What did you do to your TJ today?

I am way in over my head and have a few questions if thats ok.

I have a 2000 manual 4.0 Sahara and want to change the transfer case fluid. I have been looking online for hours and can't work out which case I have. Does anybody know?

Also, and I know this is going to sound very dense, but is transfer case fluid and transmission fluid the same thing?
You will have an NP231 transfer case. It will take any ATF 4+
Your manual transmission does not take the same fluid, I would recomend Redline MTL

I am way in over my head and have a few questions if thats ok.

I have a 2000 manual 4.0 Sahara and want to change the transfer case fluid. I have been looking online for hours and can't work out which case I have. Does anybody know?

Also, and I know this is going to sound very dense, but is transfer case fluid and transmission fluid the same thing?
Check out this page, I used it for reference when I did my transfer case and transmission fluid drain and fill:

http://www.billswebspace.com/TJTrans.htm
Note: I did it the "lazy way"

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Exactly! I was really suspicious of how they'd work given their design. Suspicions were confirmed.
I took them back, taped up just like in the picture along with the receipt and explained how they didn't work for my application; received a refund. Which was nice, because they were about $15 for the pair.
I added LED bulbs to the backup lights, but also added this cheap addition:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ackup-light-on-the-stock-light-housing.42635/

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
Cleaned up Jessie all nice a purdy this weekend. Engine bay clean up, undercarriage clean up, and put on the steel half doors. Big thanks to @AndyG for introducing me to his paint guy. The driver door looks like has always been Stone White.

Edit: I also installed late model mirrors on the half doors. Brand: Kool Vue.

A28E0E69-B8B6-4FB7-A683-491E21CE3092.jpeg

Last edited:
it was finally warm enough to.... replace my blinker because it was out, which caused the blinker indicator to stay on and my left rear blinker to blink continuously when I had my headlights on the other night on my entire drive home from picking up new fender flares for it.

but, I now have a fresh bulb and I have new fender flares, which will probably be going on in the next day or two.

it was finally warm enough to.... replace my blinker because it was out, which caused the blinker indicator to stay on and my left rear blinker to blink continuously when I had my headlights on the other night on my entire drive home from picking up new fender flares for it.

but, I now have a fresh bulb and I have new fender flares, which will probably be going on in the next day or two.
Change out the fluid while you were in there?

No, one of the painters at work did it for me. I wanted to but I have no way of maintaining the proper temp for long enough. That and I’ve never painted with anything but a rattlecan.
Nice job. I need mine done, but I got quoted $650 for the windshield frame, cowl and grille. I'm going to do a vinyl wrap myself because I was quoted around the same price for that too. The $25 for the same 3M #2080 vinyl they use is more in my price range.
p.s. I did it on the wife's old car so I wouldn't have to pay for a paint job. She wanted the carbon fiber look. $15 well spent.:)

Hyundai hood (3).jpg
Hyundai hood new2 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I picked up my Bestop Trektop from the local 4 Wheel Parts store and tried to fit in w the big boy Jeeps that were there getting parts installed. :). And yes, the Bestop box will (just barely) fit into an LJ.

You weren't tempted to have them fit a grumper on your LJ?

• Haha
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Changed the oil in the transmission, transfer case, and both axles, plus a whole new exhaust & O2 sensors from the manifold back. Also checked the alignment and straightened out the crooked steering wheel.
I know this is an older thread but curious how you fixed the crooked steering wheel?