What did you do to your TJ today?

It could be worse. You could be an XJ owner, which means you don't crimp anything. On your best day you'd use wire nuts, which probably means you were out of chewing gum.

Hey now. I still miss mine. 🥲

XJ 3 1 2020 best uhaul (2).jpg

Hey now. I still miss mine. 🥲

View attachment 381234

They get a bad rap from us round headlight guys, but it's the guys who drive them who should get the bad rap. Find me an XJ owner who has touched a torque wrench other than to scratch his own buttcrack with it.. :)

I kid. My best friend drives an XJ. And he knows I'm right in my assessment. But those dudes aren't afraid to do ANYTHING in their rigs. They'd attempt a loop-the-loop if it was in front of them.

They'd attempt a loop-the-loop if it was in front of them.

You got something against loopers? I don't own an XJ, but I did do a loop-the-loop on a snow machine back in 2004 as a member of the Polaris Thrill Team. We performed during 50th anniversary celebrations of the company in Roseau and Mpls, MN (I'm in this photo):

1670020953970.png

Of course, being an engineer working for a huge corporation, the legal department required us to prove that the acceleration forces wouldn't kill us (we knew it wouldn't, but they weren't convinced). So, I built a full-size remote-control snow machine, we put sandbags on it to simulate human weight, we instrumented it with accelerometers, and I ran it through the loop to convince the lawyers it wouldn't hurt us:

1670021286471.png

Once we convinced them, they limited the number of employees they'd allow through it to mitigate risk. I was the alternate for the performance, so I went through it one time in practice (that's all they'd let the alternate do it). Fun times!

Changed out the safety relief valve on the OBA system from 150 to 175 PSI, and that fixed the sudden discharge issue. The 150 rated valve was opening at about 144 PSI, the pressure switch is rated to shut down at 145. With the new valve in place, the first time pressurizing the system it shut down at about 148 - so there certainly was a tolerance stackup problem. BUT - 3 subsequent tests had the system shutting down at about 142. Sounds like what we used to call a "Virgin Problem" - first time something behaves differently than subsequent runs. So maybe the 150 would have squeaked by after all - but then again, the temp would change! :D

DSC01734.JPG

DSC01735.JPG

Between not driving the Jeep for the last couple of weeks (using the rental we have while wife's Fiat is in the body shop) and running the OBA system for testing, figured I probably should throw the battery charger on it for a few hours.

DSC01736.JPG

I'm so glad to see I am not the only one who feels that way about his TJ... (I even gave mine a pat on the spare tire last night, when walking by it in the garage 🤫)

I give mine a pat on the bum now and again ,and say thanks for getting me home.. ;)

Changed out the safety relief valve on the OBA system from 150 to 175 PSI, and that fixed the sudden discharge issue. The 150 rated valve was opening at about 144 PSI, the pressure switch is rated to shut down at 145. With the new valve in place, the first time pressurizing the system it shut down at about 148 - so there certainly was a tolerance stackup problem. BUT - 3 subsequent tests had the system shutting down at about 142. Sounds like what we used to call a "Virgin Problem" - first time something behaves differently than subsequent runs. So maybe the 150 would have squeaked by after all - but then again, the temp would change! :D

View attachment 381290

View attachment 381291

Can I see some better pics of that a-pillar gauge mount? I've seen them for sale but it seems like the a-pillar is somehow different on 03-06?