What did you do to your TJ today?

My kid got his new clutch in, tranny back up first try, RMS replaced while he was under there, Fomoto drain plug (which was open when he put the oil in (note to self) and a Savvy TC cable shifter in today, punched out his third cat, blasted and painted his oil pan...I watched, and drank beer. But I must say he is doing it right, Mopar parts, even ordered a metal TOB not trusting the plastic one that came w/ the LUK clutch kit. I'm proud of him for doing it right the first time.
Still waiting on my TPS to show up....so I can park mine for winter?
IMG_1221.jpg

Yeah, this is pretty much what his room looks like :LOL:

Last edited:
I honestly don't know, but its been around. The motor end caps and the gear box castings have gotten water under the powder coat, so I've been scraping/wire wheeling all that off and re-painting. Its been cared for, but its also been a long time since somebody was into it as the grease in the gearbox is all dried up, although it still turns. Motor brushes are in fine shape, etc - dunno if they've been changed in the past or not. The rubber seal around the clutch lever is completely dried out - as hard as a rock. I guess I should pull the wire rope off and re-paint the drum while I'm at it. The rubber cap that goes over the control connector is missing, I just ordered a new one today at - of all places - AutoZone! They were by far the cheapest I could find on it.

The PO bought it for the winch mount/brush guard it was on, but the winch itself was too small for his HUUUGE Excursion. So he wound a newer wire rope onto it, put new chrome cross braces on it, as well as a new decal that shows the clutch lever operation. Never mind, that I'm going to have to remove said decal to get rid of the corrosion that's under the powder coat, so I'll be putting yet another new decal on it. He tried, but I'm having to undo/redo everything he did because he didn't get into the gearbox or anything. He did buy a brand new corded remote for it though - that alone was 1/3rd the price of what I paid for the entire winch! He also threw in both a roller fairlead as well as a hawse for when I eventually switch it over to synthetic line.

I'm not in any hurry to get it on, so while I'm working on it, I'm also perusing the "usual places" looking for a used winch mount - preferably a BullDog, but will consider others if the price is right.

I have a raised Smittybilt mount that works fine but I wish I had seen the raised Tomken plate before I got the Smittybilt one. I would have gotten it. I like the little winch guard built into it.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12113_04.htm

Reactions: Zorba
My kid got his new clutch in, tranny back up first try, RMS replaced while he was under there, Fomoto drain plug (which was open when he put the oil in (note to self) and a Savvy TC cable shifter in today, punched out his third cat, blasted and painted his oil pan...I watched, and drank beer. But I must say he is doing it right, Mopar parts, even ordered a metal TOB not trusting the plastic one that came w/ the LUK clutch kit. I'm proud of him for doing it right the first time.
Still waiting on my TPS to show up....so I can park mine for winter?
View attachment 197734
Yeah, this is pretty much what his room looks like :LOL:
I’ve had that same tool kit for years. I think @Apparition has one too. Best $80 I ever spent!

Reactions: Apparition
pulled the ARB from LP Dana 30 so I can take it to have it installed in the new housing. I was on the fence as to doing a gear swap from 4.56 to 4.88, well good thing I decided to do it. I found one of the bearing races in bad shape. It is a Timken at that. The surface just broke down. I only have about 10k miles on it. I say possible disaster averted.
.20201021_173926.jpg20201021_173928.jpg
.20201021_173919.jpg20201021_173922.jpg
20201021_173945.jpg

20201021_173931.jpg

Last edited:
Added a rubber spacer to the passenger door surround, between the tub and the foot of it. No more clackity clack noises with the top off, or side windows off. Still need to fix a floppy driver's door outer latch

Started my cooling system flush this morning (full 6 hours of driving). I try to flush the entire system every 2 years or so. My original radiator still looks like new inside, but the overflow jug has crap stains in the bottom that wouldn't come out with Purple Power. I guess it's time to spend $30 for a new one.

Reactions: j8ksdad
I bought it today!
FINALLY my first jeep. After years of drooling over my friends Jeeps and life getting in the way this one basically fell right in front of me! I have been on the lookout for a good deal and one in good shape for a while, let one go due to a decent amount of rust out in Cali a few years ago but then came across this 2004 Sport Se with just over 104k miles and honestly didn't think it would work out but I just picked up the keys and its officially all mine!! (Drove it home in the rain in true jeep fashion)
View attachment 197168
I would love to see a close up picture of ypur wheels. Do you know what was done to them?

pulled the ARB from LP Dana 30 so I can take it to have it installed in the new housing. I was on the fence as to doing a gear swap from 4.56 to 4.88, well good thing I decided to do it. I found one of the bearing races in bad shape. It is a Timken at that. The surface just broke down. I only have about 10k miles on it. I say possible disaster averted.
.View attachment 197744View attachment 197745
.View attachment 197742View attachment 197743
View attachment 197747

View attachment 197746

I have seen similar issues on XJ Dana 30's when there was water present in the gear lube and it was run for awhile.
What did the drained gear lube look like ?

Reactions: Akitadog
Several days ago the SRS Airbag light illuminated on the instrument cluster.

IMG_8513.jpg

Tested the (3) fuses 5, 9 & 10 for the Air Bag Control Module and all were good, checked the steering column ribbon cable and the other functions controlled by the ribbon cable (Cruise Control) worked. I checked the key operated Passenger AIr Bag ON/OFF bypass switch and found the indicator bulb was OFF when it is usually ON. Tested the circuit board and found there was 12V to the bulb terminals, but no continuity for the bulb element.
Ordered a bag of 7219 (12V .07 W) wheat bulbs from Amazon which will arrive tomorrow.
Apparently the vehicle PCM is smart enough to determine there is a problem in the SRS Air Bag circuit which includes a burned out indicator bulb.

IMG_8530.jpg

UPDATE: Soldered in new bulb onto the circuit board and the SRS Air Bag light on the instrument cluster is extinguished and the bulb in the Passenger side bypass is illuminated.

IMG_8533.jpg

62526363977__EB34B692-CB5C-4595-AC48-05AECB692323.jpg

Last edited: