What did you do to your other vehicle today?

I'm doing some front end work on my MJ (2" lift) and I snapped a bolt for of all stupid things one of the sway bar bushing brackets. I'm sure the bushings are the originals after 35 years. I sometimes break things on purpose just to speed things up when I replace them. :rolleyes: Not things like this though. It was a clean break and it's staring right at me so it won't be hard to drill out and tap.

22-11-18 2.JPG

• Love
Reactions: RINC
Did a little service work on the Ural over the weekend. Replaced the sidecar distance spacer, drive hub, and rusted out fender. What should have been a two hour job took almost two days. The drive hub was a pecker to change. On the plus side, I did get a new bearing separator kit.

I think I waited a bit too long to do the $3 spacer.
1y3BIwtl.jpg

Old fender off and the new drive hub in place. That worn tire is now on the spare tire rack.
KRGXpUHl.jpg

New fender. I undercoated this one.
G1jiWKtl.jpg

After letting the undercoat set up, I promptly went out and found some mud puddles to run through. If the weather is less shitty tomorrow, I'll dig through my brown and green airbrush colors and do some camo work on that new fender. No masking and neatness doesn't count.

Did a little service work on the Ural over the weekend. Replaced the sidecar distance spacer, drive hub, and rusted out fender. What should have been a two hour job took almost two days. The drive hub was a pecker to change. On the plus side, I did get a new bearing separator kit.

I think I waited a bit too long to do the $3 spacer.
View attachment 402399

Old fender off and the new drive hub in place. That worn tire is now on the spare tire rack.
View attachment 402400

New fender. I undercoated this one.
View attachment 402401

After letting the undercoat set up, I promptly went out and found some mud puddles to run through. If the weather is less shitty tomorrow, I'll dig through my brown and green airbrush colors and do some camo work on that new fender. No masking and neatness doesn't count.

How old is your Ural?

My 84 year old neighbor brought his '08 Rubicon up to the shop and we replaced rear wheel bearings, seals, parking brake shoes, and diff lube. It's getting harder and harder for him to do things himself, and he has no family to help. I learned that the JK Dana 44 uses the same SET 10 bearing/retainer, but the seal is different. Weird...

My 84 year old neighbor brought his '08 Rubicon up to the shop and we replaced rear wheel bearings, seals, parking brake shoes, and diff lube. It's getting harder and harder for him to do things himself, and he has no family to help. I learned that the JK Dana 44 uses the same SET 10 bearing/retainer, but the seal is different. Weird...

Good on ya for helping that gentleman out! 😸

He’s a good friend and great neighbor, and a life-long Jeeper. He had a CJ-6 rock crawler that he built, but he had to sell it last year (I wanted to buy it, but the LJ project has overwhelmed my budget) because he can’t really rock crawl anymore. He bought the JK and still runs that all summer long in southern Colorado on the National Forest roads. About a month ago, he mentioned the parking brake didn’t work, and I discovered the blown axle seals when I took a look for him, so once he got the parts and our schedules lined-up, we got ‘er done!

Edited to add: He really wanted a TJ Rubicon, but he found early JKs to be cheaper!

Did the camo paint on the sidecar fender yesterday. It has been a few years since I dug out the airbrushes, so some new paints were needed.

Started out with a very light green on the OD. Lighting in my garage makes it look white.
W16yGHml.jpg

Finished up with dark brown and dark OD. Again, the lighting in the garage doesn't help.
MLPtUhnl.jpg

I let it sit overnight and will hit it with some dull coat some time today. It's pissing down rain, so It's not going anywhere.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
331K. Has never had any front end work done before, so its obviously time. This will be the 3rd A/C compressor.

Drove a 1987 300D for 21 years (bought it used when it was 10 years old). Still running when I sold it but needed paint and AC compressor. Good car overall except for the AC compressors failing often. Replaced it with a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI which runs on chump change.

