What did you do to your TJ today?

Over the weekend started the install of the 3” lift. Mostly complete, but messed up the drag link at pitman arm so swapping out the drag link and tie rod, waiting on parts

Installed adjustable LCA on front axle. There are markings on the shackle but not really sure of their purpose. Looks like a standard bolt with large flat washer. Any thoughts?

I didn't see an answer in the following posts, so I'll give it a shot. if your referring to the little hash marks on the axle side of the CA, those are for subtle adjustment to castor using an offset washer and bolt. I think only the early year TJs did that. Most have been replaced with just a regular bolt and large flat washer. With adjustable CAs, you don't need to worry about it as you're setting your caster with the ACAs. If your talking about something else, pics are needed.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Danarch
Informal poll. I am starting to save pennies for the next upgrade, and I am having a tough time choosing between these two.

SwayLoc $700
Genright rock sliders $800.

Any good alternatives to the GR sliders? Savvy still isn't making them for us yet, maybe they will by the time I have enough pennies saved. No one else that I have seen seems to fit the requirements of a properly designed slider per the folks in the know on this forum. I am open to suggestions.

Informal poll. I am starting to save pennies for the next upgrade, and I am having a tough time choosing between these two.

SwayLoc $700

Any good alternatives to the GR sliders? Savvy still isn't making them for us yet, maybe they will by the time I have enough pennies saved. No one else that I have seen seems to fit the requirements of a properly designed slider per the folks in the know on this forum. I am open to suggestions.

I got the ones from RockHard. They are styled the same, have the spacers welded on, AND are cheaper. I think you are paying for the Genright name.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/Jeep_Wrangler_TJ_Rock_Sliders_Rocker_Guards_s/385.htm

SwayLoc $700

I'm assuming you've looked through JMT's sliders thread?

I was just looking closer at the GR's a few days ago. I think that's what I've settled on for down the road....but is any decision ever really made until you place the order?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and chudlet
Have you changed your valve cover gasket? I thought I had a rear main seal leaking until I changed my valve cover gasket.

High Mileage synthetics have very similar additive packages as the conventional high mileage oil.

My "RMS leak" slowed to a very small trickle after I replaced the VCG, and thoroughly cleaned off all the surfaces that the VCG leak could have gone.

Thanks to @gbirk for the file and @SSTJ for maintaining the list. I got my new 3d printed snubbers installed. Looks much better than my DIY PVC and cane feet setup.

IMG_0805.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

I'm assuming you've looked through JMT's sliders thread?

I was just looking closer at the GR's a few days ago. I think that's what I've settled on for down the road....but is any decision ever really made until you place the order?

yeah, 30 pages, and starting the read again. hard to keep it straight by the time you get to the end. GR and JCR seem to be the only ones that are full wheel to wheel, have the inside brace and rivnut to the torq boxes. Savvy has been re-adding to the TJ page lately, but so far nothing on the sliders. Was hoping there was fresh perspective on the current offerings.

yeah, 30 pages, and starting the read again. hard to keep it straight by the time you get to the end. GR and JCR seem to be the only ones that are full wheel to wheel, have the inside brace and rivnut to the torq boxes. Savvy has been re-adding to the TJ page lately, but so far nothing on the sliders. Was hoping there was fresh perspective on the current offerings.

Yea I've been through it a few times too. I like the JCR's but the price is a bit steep compared to the already expensive GR's. Of course those are different than the others, but I'm not a hardcore rock crawler living by JV or anything like that. So for my needs, I can probably take a step back from the baddest of sliders (here's to hoping I won't regret that down the road! lol).

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and PNW_LJ
Yea I've been through it a few times too. I like the JCR's but the price is a bit steep compared to the already expensive GR's. Of course those are different than the others, but I'm not a hardcore rock crawler living by JV or anything like that. So for my needs, I can probably take a step back from the baddest of sliders (here's to hoping I won't regret that down the road! lol).

