade. It got a driver's side airbag with knee bolsters, and a long wheelbase version was available. The diesels got the new 6 cyl. OM601 (If I remember the number correctly). The new engine had no commonality with the old one, which was introduced as a naturally aspirated 4 cyl in 1968. The new engine wasn't quite as reliable as the old - it was known to crack heads under certain circumstances albeit fairly rarely.

At some point, I don't know if it was the '86 refresh, or sometime later; they added a rear pop-up feature to the sunroof - which I'd like to have on my car. What I like about the sunroof is that its METAL, I don't think anybody's doing them that way anymore. When I close a sunroof, I want it *closed* with some steel over my head, thank you very much!

This car is living proof that its entirely possible to make a plastic/aluminum radiator that lasts - too bad Jeep didn't get that memo. This one is original to the car, 37 years old and still doesn't leak a drop. However, it isn't passing coolant very well and the car has been running a bit warm...
Thanks for the info ! I have a love / hate relationship with MB.
Our son - in -law and daughter bought a 2004 Sprinter and lived in it in Alaska 2 yrs ago.
The 5 banger OM602 was great and reliable and could get 29-30 MPG highway. However the Auto Trans was a Continual and total
POS ! The Van was dead in the Water for months on end waiting for trans. parts. Thankfully they were are to buy a 89 Ford Ranger
4X4 to drive while my SIL and Trans shop guy researched and "rebuilt " the trans. spending around $ 5000.00 to just freshen up that POS , it was taxing for all of us.

$ 25.00 a quart ATF that had to be flown into Anchorage pissed me off on their behalf !

The Alaskan hillbillies could have rebuilt a Turbo 400 for under a grand over the counter and it would have been reliable for another
200,000 miles.
Rant off :cautious:

Reactions: John Cooper
Thanks for the info ! I have a love / hate relationship with MB.
Our son - in -law and daughter bought a 2004 Sprinter and lived in it in Alaska 2 yrs ago.
The 5 banger OM602 was great and reliable and could get 29-30 MPG highway. However the Auto Trans was a Continual and total
POS ! The Van was dead in the Water for months on end waiting for trans. parts. Thankfully they were are to buy a 89 Ford Ranger
4X4 to drive while my SIL and Trans shop guy researched and "rebuilt " the trans. spending around $ 5000.00 to just freshen up that POS , it was taxing for all of us.

$ 25.00 a quart ATF that had to be flown into Anchorage pissed me off on their behalf !

The Alaskan hillbillies could have rebuilt a Turbo 400 for under a grand over the counter and it would have been reliable for another
200,000 miles.
Rant off :cautious:
There's no way in Hell I'd buy a Mercedes any newer than the one I have - in fact, its a tad newer than I'd like as it has too much power crap on it. My dream would be a W108 chassis (S-class '68-76 if I remember right - the last of the "high grille" cars) with my OM617A engine in it - its been done a few times. Transmission is essentially a TH400 clone, is very reliable for an auto, and can be replaced for about $2,500 - the car's on its 2nd transmission. Uses standard Dextron ATF.

Lexus ruined Mercedes, although they were starting down the path of being marketing driven a bit before that car's 1989 introduction. All Mercedes needed to do was be Mercedes - engineering driven as they had been for over 100 years. Not any longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoJeep
Took the Benz for a test run today post new radiator install. Good news and bad news. The good news is that its obvious the new radiator has a lot more cooling capacity than the old one - I can tell by how the temp gauge reacts. The bad news is that it still runs hotter than I'd like. I don't remember it having this problem before I replaced the T-stat earlier this year. The new one is a Stant - but is also "hecho en China". Its acting like its opening at the correct temp - but not opening very far.

Reactions: mrjp