Drove a 1987 300D for 21 years (bought it used when it was 10 years old). Still running when I sold it but needed paint and AC compressor. Good car overall except for the AC compressors failing often. Replaced it with a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI which runs on chump change.
The A/C compressor is actually a GM. But 3rd one on a 38 year old car ain't bad. But I have not had good luck with VWs. My dad had a green '77 Rabbit, which had all sorts of electrical gremlins. I bought a '96 Passat TDI - also green. Had all sorts of electrical gremlins and undersized belt tensioner bearings. Engine was fantastic, the rest of the car not so much - never again. Miss it though - it was a crotch rocket and got 52 MPG. I still laugh at the stupid gasoline-eletric hybrids...

The A/C compressor is actually a GM. But 3rd one on a 38 year old car ain't bad. But I have not had good luck with VWs. My dad had a green '77 Rabbit, which had all sorts of electrical gremlins. I bought a '96 Passat TDI - also green. Had all sorts of electrical gremlins and undersized belt tensioner bearings. Engine was fantastic, the rest of the car not so much - never again. Miss it though - it was a crotch rocket and got 52 MPG. I still laugh at the stupid gasoline-eletric hybrids...

So far my TDI has been 100% trouble free. Bought it after the scandal with 26,000 miles on it and now at 53,000. love everything about it but long trips can be a bit uncomfortable compared to my Superduty but it gets triple the mileage and can park on a postage stamp, plus I don't ever worry about leaving it in a parking lot overnight or at a shopping center, nobody cares about a little station wagon. Superduty or Jeep is another matter.

Reactions: Zorba
So far my TDI has been 100% trouble free. Bought it after the scandal with 26,000 miles on it and now at 53,000. love everything about it but long trips can be a bit uncomfortable compared to my Superduty but it gets triple the mileage and can park on a postage stamp, plus I don't ever worry about leaving it in a parking lot overnight or at a shopping center, nobody cares about a little station wagon. Superduty or Jeep is another matter.

Keep an eye on the belt tensioners - they were notorious for sudden failures on and about my '96 - dunno about now.

Moved the remote plug-in for my GMRS handheld mic on the Gladiator from the side of my console to the middle of it.
Less cord stretch when I’m holding the mic, and not in the way of the passengers legs

My Yamaha g16 gas golf car had never been maintained by the previous owner. I got it when I bought the house. How do I know it wasn't maintained?

When I changed the air filter it crumbled in my hands.. I needed to use a shop vac to get the foam filter under the air filter.

The oil came out like maple syrup, the differential leaked rather than fix it he just added gear oil, there was empty bottles in the garage.

The clutch wasn't working right, the belts were on their last legs. The gas tank had parts from the old gas gauge inside. The pick up tube had to be changed. The carburetor wasn't working right.

Everything has been changed, the golf car is running like new. The last thing I need is new LED lights. I have turn signals I looking for a plug and play type on Amazon.

I can leave my house go over to the villages and drive over 100 miles. There is tons of restaurants, I can get to using my golf car.

Sold my wife's Prius to Carvana. That worked out pretty well. It was arranged online. They sent someone to inspect the vehicle and write us a check.

Funny how everyone hated the Prius except my wife. When I was leaving the take the kids to school, I told them they are allowed to flip off the Prius on their way out. My 9yo was very enthusiastic when flipping it off. I was a proud father at that moment.

I told her we're leaving money on the table going through Carvana. Offered to list it online and deal with the fucking tire kickers. She just wanted to make it easy and dump it.

Side Note: I had a co-worker buy a car from Carvana. They have that giant vending machine tower looking thing so you can see it from the freeway. They called him to say the car he purchased GOT STUCK in the vending machine with some pretty major body damage. They gave him the option of waiting for the repairs, or picking another car. He picked another car. I thought that was hilarious.

I drove my wife’s minivan across the state to pick up my daughter from College. Tortured daughter with my music on the way home, as is tradition. Wife and daughter are going to England on Saturday.