What did you do to your TJ today?

Oh absolutely, I got the half doors for a summer option! Also, because how many vehicles have half doors!?
I have the half doors. This is my second Jeep (YJ/TJ) and both have had the half doors. Maybe a more common option for Arizona Jeep’s at that time or I just lucked out. The difference I have this time is that my upper are the glass sliding windows compared to my old YJ that has the isinglass zipper style. I was alway worried about scratching those and not so much with my current setup.

New tensioner, idler and belt. Nice and easy.

08B2A194-5470-453D-952F-77352915CC5B.jpeg

Ben and I took Lucis Yj and LJ off the pavement today. Mike came with his Xj. Good times for all. This sailor son of mine is really enjoying his leave.

65551148-F0DB-459E-A9BB-7EEC86D4D8FB.jpeg

136A0B08-EEA9-4185-8979-EB625580D7FC.jpeg

0DB01CA4-2330-430E-8B08-3111DFD77864.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4618.mp4
    785.7 KB
  • IMG_4619.mp4
    787.9 KB
Reactions: THEREALJIM
I tried to break the door hinge bolts loose with my Amazon wonder tool, aka manual impact driver. No luck, ratcheting impact wrench from lowest to highest setting didn’t move those bad boys a bit. Guess they I’ll get painted on the doors. Also, simplified and removed her a

before-late summer
10F37687-6C23-4507-8610-17391E99EAF9.jpeg

today
339C93FC-5B59-4424-9626-ACF739F8CC00.jpeg
695D6A7F-566C-474D-BA17-A7C4953261D4.jpeg

I like the cleaner look, bonus pic of my boy practicing for when he is 16
672B47B6-5C4D-4AC1-9B7B-52676A3EFD33.jpeg

Thanx for the clue! I've been meaning to buy a ball joint press anyway - eventually. Maybe I can install it with a C-clamp? I was surprised with the CA arrived and there wasn't anything on one end! Learning...
Go with the Harbor Freight Ball Joint press and buy the Master Kit that is separate but ESSENTIAL for maximum use. Having just pulled out my mounts of Dana 30, I used a combo of the Master kit and some sockets.

C-clamp - no way. Others may say pay more or rent, I've used my HF ball joint press enough times to have well paid for it and I've done ball joints once and Dana 30 mounts twice. It works, it's cheap, and it's in my garage when I need it!

Go with the Harbor Freight Ball Joint press and buy the Master Kit that is separate but ESSENTIAL for maximum use. Having just pulled out my mounts of Dana 30, I used a combo of the Master kit and some sockets.

C-clamp - no way. Others may say pay more or rent, I've used my HF ball joint press enough times to have well paid for it and I've done ball joints once and Dana 30 mounts twice. It works, it's cheap, and it's in my garage when I need it!
I almost bought this when it was on sale last week, but I saw some people saying theirs's bent easily when trying to do their ball joints so I decided against it

Reactions: Blondie70
Tried driving with out both of my driveshafts individually to try and get rid of the vibration I was getting on the highway, neither got rid of it. Then I realized it seemed to be more like a steering shimmy (not as bad as death wobble), since my steering is so loose it was hard to feel it in the steering wheel. I installed my jks front track bar to see if that would help but made not difference. Not sure what else it could be, I did the dry steering test and everything looks good, maybe ball joints but mine didn't look too bad. It is usually only bad around 60-65 then levels out

Replaced the front swaybar links and added "eye liner":
339.jpg

33d.jpg

33f.jpg

The passenger's side swaybar link had been changed out once before, and wasn't any more than "the usual problem" to get changed once I procured an 18mm (!!) combination wrench. Who uses 18mm hardware? Nobody but Jeep I guess!

However, the driver's side link was apparently OEM, and I didn't think I was going to be able to get it off. Long story short: I ended up Sawz-all-ing it short, then MANY attempts with a puller that failed miserably, beating on it with a BFH, heating it with a propane torch, cussing at it roundly, and it was STILL stuck. I was beginning to think that I was going to have to pull the winch back off, remove the swaybar from the Jeep and take it to a shop with a hydraulic press to get the remnant of the old swaybar link pressed out of it. It FINALLY popped free, but soundly kicked my ass!

But even then, the battle wasn't over. When installing the new one - with new nut but re-used OEM bolt - the nut and bolt wouldn't tighten up all the way, it felt like it was starting to gall. So I had to disassemble it again, treat with "Never-Seez", then the re-assy went well enough. On to the lower control arm replacements after I get some 21mm wrenches!

I started the swap on my exhaust manifold/exhaust pipe - discovered more and more about the processes in taking things apart (first jeep i've ever owned), and just how easy the 4.0s are to work on.
All in all, 6 hours to just get that side of the engine bay apart and ready for the new parts to be put in place. Tomorrow will welcome the new manifold, exhaust, and freshly cleaned intake manifold alongside a new windshield wiper switch. Here's to another day of swearing at rusted bolts and previously muddied-but-never-rinsed components. Cheers, everyone!

Replaced the front swaybar links and added "eye liner":
View attachment 246588
View attachment 246586
View attachment 246587

The passenger's side swaybar link had been changed out once before, and wasn't any more than "the usual problem" to get changed once I procured an 18mm (!!) combination wrench. Who uses 18mm hardware? Nobody but Jeep I guess!

However, the driver's side link was apparently OEM, and I didn't think I was going to be able to get it off. Long story short: I ended up Sawz-all-ing it short, then MANY attempts with a puller that failed miserably, beating on it with a BFH, heating it with a propane torch, cussing at it roundly, and it was STILL stuck. I was beginning to think that I was going to have to pull the winch back off, remove the swaybar from the Jeep and take it to a shop with a hydraulic press to get the remnant of the old swaybar link pressed out of it. It FINALLY popped free, but soundly kicked my ass!

But even then, the battle wasn't over. When installing the new one - with new nut but re-used OEM bolt - the nut and bolt wouldn't tighten up all the way, it felt like it was starting to gall. So I had to disassemble it again, treat with "Never-Seez", then the re-assy went well enough. On to the lower control arm replacements after I get some 21mm wrenches!
Not only do we get to buy new parts but we also get to buy tools.😃
I started the swap on my exhaust manifold/exhaust pipe - discovered more and more about the processes in taking things apart (first jeep i've ever owned), and just how easy the 4.0s are to work on.
All in all, 6 hours to just get that side of the engine bay apart and ready for the new parts to be put in place. Tomorrow will welcome the new manifold, exhaust, and freshly cleaned intake manifold alongside a new windshield wiper switch. Here's to another day of swearing at rusted bolts and previously muddied-but-never-rinsed components. Cheers, everyone!
Welcome to the jeep life.