What did you do to your TJ today?

Finished up my shock exchange this AM before breakfast. The rears are much easier, except that upper rear shock bolt near the frame that can be cumbersome to get to. The right extension will help. Also, the exhaust side is a little cumbersome as well. Only had to disconnect one side of the rear sway bar to get them in.
6E483DB8-8D30-4FCD-9F56-8FA2FC2E13D0.jpeg

12DD43B2-532E-41C6-9EF4-9B064F820C8F.jpeg

Now to see how they ride. Rears eye to eye were 2-2 1/2” shorter than the Bilstein’s.

Finished up my shock exchange this AM before breakfast. The rears are much easier, except that upper rear shock bolt near the frame that can be cumbersome to get to. The right extension will help. Also, the exhaust side is a little cumbersome as well. Only had to disconnect one side of the rear sway bar to get them in.
View attachment 39386
View attachment 39387
Now to see how they ride. Rears eye to eye were 2-2 1/2” shorter than the Bilstein’s.

Does that mean you can remove some bumpstop? How is that going to affect your droop?

Today I'm going to change the radio so Bluetooth will work with my iPhone. I'm also adding some pedal extenders for the shorter drivers in my family.
By the way, I put Polk Audio 5 1/4" two way speakers in the dash using little plastic boxes I got from Crutchfield. Big improvement!! Tight fit but they work.
My radio has bluetooth too. Only really useful if stopped or using hardtop (Have a hardtop, but haven't used it in years.) due to wind noise. I guess at <25mph it'd be OK. I replaced all speakers with Polks too a few weeks ago. Vast improvement. Bluetooth still not really usable unfortunately.
Let us know if you find a solution that's usable while driving around town/on roadways.

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
Finally got rid of the steel winch line and went to 3/8” synthetic. Switched the roller out to a hawse fairlead and put the new line on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What line did you choose? I have a 95', 3/8' synthetic line with protective cover in my Amazon cart, just haven't pulled the trigger. Easy job?

Painted the inserts around my headlights black and touched up the grill paint. Now onto trying to install front shocks to match the ones in the back. Wish me luck. I didn’t see a write up in the how to section so I need to rely on @Dave K. And u tube. I know the bolts aren’t rusted so that’s encouraging :). I like my new headlights:)
8DB64F61-9DCD-400A-B1F5-1A539B9EB47A.jpeg
A8CAFC7B-CBF9-44C4-A075-4471485816AE.jpeg
33D935EA-CA83-4443-89FA-2CEF3FA1A69D.jpeg
1C34374D-5FE9-492D-9077-5ECDB2EC79D8.jpeg
71B8BD30-33BB-40FB-A430-EDCD44FDC1BF.jpeg
D2E059E6-395F-47CA-84A3-7562CD2683D5.jpeg
D53AF6EC-46EB-49A3-BF8E-C0C0BF260D49.jpeg

What line did you choose? I have a 95', 3/8' synthetic line with protective cover in my Amazon cart, just haven't pulled the trigger. Easy job?

I went the amazon route too.
Ultranger
4.5 out of 5 stars 10 Reviews
Ranger 3/8" x 100' Jacket Dyneema Synthetic Winch Rope 20,500LBs with Removable Rock Guard by Ultranger
Looks to be pretty good quality from what I can tell. Easy job, 20 mins or so total. The steel line was 5/16 x 100’. The new 3/8” line fills the spool about to the max. The 92’ or 95’ would probably been a better fit, but I liked the protective sheath that came on this one for another $30-35. Either way, I don’t think you can go wrong with amazon pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke-TJ
My radio has bluetooth too. Only really useful if stopped or using hardtop (Have a hardtop, but haven't used it in years.) due to wind noise. I guess at <25mph it'd be OK. I replaced all speakers with Polks too a few weeks ago. Vast improvement. Bluetooth still not really usable unfortunately.
Let us know if you find a solution that's usable while driving around town/on roadways.
Got the Bluetooth working. Yes, it's not going to work at higher speeds. We spend a lot of time at lower speeds here on Maui, there aren't any freeways, most speed limits are 45 and below. The new receiver also Bluetooth's music from my iPhone. Neat feature. My Polk 5.25" speakers in the sound bar and dash really help. The ones in the dash have little boxes around them. I may build a very compact woofer to go somewhere to fill in the bass a bit.
The pedal extenders really work well, better than I expected.
Some day I need to fix my broken ventilation diverter flap, I guess that means most of the dash comes apart. Yikes.

