What did you do to your TJ today?

After pulling off the cowl to help @phraza I had another look at my 'very' rusted bracket for holding the cowl in place.....why any designer would put sponge around a metal part beats me but it did its job at holding water right around the bracket and rusted it....:((y)

Its spot welded so I think Im going to have to make my own bracket and drill out the old one (when I say drill I meant just blow on it and it should just crumble haha)

I'm trying to think of a quick fix for now...

IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0738.jpg

Finally had a chance to make some progress on the lift. 3.5 hours to get almost all of one rear shock out. Now to figure out how to get more rust converter spray. Currently on day 2 of Covid quarantine due to the whole family testing postive on CoVid-19

PXL_20210907_220049796.jpg

Reactions: bstrobel64
After pulling off the cowl to help @phraza I had another look at my 'very' rusted bracket for holding the cowl in place.....why any designer would put sponge around a metal part beats me but it did its job at holding water right around the bracket and rusted it....:((y)

Its spot welded so I think Im going to have to make my own bracket and drill out the old one (when I say drill I meant just blow on it and it should just crumble haha)

I'm trying to think of a quick fix for now...

View attachment 275572View attachment 275573
I don't think mine (2006) has anything like that. At least I don't remember seeing it last time I had the cowl off.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
The Bosch has arrived.
wiped the interior of the tank clean as I could, honestly it was fairly clean overall. dropped the new pump in the tank and reinstalled the tank on the jeep laying in the gravel driveway in the rain.
proceeded to change my oil as I was already a little bit wet. got it all done just shy of a hours time tonight.
ACEDCC9E-56DB-4311-9575-0814C895AF7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Went from this:
1.jpg

To this:
2.jpg

In just 6 months. So today, I received and installed this:
3.jpg

This one was recommended by Chris in another thread. US made, and actually cheaper than the first one. Yea, it needs a bit more massaging to look its best...

I'd *really* like to get 1 year out of this one...

Last week I suddenly noticed I had lost the 2 lower speeds on the blower fan. So I took the blower motor resistor out and checked it. Sure enough 2 of the pins registered open circuit. So off I go to pick up a new resistor. Checked the wiring and switch connections just to see if there were any signs of overheating. Everything looks good (at this point). If it happens again I may need to look at the motor itself to see if it's drawing excess current. Does anyone know the nominal current draw of the blower motor at high speed on a (good or new) motor?

Can't help with the current draw but I would recommend looking into the relay upgrade where you add a relay for each fan setting. Takes the current draw off the switch to avoid it melting. JP Mag had a great write-up (if they're still online - no more hard print mag...) but there's plenty of other write-ups out there if they've gone offline.

After replacing my resistor for the second or third time, I did the relays and haven't replaced the resistor since. Good piece of mind, too.

Reactions: John Cooper
Haven't done too much, been busy with work. Had to put the bottom of the half doors on it had been chilly driving home from work at 55 degrees LOL. Yesterday I had to put the top up, windows in and the top of the doors on :cry: since she is going on her own vacation to my friend's shop starting tonight until I get home from mine. Dang CEL came back on last week, same code PO455 and this time there was another one for the fan relay (fan was running fine) sure as shit the light went off but he's going to check it out. Also going to check the diff fluids while she is there....I check the others myself and everything is all good. We flipped 197K 2 weeks ago....

18F7BD32-220B-4C5C-B9FD-7D786F65A2F3.jpeg

^ That is rough! I feel for guys that fight suspension bolts, rust, etc. #1 criteria for me when I bought my LJ was a southern rust free frame/chassis. Double up on anti-seize!

Reactions: wigsajumper
Mine is a 1998 maybe they hadn't learnt that water and metal don't mix by then haha
My 1998 had the same stupid foam in the same place. Luckily, I found it a long time ago and before too much of the steel bracket rusted away. I cleaned it up and primed and painted it. After 10 years, it still looks great. I empathize with you.

Well, after owning my ‘06 TJ for about a year now, I finally got around to taking off those hideous dealer decals (2). Here’s some “before & after” pics. It looks so much better without them.
If you’re wondering how to remove decals the easy way, here you go:
Apply some heat with a heat gun or a handheld hair dryer, begin peeling the decal off with your fingernail or a credit card while keeping the heat on your work area. There will likely be some adhesive residue left behind. Dab some rubbing alcohol on the residue & keep it wet with alcohol for 3 or 4 minutes. Then use your credit card, old driver’s license or whatever to gently scrape away the adhesive residue. Soak a rag with more alcohol & wipe the area down. If you still see a faint trace of the decal due to paint fading of whatever (like I did) treat the area with some mild polishing compound. It looks perfect now.

F2F4BB81-82C7-44CF-A30C-43F67553B141.jpeg

EA2DDD55-D887-4EC3-850C-51D94AEA53AD.jpeg

I am skeerd of not installing them correctly.
Honestly, its pretty difficult to install them with the nutserts allowing the screws to be perfectly centered on the top holes (I mean PERFECT). This is after installing 3 sets (one over again on my TJ because it was installed incorrectly)

Reactions: RINC
My 1998 had the same stupid foam in the same place. Luckily, I found it a long time ago and before too much of the steel bracket rusted away. I cleaned it up and primed and painted it. After 10 years, it still looks great. I empathize with you.
Did you rip the sponge /foam out in the end ?...I can see a the point of it being there !!

Finally had a chance to make some progress on the lift. 3.5 hours to get almost all of one rear shock out. Now to figure out how to get more rust converter spray. Currently on day 2 of Covid quarantine due to the whole family testing postive on CoVid-19

View attachment 275574
I can feel the rust crumbs falling into my eyes just looking at that picture. Good on you for gettin' er though!

As for what I did, changed the oil and was gonna rotate my tires. Wheel lock key wasn't in the glove box so I looked around for it a bit, couldn't find it, and went home. When I got home I did happen to find it in the MOLLE pouch on my tailgate. Put it there so it would stop clanking around in the glove box. I am not a smart man.