What did you do to your TJ today?

Took the top off and ordered paint for the half doors from automotivetouchup.com.

IMG_6389.jpeg

Is there a good resource for explaining the difference in the various types of summer tops? Bikini vs Bimimi vs?
The one that looks most what I want is the alien sunshade. Is there a USA made version?
Bikini tops mount to the windshield with a header bar, like a soft top does. Only comes back to the roll bar where the speakers are. Bestop does have a drill version that attaches to the inside above the visor for older TJ's.

Safari Tops are like the Bikini's except they go all the way back to the back of the roll bars. There isn't a drill version of this one that I know of.

Alien sunshade (and others) attach to the roll bars and windshield footman loop with small bungie cords. Can be had in different lengths and can be kept on under the soft top.

I'm not sure where a Bimini top falls into the mix. I'd guess a bikini top?

This is my Bestop Safari top on my Unlimited.

IMG_0213.JPG

Last edited:
Is there a good resource for explaining the difference in the various types of summer tops? Bikini vs Bimimi vs?
The one that looks most what I want is the alien sunshade. Is there a USA made version?
I think it’s spiderweb or something like that if I’m guessing your talking about that burlap sunshade that is kinda bungeed to your roll bars.. @AndyG has one, maybe he can help.

Reactions: Midtenn
I’ve been on the lookout for 1/2 doors and nothing ever in my color. I suppose I’ll do what everyone else does it but what you can and paint to match.
If you will talk to @Hog he can find them like nobody's business... You have to kind of be careful you can end up with some money in a good paint job so if you're going that route get in them as cheap as you can

Reactions: John Cooper
How do you get those corners to stay in there? Mine always pop out.
I don’t know. They were a little hassle to initially get installed, but never came out until I took it off. The second time I put it on my wife helped me by holding one of the corners down while I did the rest.

It helps to wrap the strap around the sound bar roll bar and have a little tension on it while putting the front of the top in the header channel.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Bimini is just a safari top that covers the front and rear passengers. Bikini covers the front.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I think “Safari” is just the name used for the full soft top with the windows zipped out.
It’s a seperate top than the soft top with the windows out. With the Trektop NX, that is true, the windows zip out and the roof part of the top stays on like the stand alone Safari top.

After looking at Bestops website, they technically call it a “Header Bikini Top, Safari-Style”.

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2006/wrangler/extended-safari-bikini/sub-model/unlimited/

I always understood "bimini" to be the tops that just strap to the roll cage, and "bikini" tops have straps that go down to the back up the tub, like a bikini top. You really don't see "bikini tops" anymore, they're from the age of sport cages and CJ/YJ's.

Took the top off and ordered paint for the half doors from automotivetouchup.com.

View attachment 227276
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I have a few projects on mine that will require the same paint. The match was OK on the Deep Beryl Green LJ I had before, but I’m hoping for better with the silver.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I always understood "bimini" to be the tops that just strap to the roll cage, and "bikini" tops have straps that go down to the back up the tub, like a bikini top. You really don't see "bikini tops" anymore, they're from the age of sport cages and CJ/YJ's.
And.. isn’t what goes on a boat a bimini top?