What did you do to your TJ today?

Finished up a busy weekend working on the TJ. After replacing nutserts, my OCD took over and decided to deep clean the undercarriage of the Jeep. Not fun doing this without a lift. Then sprayed it down with Surface Shield (fluid film equivalent). After a cleaning like this, makes it hard to take it offroad again.
View attachment 287617

Tom Woods driveshaft finally arrived and threw that on.
View attachment 287602

After all that, I figured I’d give it a shot replacing my front upper control arms. I’ve replaced the rest but I previously failed removing the front uppers due to that stupid factory bolt head on the axle side and haven’t tried again since (2 years ago). Well maybe it took 2 years to figure it out. Got them out and replaced with a new factory set I had sitting. Old arm bushings were actually still in good shape. I think I’ve officially replaced every wear item under the Jeep now since owning it.

My take off stock parts pile continues to grow.
View attachment 287606

Stupid bolt that had me stumped. But not today.
View attachment 287607

After rolling around under the Jeep for the past 3 days, I don’t want to find myself back under there for quite awhile.
Best place for a nap.

Installed a new socket connector for my smittybilt winch. It required some soldering which I need to up my practice on, but it's fixed at least.

Opened up the Dana 30 to see why my Aussie locker isn't acting right and found out me and my buddy ( who is aborderline alchoholic) somehow managed to put the bearing caps on opposite sides and upside down. Total face palm moment. Straightened that out and it passed the spin test so I RTV'd it up. 2wd is just like it's supposed to be, only hear mild ratcheting at low speed tight turns.

4wd however it is popping when I turn the wheels like either something is binding or it's unlocking. This is while in 1st gear with my foot off the throttle. Brand new u-joints and 4340 shafts. So still clueless. If I can't get it figured out soon I'm going back to spider gears. 35" Tires are at 26 psi but I do need to double check they are the same height within 3/8. Ugh

Took it off Facebook Marketplace, sat down and figured up what I actually have in it $$ wise. I was gonna sell it and put the money towards a Rubicon, but when I figured it up I can build what I want and how I want it and still won't be upside down in it.

The new name will be Decepticon !!!!!
I will be ordering the decals soon.
You dodged a bullet!!

You stole the name I wanted, oh well guess I will go with "SLEEPER".
:ROFLMAO:
🫂

Vice grips or similar:
372.jpg

Finished up a busy weekend working on the TJ. After replacing nutserts, my OCD took over and decided to deep clean the undercarriage of the Jeep. Not fun doing this without a lift. Then sprayed it down with Surface Shield (fluid film equivalent). After a cleaning like this, makes it hard to take it offroad again.
View attachment 287617

Tom Woods driveshaft finally arrived and threw that on.
View attachment 287602

After all that, I figured I’d give it a shot replacing my front upper control arms. I’ve replaced the rest but I previously failed removing the front uppers due to that stupid factory bolt head on the axle side and haven’t tried again since (2 years ago). Well maybe it took 2 years to figure it out. Got them out and replaced with a new factory set I had sitting. Old arm bushings were actually still in good shape. I think I’ve officially replaced every wear item under the Jeep now since owning it.

My take off stock parts pile continues to grow.
View attachment 287606

View attachment 287607

After rolling around under the Jeep for the past 3 days, I don’t want to find myself back under there for quite awhile.
Yes,I got mine out and sandblast it,bent it in a little and antisiezed and back in

Reactions: John Cooper
Modified the transmission exhaust bracket after raising the TC 1.5” in prep for a TT. After raising the drivetrain, the exhaust was rattling against the passenger UCA frame mount. A temporary remedy was administered to lower the exhaust until I get the new skid. I highlighted the details in my build thread.
69246934-A832-417C-B1D1-EFCA406F6E90.jpeg
2DDDDB27-96A5-4BDF-860F-6F4DBFAA67A3.jpeg
97EEA426-6DA3-4DFB-8B8A-625152F64078.jpeg

And of course an obligatory sunset photo.
697A3F64-F72D-4FA5-9E3A-A53B2E13296D.jpeg

Modified the transmission exhaust bracket after raising the TC 1.5” in prep for a TT. After raising the drivetrain, the exhaust was rattling against the passenger UCA frame mount. A temporary remedy was administered to lower the exhaust until I get the new skid. I highlighted the details in my build thread.
View attachment 287761View attachment 287762View attachment 287763

View attachment 287765
Jus did this but instead of cutting this piece I just bent the cat brace bar that goes through that with some heat,but what you did is slick,👍

Reactions: jazngab and RINC

View attachment 287765
I like this solution. The hole is pre drilled and the ribs Keep it from rotating.

Last edited:

View attachment 287765
As AndyG gazed at the photo, he gently tapped the “high five” button on his screen that only RubiBros have.

Fixed my annoying console closure that was missing the bumpers- found these- they could be trimmed but the slightest pressure lets it close securely.

I’m also about to remove the lid and put some foam membrane hundred to provide some tension on the little plates and screws to the console- The same trick works well for dash squeaks-

I also did the @Jamison C Mod to the console lock. Awesome.

Tomorrow I’m scheduled for my “RubiBro” tattoo he and I are getting-

He is so the man.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure i ever posted this - But I felt like this could help some members -

My 33 inch spare tire was giving the tailgate a beating from the previous owners because they never really set -it up correctly-

So I fabricated an aluminum plate and coated it with bedliner and bolted it to the stock spare carrier holes with stand offs i made from rubber bumpers

Then I found some weird snubbers for the gate-

It worked out good and distributed the load better:

image.jpg

Not sure i ever posted this - But I felt like this could help some members -

My 33 inch spare tire was giving the tailgate a beating from the previous owners because they never really set -it up correctly-

So I fabricated an aluminum plate and coated it with bedliner and bolted it to the stock spare carrier holes with stand offs i made from rubber bumpers

Then I found some weird snubbers for the gate-

It worked out good and distributed the load better:

View attachment 287800

Throw the back seat out and put the spare in it's place.

Throw the back seat out and put the spare in it's place.
It is out- no desire to do that- one is it is hard to secure and I don’t want clobbered by it in a wreck- And to remove the seat that I don’t use and put the spare in there that I don’t use to fill up the space that I can’t use is just not a strong plan for me right now-

They do look good mounted on an angle in the back of Rigs - I’m just not ready to go bobtail