What did you do to your TJ today?

I’ve got this! ☺️

B92413E6-866B-40C2-9C3E-31A8A18E6255.jpeg

Dropped my Jeep off for some new gears. Out with the old 3.07 and getting some 4.56.
That’s what I did. While the work was being done I dad them install Tru Tracks (front & rear), chromoly axles & new front hubs. I saved a lot on labor since they were in there changing gears anyway.
Be sure to get the correct speedometer gear. For my TJ with 33” tires, a 39 tooth gear is what I needed.
This is THE BEST thing you could do to a Jeep! I’ve attached some data on how the 4.56 gears changed things for the better.

1AD9A752-C453-48D1-A46F-A9B3D843AEE0.png

That’s what I did. While the work was being done I dad them install Tru Tracks (front & rear), chromoly axles & new front hubs. I saved a lot on labor since they were in there changing gears anyway.
Be sure to get the correct speedometer gear. For my TJ with 33” tires, a 39 tooth gear is what I needed.
This is THE BEST thing you could do to a Jeep! I’ve attached some data on how the 4.56 gears changed things for the better.

View attachment 300944
Yep. I ordered the speedo gear already. Will probably do a lunchbox locker in the front down the road.

Changed spark plugs, cap, rotar and cleared the misfire codes. So far not returning. Guessing it was the cap...cheap pos.

Welded recovery points on to my rear bumper...screwed my departure angle but not too worried. Found a random ground wire...ignored it... probably previous version of trailer wiring. Think the PO added crossmember to frame brackets. Chased all the threads with a tap and replaced the bolts with grade 8. Noticed provisions for bolts blocked by the gas tank and made notes to add them the next time I drop the tank.

IMG_20220106_110940451.jpg

IMG_20220106_105415308_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220106_105401367.jpg

IMG_20220106_105036938.jpg

Changed spark plugs, cap, rotar and cleared the misfire codes. So far not returning. Guessing it was the cap...cheap pos.

Welded recovery points on to my rear bumper...screwed my departure angle but not too worried. Found a random ground wire...ignored it... probably previous version of trailer wiring. Think the PO added crossmember to frame brackets. Chased all the threads with a tap and replaced the bolts with grade 8. Noticed provisions for bolts blocked by the gas tank and made notes to add them the next time I drop the tank.

View attachment 300989

View attachment 300990

View attachment 300991

View attachment 300992
Curious; why the odd shaped hole for the recovery points?

View attachment 300989

View attachment 300990

View attachment 300991

View attachment 300992
Did you surface mount those or are they through mounted. Surface mounting is sketchy.

Reactions: Zorba
Did you surface mount those or are they through mounted. Surface mounting is sketchy.
V grooved deep and two heavy slow mig passes. And preheated. So yeah surface mounted. Exactly where the frame rail is and supported on the back with some existing heavy channel.

Still have the hitch as a recovery point if anything goes wrong.

Thought was being able to steal the hitch shackle mount for vehicles that might have a hitch and no other recovery points.

A situation I ran into a couple of weeks ago.

-Mac

Reactions: TJ Starting
V grooved deep and two heavy slow mig passes. And preheated. So yeah surface mounted. Exactly where the frame rail is and supported on the back with some existing heavy channel.

Still have the hitch as a recovery point if anything goes wrong.

Thought was being able to steal the hitch shackle mount for vehicles that might have a hitch and no other recovery points.

A situation I ran into a couple of weeks ago.

-Mac
When I installed my shackle mounts on my front bumper I used .25 inch plate on the back of the bumper and through slotted both it and the bumper. Welded the shackle mount to the backing plate both sides then welded that to the bumper. I would be worried about side loading your setup with any real tug.

Reactions: Tob and Moglocker
you mean the whole roll cage or just the spreader bar? What's your price? I have no idea what he wants for it, but if you're good for the money & shipping, I don't mind going to get it. He had either 4 or 5 TJ's and a pair of 2 door JK's. He has his guys do the pulling, but that harness at the salvage yard I've been going to would've cost twice that, easy. I think he's mainly in it for the big ticket items, it's not your typical yard in my experience.

Dude gets them from a lawyer who apparently buys them to wreck them if he thinks it will win him a lawsuit. The guy at the desk said this dude has a warehouse full of wrecked cars, and whenever he's done with them he unloads them here. Some lady was killed in a Mercedes because the airbag didn't go off. Lawyer buys 10 identical Mercedes & wrecks them all, airbag goes off each time. I don't know what his initial investment was, but the payoff has to cover that expense plus whatever % of the time his gamble doesn't pay off.

EDIT: you're in SE Texas, just come on up and get them!

• Wow
Reactions: Tob and TJ Starting
you mean the whole roll cage or just the spreader bar? What's your price? I have no idea what he wants for it, but if you're good for the money & shipping, I don't mind going to get it. He had either 4 or 5 TJ's and a pair of 2 door JK's. He has his guys do the pulling, but that harness at the salvage yard I've been going to would've cost twice that, easy. I think he's mainly in it for the big ticket items, it's not your typical yard in my experience.

Dude gets them from a lawyer who apparently buys them to wreck them if he thinks it will win him a lawsuit. The guy at the desk said this dude has a warehouse full of wrecked cars, and whenever he's done with them he unloads them here. Some lady was killed in a Mercedes because the airbag didn't go off. Lawyer buys 10 identical Mercedes & wrecks them all, airbag goes off each time. I don't know what his initial investment was, but the payoff has to cover that expense plus whatever % of the time his gamble doesn't pay off.

EDIT: you're in SE Texas, just come on up and get them!
Just the spreader bar. Sounds great, I'll PM you.

Reactions: Irun
Last night I installed a USASPEC PA11-CHR adapter. About $75 on amazon, Its a dated piece of tech that allows you to remove the 11-pin connector on the back of your radio (mines an RBQ radio) and then a small junction box allows for the use of an old iPod 30-pin connector to play music. I don't have an iPod, but the junction box also allows for an RCA input. So now I have an aux input to my factory RBQ radio! I'll make a little write up on it this weekend, as I don't find much info on the PA11-CHR on the site.

Reactions: voodooridr
Every time I see that people only relying on hydraulic jacks,widow makers or any other form of hoisting without using blocking of some sort, I cringe !

Do yourself and your family a favour a
DO NOT
become a statistic
(y) Life is worth far more than a $60 pair of jack stands! For anyone else out here that needs some, I have three sets of these that I use religiously. The bonus on this particular stand is the "mobility pin", which is a double safety lock that prevents them from collapsing. They are relatively inexpensive for a 6 ton stand and worth every penny!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074R17GL4/?tag=wranglerorg-20