Reactions: Duke-TJ
Painted the inserts around my headlights black and touched up the grill paint. Now onto trying to install front shocks to match the ones in the back. Wish me luck. I didn’t see a write up in the how to section so I need to rely on @Dave K. And u tube. I know the bolts aren’t rusted so that’s encouraging :). I like my new headlights:)
View attachment 39389 View attachment 39390 View attachment 39391 View attachment 39392 View attachment 39393 View attachment 39396 View attachment 39397
Nice job! I need to redo mine, I had used the wrong primer and they out like utter crap :(

Nice job! I need to redo mine, I had used the wrong primer and they out like utter crap :(
Thanks! I didn’t know there was a wrong primer. I hope mine was ok. I did however use the wrong stuff for my bumper I think. I used permadex rust protectant then paint, but reading the can today , it said I should have done a layer of primer over the permadex. And my bumper is rusting already.

... I may build a very compact woofer to go somewhere to fill in the bass a bit.
Check out Rockford Fosgate PS-8 powered slim subwoofer, if you haven't already. Mounts under the back seat. When I feel like I have $175 lying around to increase the Bass in my Jeep, I plan to go for it. Another of the many Jeep items in my Amazon cart. You never know when you'll be notified of a price drop!

Reactions: JMT
Thanks! I didn’t know there was a wrong primer. I hope mine was ok. I did however use the wrong stuff for my bumper I think. I used permadex rust protectant then paint, but reading the can today , it said I should have done a layer of primer over the permadex. And my bumper is rusting already.
Oh noez!!! I have had pretty good luck with the Rustoleum Trim and Bumper paint on my bumpers. I'll get an occasional spot that I have to touch up, but I did take off my front bumper a month or so ago to inspect the frame and paint. I didn't have an extra set of hands and left my winch on, talk about heavy and awkward.. just lucky I didn't drop it on my foot!

I can't remeber which Rustoleum primer I had used on my light bezels, but it cleary stated that it wasn't for plastic. Of course, I read this afternthe fact o_O

Installed Buchanan 1.5 seat risers today. Easy peasy install. The view over the dash and hood is so much better now. Two small drawbacks I noticed right away are: 1) the center console/armrest is now a little low. Nothing a pad won't easily solve though. 2) the rearview mirror is now directly in my line of sight. That'll take some getting used to, or I'll figure out a way to raise the mirror. Still worth it as the seating position is much more comfortable.

fullsizeoutput_2c1.jpeg

Height difference with the driver side installed and passenger still stock height:

fullsizeoutput_2c3.jpeg

Also replaced the stock JEEP side decals. I know they won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I feel they are fairly understated while still going well with the other orange accents on my TJ. I really like how they look. :)

IMG_1973.JPG

BD82039E-57C6-4EEB-B232-CB0173AB2D5F.jpeg
Ordered a bestop trektop nx soft top from 4wheel parts through ebay last Saturday. It arrived this Saturday in the afternoon so I fitted it today. We we getting ready to carry the hardtop up the my apartment on the 2nd floor but a neighbour said I could leave my hardtop in his back yard for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Installed Buchanan 1.5 seat risers today. Easy peasy install. The view over the dash and hood is so much better now. Two small drawbacks I noticed right away are: 1) the center console/armrest is now a little low. Nothing a pad won't easily solve though. 2) the rearview mirror is now directly in my line of sight. That'll take some getting used to, or I'll figure out a way to raise the mirror. Still worth it as the seating position is much more comfortable.

View attachment 39437

Height difference with the driver side installed and passenger still stock height:

View attachment 39438

Also replaced the stock JEEP side decals. I know they won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I feel they are fairly understated while still going well with the other orange accents on my TJ. I really like how they look. :)

View attachment 39439
I like the sticker. Where do you get these?
I like my newly installed seat risers too. Jeep used to hurt my hip when driving. Now with the riser, moved the seat forward one click and its a much more natural seating position and reach for the pedals. No more pain.

View attachment 39441 Ordered a best top trektop nx soft top from 4wheel parts through ebay last Saturday. It arrived this Saturday in the afternoon so I fitted it today. We we getting ready to carry the hardtop up the my apartment on the 2nd floor but a neighbour said I could leave my hardtop in his back yard for a few weeks.

That top looks nice on your Jeep. What material is it? I will be replacing my Shittybilt top is a couple three months and I am considering the Trektop NX in either Sailcloth or Twill. What I want more than anything else is the easiest possible top in terms of taking it down and putting it back up... Looks are secondary, but still important.

Finally got my headers back from the ceramic coaters and installed them. Only a couple little to-dos to finish before I can take it for a drive again. Next up is 16 inch electric fan and my quadratec iVault that i scored to protect my stereo

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk