What did you do to your TJ today?

Today I took the day off to take care of some TJ stuff, first up was the annual inspection, she passed with flying colors:

IMG_8428.JPG

Stopped by Pep Boys on my way home to pick up some gear oil, the plan was to remove both covers to clean them up & paint them black, long overdue project (they were red).

Grabbed a giant Payday, best candy bar on the planet:

IMG_8432.JPG

the day devolved into a High Life festival in the garage, lucky I managed to get the project done

IMG_8449.jpg

fun project, many more photos in my build thread.

A day covered in paint, gear oil & beer beats the shit out of a day in the office, that much I know

Finished up the wheel bearing/axle shaft ujoint install. $8 part held me up for four days. Fluids checked and topped off, ready for its first forest trail wheeling trip. Mio and Atlanta. View attachment 245318View attachment 245319
Just did this on The Hulk, he was giving me trouble on right turns at slow speed. Fixed the issue.
I'm curious about your trip, how did you find the trails? I think I'm ready to start putting the Jeep through it's paces, and while eventually I'd like to get to some of the really scenic stuff out West, for now closer to home would be better.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and matkal
Just did this on The Hulk, he was giving me trouble on right turns at slow speed. Fixed the issue.
I'm curious about your trip, how did you find the trails? I think I'm ready to start putting the Jeep through it's paces, and while eventually I'd like to get to some of the really scenic stuff out West, for now closer to home would be better.
Check out “where to ride” on the DNR website. They have maps that you can download and print and they have downloadable tracks to load into your GPS, which is what I did.
https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79148_80314-—,00.html

To my wife’s dismay I found my unicorn half doors today for $350View attachment 244254
They look to be in really great shape from all the pictures. If they aren’t I don’t have to purchase or they will discount. I almost didn’t get them, but I keep walking away from decent doors.
Now to shop for paint 😂 I have a 2006 bright metallic silver, I’m 99% sure the interior is agate, but can anyone validate? Also where to get agate colored interior paint?
SEM Landau Black is the closest match.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
To my wife’s dismay I found my unicorn half doors today for $350View attachment 244254
They look to be in really great shape from all the pictures. If they aren’t I don’t have to purchase or they will discount. I almost didn’t get them, but I keep walking away from decent doors.
Now to shop for paint 😂 I have a 2006 bright metallic silver, I’m 99% sure the interior is agate, but can anyone validate? Also where to get agate colored interior paint?
This is why when I found the right exterior/interior doors I just offered a straight up trade. Money wise, it’s a toss up but I got exactly the right thing.

Nice find. I've never understood the appeal of half doors though. I've had two Jeeps with them. I had tinted uppers on one and glass sliders on the other. I prefer full doors or none at all.

I like 1/2 doors because my Jeep is like a summer toy and I only drive it in beautiful days. I like the arm rest and it’s a good balance between full doors and no doors. I didn’t like driving with no doors. Too many people try and throw things in your Jeep.

• Wow
Reactions: Chief Brohician
This is why when I found the right exterior/interior doors I just offered a straight up trade. Money wise, it’s a toss up but I got exactly the right thing.
I have only ever found one set in silver and they were sky high. Someone posted a thread a while back with a solid paint match for interior. I’ll be in the whole halfdoor deal for about $500. I can live with that!

I have only ever found one set in silver and they were sky high. Someone posted a thread a while back with a solid paint match for interior. I’ll be in the whole halfdoor deal for about $500. I can live with that!
That’s not terrible at all. I would have stayed on the hunt had I had storage for full doors.

Part of me is ready to completely ditch the soft top for a bikini. I drive it now with the all the windows out anyway.

Reactions: Chief Brohician
That’s not terrible at all. I would have stayed on the hunt had I had storage for full doors.

Part of me is ready to completely ditch the soft top for a bikini. I drive it now with the all the windows out anyway.
I had to button mine all back up last weekend to go ride. It was in the 40’s at the start. I would have never spent money on uppers, but I’ll take them. I have a 3 car garage but the way you pull in makes it a very deep 2 car garage, since it’s not side entry. I love it, lots of work space, gym space, and storage!

I like 1/2 doors because my Jeep is like a summer toy and I only drive it in beautiful days. I like the arm rest and it’s a good balance between full doors and no doors. I didn’t like driving with no doors. Too many people try and throw things in your Jeep.
Those are good points. I liked the nice arm rest and it doesn't feel as cramped inside with half door. Now you have me thinking about getting some. :)

Had a big 4 or 5 days. First, my friends helped me get off my butt and get my CJ put back together so (a) I could drive it out of one garage and into another and (b) so I can finally sell that piece of junk. That was Friday. Saturday included getting new tires (BFG M/T 33") mounted on new wheels, and getting started on the lift. Got most of the front installed, but were slowed down by difficulty getting control arms attached....thanks to the forum for help there.

Sunday was a day of rest and cleaning the garage of lift & CJ aftermath.

Then Monday we worked till 2am and got the rest of it completed. More or less. Have a tie rod castle nut that won't go back on, and the track bar flag nut broke, so I'll have to overcome that somehow, and can't test drive until I do. What I do know is that 4" appears to be a ton of lift, no regrets about not going bigger.

Lift was a Zone Offroad 4" suspension, which comes with a t-case drop, but I have an SYE coming. The struggle is that we have a trip to Crossbar in OK next Wednesday, and I don't know that I'll have the SYE & new driveshaft here in time to get that phase completed, so I may have to break down and temporarily do the t-case drop.

hard to believe this was a stock TJ 6 months ago.

Before:
View attachment 245362

After:
View attachment 245364

And lastly, proof that the CJ actually moved after being stationary for 6 years.
View attachment 245363
Wow beautiful Brick work! I am a Bricklayer by trade and seldom do you get to show your true skill like this. :)

Reactions: Blondie70
Never had that happen.

Those are good points. I liked the nice arm rest and it doesn't feel as cramped inside with half door. Now you have me thinking about getting some. :)
Best investment so far. Will never regret getting mine. Is it possible to have the tumblers reset or keyed to match the full doors of will it require new tumblers?

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper