What did you do to your TJ today?

Building it to run here in the rocks with Chris and Starkey, so 35in tyres, 5.13 gears. It's an X model so have the 3.07 R&P, 231 transfer case, 5 speed, 31in tryes. Been out on the trails with some of the fella's on here, I am so high geared I run on the low side of the TC so
I don't run over the guys in front of me.

View attachment 270572

Speaking of doing it all at once, I still need a tucked TC skid.

Got the motor/body mount lifts, TC shifter cable and Savvy suspension. That I will be doing all at once.

The shop is swapping in the Dana 44 pictured here while doing the re-gear.
View attachment 270573

Ooo you've got a lot of good things going right now. I'm a little jealous haha! That will be super nice - but looks like you've got a lot of catching up to do to wheel with those two lol

Reactions: RINC
A few weeks ago the A/C compressor seized up. When it did the serpentine belt squealed and then the engine shut down. I got it towed home. I got a new belt for a jeep without A/C and got it running again. I got a few quotes to fix it and made an appointment at one of the shops. I dropped it off last night and got it back today. The shop did a great job and I would highly recommend them. The shop is called American Auto Air and Repair. If you need your A/C fixed and in the Reno air give them a try.

Nice! Luckily I have a rebuild sticker for my rear at 160k so it's fairly new. Called Jasper to confirm too. So I should be good to go for a long long time until I decide to/can afford to regear. That's the hard part though - you either do it ALL at once, or pay labor twice lol.

What I think is most exciting about regearing is the control I assume you get offroad (rather than the RPMs at highway speed, I don't daily so idc much about that). What ratio are you going to/from, if the 3.07s were changed already? I'm at 3.55 now so I don't think I'll ever go above 31s until I regear
So, with the 3.55 gearing, am I to assume you have a '97?

Correct. Wish it had the 3.73s in it (the XJ, that is), but that setup is fairly rare.
The XJs came with 3.55 gears and automatic transmissions.
IF you could find a 4 cyl XJ; they came with 4.56 gears.
The Dana 44 could be found with 3.73 gears in the 87-90 XJ and MJ.

Last edited:
Look what I found…….red paint 😎View attachment 269580
welcome to the club, like ripping underwear off that's been on for 17 years

IMG_9161.JPG

Replaced my valve cover gasket with a Fel Pro. I look like I was mauled by an alley cat but no drips. Dropped one of the bolts and washer/grommet for that rear hole and it went into the void! Couldn't see it or fish it out with a flexible magnetic wand. I went to Ace for a 1/4" ×"20 × 1" bolt and used a regular washer with a left over rubber grommet.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