What did you do to your TJ today?

Got my new wheel and tire package ready to go. Buyer for the JK Recon wheels, KO2s, adapter and spare relocation bracket has access to a lift, so we’re pulling everything and switching over Sunday morning. ‘06 Moabs and 285/75R16 MT/Rs.

View attachment 233735

View attachment 233736

I liked the 17s and KO2s. But the Recon wheels weren’t my first choice and since I don’t drive it much, I wanted a more aggressive tire. I got a great deal on the wheels and Discount Tire Direct has a decent deal on the MT/Rs, and more importantly, were the only ones with them in stock. Especially since the KM3s are unobtanium as well.
Is it hard to turn with the extra width? :sneaky::cool:

Made some wall art for the office of build planning.

plasti-dip’d the chrome grill cover to put on my wall.

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 11.34.50 AM.png

Last edited:
Picked up my TJ from the shop with new gears (4.56), front and rear eaton lockers and 33x10.5 KO2s. Also, I installed an SYE and Tom Woods drive shaft a couple of weeks ago. Amazing how much nicer it drives with this setup. No vibration and I can acutually use 5th and 6th gear. Now just need to break in the gears so I can take it out wheelin'.

Tires Front.jpg
Tires Side.jpg

Picked up my TJ from the shop with new gears (4.56), front and rear eaton lockers and 33x10.5 KO2s. Also, I installed an SYE and Tom Woods drive shaft a couple of weeks ago. Amazing how much nicer it drives with this setup. No vibration and I can acutually use 5th and 6th gear. Now just need to break in the gears so I can take it out wheelin'.

View attachment 233849View attachment 233850
What a difference having the right gears make, it puts the pep back in the little 4.0

Reactions: Wittakoski
Changed transmission fluid on my 6sp, simple process. Magnetic plug is working to catch metal. My goal is to replace all fluids, transfer case next.

Refill with redline MTL. Not sure it helped clunky 1-2 gear shift, maybe a little, still need to pause and match revs for best results.

View attachment 224500

View attachment 224501
Update-After a 100 miles or so my 1-2 shift is greatly improved, no grinding or extra tugging required. I can say this fluid improved the shift quality. All the other gears are smooth

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Installed Body Armor step/sliders. Happy with the quality, heavy gage steel, welds are all good. The install was simple but I did have to relieve one mis aligned hole to get attached. The C-channel fits snuggly into the frame mount at the three side body mounts, sturdy attachments. Big Pros for me:
  • No tub drilling required
  • I can keep the factory Rubicon sliders in tack
  • Reasonable price
I’m not into rock crawling, so these should be sufficient for my needs, like the added protection and the steps help for entry/ exit.

9107A184-B84C-4035-800A-90867D81A3BE.jpeg

2D1A49F7-A6A6-4679-9BA7-CC8AAECD3D51.jpeg

07D56324-35A7-478E-B891-3561C0EE94CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got around to draining and then replacing my dif fluid (only rear, still need to do front). Went with a lubelocker gasket instead of rtv, hoping it holds up well. I had one bolt that was stuck and the head was partially stripped, I used a ton of penetrating oil/heat/etc but nothing. Luckily I was able to jack up the jeep by my trailer hitch which gave me enough room to get my impact socket back there (which is a 6 point instead of a 12) which was able to get it off without slipping.
File_000 (10).jpegFile_000 (11).jpeg

Also my rancho 5000x's showed up when I was working on it, very excited about these. Just have to order my wheels and tires before I do my lift, would look a little funky with my 31's
Shocks boxes.jpeg

Installed Body Armor step/sliders. Happy with the quality, heavy gage steel, welds are all good. The install was simple but I did have to relieve one mis aligned hole to get attached. The C-channel fits snuggly into the frame mount at the three side body mounts, sturdy attachments. Big Pros for me:
  • No tub drilling required
  • I can keep the factory Rubicon sliders in tack
  • Reasonable price
I’m not into rock crawling, so these should be sufficient for my needs, like the added protection and the steps help for entry/ exit.

View attachment 233930

what do you mean by no tub drilling? I can’t tell by the pictures but mine has holes in it from a step that sorta looks like yours. I’d like to get rid of cover it somehow.

what do you mean by no tub drilling? I can’t tell by the pictures but mine has holes in it from a step that sorta looks like yours. I’d like to get rid of cover it somehow.
The sliders attach to the frame at the body mounts, so no drilling of frame or tub is required. They have a c channel that fit into the frame attachment points, they share the mounts.

Reactions: Midtenn
Its not done yet but I'm doing the rear main seal and trying to figure out why it keeps dripping tranny fluid- might make that someone else's headache I have oil pad down and the mail cap off- just need to get seal back in and bolt it up then deal with the tranny.