What did you do to your TJ today?

I got a bunch of little brackets and parts repainted with por15 and Top coated with por15 topcoat and a spray of rustoleoum to make matching color in the future easy. Then I got the seat bracket to me driver seat all touched up after adding elec pads to it. This morning I rewired the dash to the new harness to support my factory hardtop. So keep an eye in the for sale section as a 05 tj complete wiring harness w/sub will soon be avaliable. Now I'm onto getting the elec seat pads into the passenger seat. I did mange to get the ebay rocker switches for the seats to fit into my stock rocker spots. but it took some fancy razorbladin. Thankfully I still have all my fingers. When LEDS show up I'll put the dash back in. Shes getting there. Piece by piece.
IMG_1647.JPGIMG_1648.JPGIMG_1644.JPGIMG_1650.JPGIMG_1643.JPGIMG_1645.JPG

Installed heated seat for the driver & a new radiator cap. (The old cap wouldn't hold when I pressure tested it, so I replaced it with a Mopar cap. PO had substituted something else.) Maybe that will help my coolant loss issue.

View attachment 205628View attachment 205629
Nicely done! I see in your second picture that you are missing the little cap that goes on the top of the differential breather line tip. That cap keeps water from above (rain, splashes, and "engine wash day" water) from just running into the breather hose. Mine was also missing and I just used a vinyl vacuum line cap that I trimmed down to just cover the larger part at the top. Pull the tip off the line and make sure you can blow air through it with you replacement cap in place, then slap it back on.
There are other breather lines for the tranny, locker air pumps (Rubicons), and rear diff that also use these same tips and the cap on my locker pumps breather was also missing.

End of last winter I thought I was noticing a drop in temperature from the heater. This fall it was a noticeable drop. Today I had 150° going in at the inflow, 100° at the outflow. 95° output at the console vents on high speed fan, 105° on low speed.
Back-flushed the core and this nastiness came out:
20A2F899-EBB5-4089-89E4-CAD87B65533B.jpeg

Now I’ve got 150° inflow, 140° outflow; 148° low speed fan and 132° high speed at the console vents.
BFA90A80-1E40-459C-B09B-844C80B5CDB0.jpeg
51E83F75-775D-4E6B-BAF5-B4A10947FCED.jpeg
I flushed the radiator when I replaced the water pump a couple years ago, but did not back-flush the core separately, which is where I’m guessing all that gunk came from.

Also replaced the battery hold down that the PO had removed and replaced with a bungee with an oem hold down.

Replaced the plugs in the Green Dawg. Wasn't sure when or if PO changed them.
Looks like they did and replaced them with Bosh. I have never seen plugs with tips like these. I didn't think they look bad at all. I installed the NGKs, as they are the cross from the discontinued RC12ECC plugs. It seems to run nice and smooth.
Been getting 16.1 mpg so will see if it improves.

20201205_111208.jpg

Replaced the plugs in the Green Dawg. Wasn't sure when or if PO changed them.
Looks like they did and replaced them with Bosh. I have never seen plugs with tips like these. I didn't think they look bad at all. I installed the NGKs, as they are the cross from the discontinued RC12ECC plugs. It seems to run nice and smooth.
Been getting 16.1 mpg so will see if it improves.

View attachment 208075
Those are Iridium plugs. I seem to recall that they are "not suggested" for the TJ's as they do not seem to perform well with the ignition. Not badly...just not well. On the good side, they will probably outlive you if you want to continue using them.
The discoloration on the insulators of the top two plugs in your pics has me a bit concerned...if you know which cylinders they came from, check the new plugs again in a couple hundred miles to see how they look.

Those are Iridium plugs. I seem to recall that they are "not suggested" for the TJ's as they do not seem to perform well with the ignition. Not badly...just not well. On the good side, they will probably outlive you if you want to continue using them.
The discoloration on the insulators of the top two plugs in your pics has me a bit concerned...if you know which cylinders they came from, check the new plugs again in a couple hundred miles to see how they look.
They were in order so 5 & 6. They were also gapped incorrectly but I have seen and expect in used plugs.
I'll pull them in a few 000 miles and but no oil or burnt ends.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Solved a horrible rattle problem by lowering the fan shroud by about a quarter inch, and completed my first stage coolant system flush. Also worked till 330am, but we got her lifted 2.5". Could probably do it in half the time if I ever have occasion to do it again.

Just finished washing it and giving it a wax, had 2 hours before sun went down just too hot to do it any other time.Thats it for summer clean.
Black paint needs correction big time on the hood but I contacted a Wrap company here in Perth and they will put a black hood decal on the raised section and wrap the outer fenders flares and those other bullet shaped plastic bits in metallic grey/silver same as the dash bezel for $400 au

Reactions: mushdogs
Up and down stream O2 sensors replaced tonight with NTK from the O2 thread on here. Luckily both came out with minimal effort. Just on 60,000 miles, didn't have any codes but running rich and about 8mpg. Running way smoother now so will be interesting to see if there's an improvement in mpg.
Did you buy specific Export NTKs? Just wondering cos I bought all 4 from RockAuto US and have now been told they are not the same as Export 02,s

Cheers

Installed my Sound Ordinance speaker. :D What a difference that made. So much better.

View attachment 207887

I'm glad to hear that the Sound Ordinance speaker works good for you. I'll also mention that just yesterday I found out that anyone that has used more than one can of Aqua Net has immunity from the covids. The fact that it's in a purple can is a nice touch but not really a surprise.

Bumper showed up early, so got that installed yesterday.
PXL_20201205_233808213.jpg

Did more troubleshooting of the inconsistent steering. No indication of a problem with the steering shaft or joints. I'm thinking about putting my Virb in the engine bay to record steering component movement while driving.

I moved the KC Highlights 20” LED light bar from my F-350 to my Jeep because I sold the big truck.
Yeah. I know that I need to put a winch there, but I’m trying to phase this stuff in gradually & make my wife think it’s all her idea. ☺️

Hah, I did just that. We (yes, we!!) decided to try to take the Jeep on some trails for the first time last weekend. Got there and found it completely snow covered (no surprise). Decided against solo trails on snow without a winch - and my lovely wife says...

"You should probably get a winch so we can go out next time."

It arrives next week. :)