LOL right? I try to be soft on my rig, but I've already had an obstacle shove the previously attached step up into bottom edge and create a divot I am going to have to massage out before I can put rock rails on. I know 35's are in my future at some point, but I am probably not going to be going to highline fenders and full (Jeep) body armor. Of course there is always the BFH Garage / @jjvw rock rails that look to be in prototyping stage ;-) Might be worth waiting for :-D

LOL right? I try to be soft on my rig, but I've already had an obstacle shove the previously attached step up into bottom edge and create a divot I am going to have to massage out before I can put rock rails on. I know 35's are in my future at some point, but I am probably not going to be going to highline fenders and full (Jeep) body armor. Of course there is always the BFH Garage / @jjvw rock rails that look to be in prototyping stage ;-) Might be worth waiting for :-D

Those BFH sliders/boat sides looked nice.

For me, I'm not too concerned with ww2ww as I expected to keep factory (or factory-ish) flares. That definitely opens up some more options. I like the TNT adventure series too. They're on my short list.

I didn't see an answer in the following posts, so I'll give it a shot. if your referring to the little hash marks on the axle side of the CA, those are for subtle adjustment to castor using an offset washer and bolt. I think only the early year TJs did that. Most have been replaced with just a regular bolt and large flat washer. With adjustable CAs, you don't need to worry about it as you're setting your caster with the ACAs. If your talking about something else, pics are needed.

Those are what I was referring too. They just have bolts and flat washers. Thank you for the information.

.... Of course there is always the BFH Garage / @jjvw rock rails that look to be in prototyping stage ;-) Might be worth waiting for :-D

It will be a long forever wait. But if anyone wants to make their own, we can help with the design process. The work isn't particularly complicated.

It will be a long forever wait. But if anyone wants to make their own, we can help with the design process. The work isn't particularly complicated.

The two parts that seem difficult to me are the math, the welding and drawing a straight line.

The two parts that seem difficult to me are the math, the welding and drawing a straight line.

The only math involved is reading a tape measure, ruler and a protractor.

The issue with these becoming a product is that the GenRight version is already wildly expensive despite several shortcuts. The version we made would only be more so. And they don't have the tube step that most think they want.

For those who want to tackle this as a DIY project, the difficulty will be generating the CAD file just to get a fab shop to speak to you. Then the problem is finding a fab shop that is willing to take on such a miniscule production run.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and RINC
The only math involved is reading a tape measure, ruler and a protractor.

The issue with these becoming a product is that the GenRight version is already wildly expensive despite several shortcuts. The version we made would only be more so. And they don't have the tube step that most think they want.

For those who want to tackle this as a DIY project, the difficulty will be generating the CAD file just to get a fab shop to speak to you. Then the problem is finding a fab shop that is willing to take on such a miniscule production run.

Have you guys looked at something like xometry or send-cut-send for the pieces? I have NO CLUE what their prices or capabilities are, just been hearing and seeing a lot about them. Seems like if you had the files you might be able to order what you needed.

Have you guys looked at something like xometry or send-cut-send for the pieces? I have NO CLUE what their prices or capabilities are, just been hearing and seeing a lot about them. Seems like if you had the files you might be able to order what you needed.

I'm not particularly interested in making boatsides for production. These are for a niche market within a niche market. But anyone else is welcome to try making their own.

Reactions: bbaldwin237

I'm not particularly interested in making boatsides for production. These are for a niche market within a niche market. But anyone else is welcome to try making their own.

I see now that I misread your first post. I read it as you guys were trying to make it DIY but we're having issues getting a fab shop. It would be interesting how much a company like that would charge for the pieces if someone was looking to DIY. It's hard to imagine it could save too much, if any.

Reading is hard! lol

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and jjvw

This is an example of the contents of a DXF file that I used with Send-Cut-Send. The part is sheet metal and the green line indicates the bend they should make. Worked out well.

The bend point is calculated in sheet metal CAD software, where the thickess and the K-factor can be entered (https://sendcutsend.com/blog/what-is-k-factor-in-bending-terminology).

Andy

Screenshot 2024-02-22 162151.png

Screenshot 2024-02-22 162316.png