What did you do to your TJ today?

got to ride in a tow truck today. transmission gave out. this is a 2000 4.0L I6 3 speed auto (32RH), 166k miles.
had 'em tow it to a nearby transmission shop that gets good reviews from the local jeep club.
Oh no, what was the transmission doing?

Oh no, what was the transmission doing?
it started slipping a couple days ago. I checked the transmission fluid level yesterday and it was good. tried to drive it to the shop this afternoon but only made it about half-a-mile before it stopped working (engine running with increasing RPMs without increase in speed). same experience in D, 2 and 1. in full disclosure, it was slipping in Reverse when I tried to back out of the driveway to go to the shop and I knew there was a good chance it wouldn't make it but I wanted to try.

I don't know how this plays into it but while in the driveway checking the ATF, then engine noise was noticeably louder in Neutral than it was in Park or Drive. I'm preparing myself for needing a new or rebuilt transmission.

I've read good things on this forum about the 32RH and assume I should have them replace with the same - if that turns out to be needed.
is there anything else I should consider doing at the same time?

thanks,
Jerry

Replaced the catalytic converter, front pipe and both O2 sensors.
88E8DAA8-B606-49C3-BDAC-F1D47A165628.jpeg

Good weather here today so took the TJ out for a spin with the family. My son is home from school for Easter and it’s the first time he has seen the Jeep. I bought it while he was at school. He also has never driven a manual so we gave him a little lesson in a parking lot. Only a few bucking bronco episodes, he started getting it.

Then my BIL and MIL came over for Easter dinner (we are all fully vaccinated) and my BIL took the Jeep out for a ride too. He enjoyed it. This nicer weather finally allows me to get it out of the garage and enjoy it!

Stayed home and washed it! 4 day Easter extra long weekend is horrific in Western Australia (still summer here) especially as its also school holidays 1/4 term. 4 days off work and cant get to camp anywhere :(
Monday night here and the road death toll is starting to be reported on all news stations, long straight country roads with cars full of people rushing to get home! So sad :( Man Whats the hurry? everyone wants to drive maximum speed and overtake on hills or double white lines because of a few caravans? (Camper Trailers )

Last edited:
I took the light bar, A-pillar lights and brackets off. Looks better and it's quieter (not quiet, just quieter) in in the cabin.

Reactions: Hog
Finally finished welding in the rear driver's side body mount. The PO neglected to replace it and left a mismatched grilled cheese looking set of plates welded in. Seemed solid and have driven it like that for over a year. Now I want to make it better and more long term.

The Amazon welder worked out like a charm. I need to play with it some more but It works well, and on 110!

Not the best looking welds ever, but they will hold and look so much better than what was there before.

Side note new edit: Forgot to mention that the body mount torque box nut(the one inside the body panel) was loose in there and luckily I was able to put two tacks of weld to hold it in place and torque it. :cool: You can almost see it in the picture.

Driver's side rear mount.jpg

Last edited:
Took my mirrors and corner pieces off my doors. I started cleaning and degreasing them, my upper mirrors really don’t look too bad. Taped up the corners and painted them. I’m a lousy painter even with a spray can 😂 Also took her for a spin opened up!

959EEED4-1E1D-42DC-98D7-8611385865F3.jpeg

AF687B8D-FA48-4CB4-94FD-D77AFC676260.jpeg

0E85CEAB-3AA1-4C5C-973A-27F5F01B0132.jpeg

C7C6E587-9547-4D2C-AFAC-56009BC5764A.jpeg