What did you do to your TJ today?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
And don't forget to remove the shock boot
I'm thinking of leaving it on for the rears - as it isn't tied down at the bottom edge so it can drain/dry out to my way of thinking. The fronts though pretty much have to be attached from the bottom - they're outta there! Yes? No? Maybe?

tjmaciii

Supporting Member
Finally found one! So far just took off the guards over the taillights and checking her over. Making my list for what I need to do to her and searching the forum for all my questions before I start posting.

5E195ED0-A202-4F6A-BDA2-972EF5BF030A.jpeg

All 4 Wheelin'

TJ Enthusiast
I'm thinking of leaving it on for the rears - as it isn't tied down at the bottom edge so it can drain/dry out to my way of thinking. The fronts though pretty much have to be attached from the bottom - they're outta there! Yes? No? Maybe?
They do more harm than good. I wouldn't leave them on the rear either.

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
The rears definitely won’t hurt. The only difference in them from the OEM shocks is the a crinkled instead of smooth.

I put the fronts on. After a year and a half i had my shocks off and this is how they looked. many Days of driving on the beach in the Outer Banks, lots of sandy fire service roads and light trails. NO mud and deep water holes though. I imagine they would look different if I had been in that.
When the shocks went back on, so did the boots.

E60D31C9-34BF-42E7-9BEA-4CA5F1BD3C2E.jpeg

randy328

Busy doing nothing.
Supporting Member
I mounted a 5 pin chassis plug with waterproof cap on the passenger side of the console so I could easily plug in/remove my Cobra 75 WX ST microphone - out of sight, less likely to get "removed" by someone besides myself. The larger plug cap above it is a USB charge port.

20210502_205428.jpg

hear

TJ Enthusiast
Finally installed a no name Zeak winch. It had good reviews and I’m cheap which hopefully won’t come back to bite me. The install was quick and easy enough. The biggest hurdle was a tight gap between the frame and bumper but I used a die grinder bit to expand the holes just enough to get the bolts through. Everything works fine so far but time will tell.
I'm rocking a Zeak winch as well, so far zero issues. Used it today, in fact, to pull out some bushes that died during that Texas cold snap. Wife was finally impressed with something on the jeep.

Also got my adjustable upper control arms installed today, what a difference that made. I went with Rusty's, which I know is not a popular choice but they had the brackets for the brake lines similar to the factory control arms, and 12 hours in I'm happy with my choice. I may go back and give the pinion angle one-ish more degree...looks like it still might be off a hair.

IMG_1483.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg

Also pictured, before & after. Both are with the new 33" wheels. I went from a used 2.5" RC spring-only lift to a 4" Zone Offroad spring/shock/control arm setup, + SYE.

IMG_1274.jpg
IMG_1355.jpg

hear

TJ Enthusiast
This is a happy picture after putting on both front shocks in 30 minutes. I didn’t take a picture after the 2 hours it took on the rear. Passenger rear was a royal pain.
I had a friend helping me and he wrestled with that side for a good while. And now I want to flip the orientation of the shocks but I'm really not looking forward to that particular wrestling match.

Rosco1216

I had a friend helping me and he wrestled with that side for a good while. And now I want to flip the orientation of the shocks but I'm really not looking forward to that particular wrestling match.
Yeah the shocks I had previously were easier since the top cap wasn’t as wide and the shock body a little slimmer. It’s tight enough without the exhaust running directly through the only “space” you have.

I had originally planned to pull and paint them but i changed my mind real quick. Luckily I can keep the top attached and turn the bottom and just paint them while under the vehicle.

kiwi

Finally installed a no name Zeak winch. It had good reviews and I’m cheap which hopefully won’t come back to bite me. The install was quick and easy enough. The biggest hurdle was a tight gap between the frame and bumper but I used a die grinder bit to expand the holes just enough to get the bolts through. Everything work fine so far but time will tell if this is a mistake. I’ll tension it tomorrow before trying anything with it.

View attachment 249213
What bumper is that?

TJoe

I've been using a RAM mount for my phone for almost a week. Given that you can feel every single pebble on the road in TJs, this mount has held up very well. It doesn't shake too much or get out of place with large bumps. 10/10, would recommend for those looking for a solid phone mount.

20210503_154149.jpg