What did you do to your TJ today?

I was one of "those guys" that drove around with a 31" spare on the back riding on 33". (Purchased it that way) The spare hits the bumper when closing the gate and was flexing the gate. Need to replace the fairly new Barricade bumper, buy the right size spare, and mount spare to bumper, not gate. Don't have that much to spend right now so off with the spare. Kind of like the look but will have a spare on there soon.

View attachment 205135
It's hard to make a larger spare fit on the stock carrier with the backspacing on stock wheels. My 35" spare fits perfect with my aftermarket wheels. I had to have a BL to clear.

Rubi decal rear 11 16 (2).jpg

Badly needed oil change. Interesting how cars seem to run smoother after an oil change - even when the oil being removed was in good condition. The Jeep's oil, however, was not.

We were also getting the steering squeak from the grommet through the firewall. Used the toothpick method to get a healthy amount of white lithium grease in there. Seems to be gone, time will tell.

Also DIY'ed a replacement center brake light. Used a section of 1.5" wide, 1/8" thick angle aluminum and a cheap LED light bar I found on Amazon. I bought two, so I positioned the first one so I could install a second if I wanted to. I'll paint the aluminum black eventually. Blue zip-ties, didn't have black. I'll swap them out at some point.

PXL_20201122_230327463 - 640.jpg

PXL_20201122_230350713 - 640.jpg

Replaced the pcv / breather thing and the grommets. It was a bear getting them out, dry rotted after 17 years I guess. So hopefully that ends the oil seeping over the valve cover. In bad news, I broke the hose that goes from the breather in the back. I’m looking to find some random inch or two of hose to fix it but I may be out $40 for a new one.

23f.JPG

The winch is back together sans its control box, which I'm going to tear into a bit before remounting it.

In other news, a couple of weeks ago I installed a heater core bypass hose - yesterday was the first time I drove it, and checking the coolant level today shows no loss whatsoever. I want to drive it a bit more before I declare victory (I'm not a Democrat), but I'm cautiously optimistic that the heater core is indeed the cause of my slow coolant loss.

View attachment 205166
The winch is back together sans its control box, which I'm going to tear into a bit before remounting it.

In other news, a couple of weeks ago I installed a heater core bypass hose - yesterday was the first time I drove it, and checking the coolant level today shows no loss whatsoever. I want to drive it a bit more before I declare victory (I'm not a Democrat), but I'm cautiously optimistic that the heater core is indeed the cause of my slow coolant loss.

I've been meaning to ask you, which bypass hose did you get? Did it fir the two different sized heater hoses well?

I might get one to throw in my tool box as a quick fix on the road if the core starts leaking.

Reactions: John Cooper
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Badly needed oil change. Interesting how cars seem to run smoother after an oil change - even when the oil being removed was in good condition. The Jeep's oil, however, was not.

We were also getting the steering squeak from the grommet through the firewall. Used the toothpick method to get a healthy amount of white lithium grease in there. Seems to be gone, time will tell.

Also DIY'ed a replacement center brake light. Used a section of 1.5" wide, 1/8" thick angle aluminum and a cheap LED light bar I found on Amazon. I bought two, so I positioned the first one so I could install a second if I wanted to. I'll paint the aluminum black eventually. Blue zip-ties, didn't have black. I'll swap them out at some point.

View attachment 205162
View attachment 205163
Love the tire cover! :D

Drilled the four 1/2" frame drain holes and swapped the 39 tooth speedo gear for the 33's today
Ok, went from a 34 tooth speedo gear to a 39 tooth gear and my speedometer went from 5 mph +/- slow compared to the GPS to 7 mph +/- slow per the GPS ? What gives with this

I was one of "those guys" that drove around with a 31" spare on the back riding on 33".

I am currently one of those guys. :( But, the spare holds air, so....🤪

Today, got the wiper working on the hardtop. Washer too. Wiring tied up. Still need to get the dash back together. Ran out of daylight.

Jeep WK decided to throw a new drivetrain clunk on my way home this morning. Spent the day on the WK pulling the rear diff cover and checking rear DS (in good shape on U-Joints). No luck finding problem. Suspecting the front DS and/or front diff mounts. (praying not the TC gone bad (pretty good play when moving the DS))

Why TJ related: postponed me painting all my winter upgrades that I put up on a table last night to prime, paint, clear today. Well, plan for the week is to get them painted and then roll the WK into the garage to get it running smooth again. Without a running WK, the TJ upgrades (Savvy susp lift & BL, SYE, Antirock, etc) don't more forward this winter...

Giving up the home garage to be a paint booth put me in the driveway for the WK work. Made me really appreciate the garage! (wind blowing draining fluids, long walk for each new tool, creeper rolling in the grass, etc). It's the small things... (and I'm still waiting on the big things where I get to put the riding lower into a new shed to get a true 2-car garage back....) ;)