What did you do to your TJ today?

I've been having a problem with the Jeep pulling to the left on hard braking. Another feed on this forum recommend flushing the brakes, so I flushed the brake system today. (The Motive Power Bleeder recommend by others on this forum made this supper easy.)

Found left rear brake wasn't flowing any fluid through the cylinder. Worked with it and got it to flow properly. Finished the flush, & now no more pull to the left.

This forum has been a great source for learning how to keep my jeep functioning as it is supposed to as it gets older. Thanks to all who contribute.

(Not sure why the brake not working on the left made it pull to the left. I'll have to research that some more.)

I've been having a problem with the Jeep pulling to the left on hard braking. Another feed on this forum recommend flushing the brakes, so I flushed the brake system today. (The Motive Power Bleeder recommend by others on this forum made this supper easy.)

Found left rear brake wasn't flowing any fluid through the cylinder. Worked with it and got it to flow properly. Finished the flush, & now no more pull to the left.

This forum has been a great source for learning how to keep my jeep functioning as it is supposed to as it gets older. Thanks to all who contribute.

(Not sure why the brake not working on the left made it pull to the left. I'll have to research that some more.)

If someone doesn't want to spend $70+ on the Motive Power Bleeder, I used ChrisFix's system which is basically a Gatorade bottle and some vinyl tubing. I had the Gatorade bottle and the vinyl tubing was about $3 at my local Ace. With me being iffy about doing it, I actually ended up working well.

What about vacuum bleeders? Good? Bad?

With the vacuum bleeder, I always had air pull through the threads of the bleeder. A vacuum bleader would work, but would take more pumping & time. You would also need to keep an eye on the reservoir level to ensure air wasn't pulled into the system as you pulled the old fluid out.

The Motive Power Bleeder pressurizes and fills the reservoir at the same time. Makes flushing the system by yourself pretty easy.

Well, I have a pot of Red Beans and sausage bubbling on the stove, and the rice cooker is doing it's thing. In the meantime, I decided to try on a half door, since they are finished except for some door pin inserts that I have on order. Figured I might as well see how they look.
20231007_174807.jpg

They look great! The red is just a shade darker than the factory paint (or maybe I didn't put on enough coats), but I really like it, and it's close enough that it won't bother me!
20231007_174823.jpg

I loved it so much that I swapped on the Driver's side too. I figure I'll run 'em for the next 3-4 weeks, when the weather gets too cold to go without half of your doors!😆

20231007_180620.jpg

I got 3 of the 4 old bump stops out. I got 0 of the 3 new bump stops in. The springs on the lift are too close together so I'm going to have rent a spring compressor.

I did put 1" wheel spacers on and that has eliminated the tires rubbing on the suspension when the steering wheel is turned all the way.

I got 3 of the 4 old bump stops out. I got 0 of the 3 new bump stops in. The springs on the lift are too close together so I'm going to have rent a spring compressor.

I did put 1" wheel spacers on and that has eliminated the tires rubbing on the suspension when the steering wheel is turned all the way.

Take it from someone who had a spring compressor pop on him. 1 year into marriage and I almost left my wife a widow. Disconnect the shocks and track bars!!!

I also made a blood sacrifice to the Jeep gods.I was moving a jack stand around (not under load) and hit the lever to cause the bar to descend and pinched the side of my finger.
Replaced the dead lighter with this. Interesting that it reads 11.9v and the battery reads 12.5 :rolleyes:
View attachment 463937

At least you installed yours with the text facing the right way.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
When I haul the bike the disc rotors and cassette pretty much cover the brake lights and I ride 3-4 times a week, not ideal. I've had a 3rd brake light from a Chevy truck in a box for years and figured why not. It doesn't look bad at all and is plenty bright. Bonus is the left vent was almost falling out so it got fixed when it came out to run the wires.
IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2197(1).jpg

I also made a blood sacrifice to the Jeep gods.I was moving a jack stand around (not under load) and hit the lever to cause the bar to descend.

At least you installed yours with the text facing the right way.
Tis merely a flesh wound… 😂
Monty Python Fight GIF

Vacuumed all the leaves out and finally put the top and doors back on. Looks like all the the nice warm days and nights are past, as I usually leave them off from May till October. I'll still drop the top and doors for the occasional pretty day though.

On the plus side, the stereo upgrade I did back in July is really shining now that all the sound is trapped inside and not getting muffled by the wind.

Last edited:
When I haul the bike the disc rotors and cassette pretty much cover the brake lights and I ride 3-4 times a week, not ideal. I've had a 3rd brake light from a Chevy truck in a box for years and figured why not. It doesn't look bad at all and is plenty bright. Bonus is the left vent was almost falling out so it got fixed when it came out to run the wires.
View attachment 463942

View attachment 463943

Nice Mammoths.