What did you do to your TJ today?

More spraying

4A3086AD-2028-42F2-B8C1-559FE70501E4.jpeg 9DC06263-FCA7-4867-A44F-40F6F535A7B3.jpeg 9B79909D-D801-442F-9AB7-B66077BAFD66.jpeg FFFDF0DA-DAE2-4F95-8877-17E07BE519D8.jpeg 0F3107AD-5090-4CDC-9E17-A122B134BF36.jpeg

I think I sold my existing wheels and tires to a buddy today. He bought his XJ over to install a lunchbox locker in front, and do the brakes. We bolted my spare on, and decided that he needs them! That will be be nice... Helps Grease the slides on me getting another set of wheels and tires!
20180715_192747.jpg

Started my jeep after two weeks of sitting. I installed a trickle charger that stays connected to the battery. $20.00 well spent. We have been on vacation in SoCal visiting family in Sun City, and spending time at Coronado Island and Laguna Beach. @Jerry Bransford It was 105 degrees when we landed at San Diego, and 124 degrees when we got to Sun City. How do you wheel in these temps? lol
It gets hot here in TN but we have the trees for shade while wheeling.

Isn’t it dry there? I hate our humidity here in the south. Heat index breeches 103 here yesterday and it’s just stupid sticky hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

You replacing gears yourself? I'd like to try it....
It has been a huge pain. But i really don't trust most mechanics these days. They get paid by the job. They want to do things quick. Since my Jeep is a third vehicle I can take all the time I need to make sure everything is perfect. Its not hard with the right tools and lots of YouTube and forums.

Reactions: Squatch and ac_
It has been a huge pain. But i really don't trust most mechanics these days. They get paid by the job. They want to do things quick. Since my Jeep is a third vehicle I can take all the time I need to make sure everything is perfect. Its not hard with the right tools and lots of YouTube and forums.
That is one of those things, that I know will make a huge difference, but I don't want to pay a mechanic for. We have competent ones local to me, but man...If I KNEW this thing wasn't going to end up on 35's at some point, and I'd only regear 1x? Pay someone. BUT...I know myself. I'll build for 33's, then the bug will grab me and I'll find a deal on 35's. Now I need new gears again. Oh...what's this? A LJR for a song? Guess what Honey, we're selling the TJ and starting over! (new gears, again). Hey, look, a CJ. I've always wanted a CJ. A CJ on 33's will need what? Gears. I think its worth it to learn. That is a lot of cash saved over time. Just wish I knew someone who has done it, so I can watch and learn the first time.

That is one of those things, that I know will make a huge difference, but I don't want to pay a mechanic for. We have competent ones local to me, but man...If I KNEW this thing wasn't going to end up on 35's at some point, and I'd only regear 1x? Pay someone. BUT...I know myself. I'll build for 33's, then the bug will grab me and I'll find a deal on 35's. Now I need new gears again. Oh...what's this? A LJR for a song? Guess what Honey, we're selling the TJ and starting over! (new gears, again). Hey, look, a CJ. I've always wanted a CJ. A CJ on 33's will need what? Gears. I think its worth it to learn. That is a lot of cash saved over time. Just wish I knew someone who has done it, so I can watch and learn the first time.

Jeeping ADHD - Something I suffer greatly from as well! If this LJR is so much fun, what if I owned a (insert another Jeep name here)?!?! Reading @Chris 's posts on going to 35s has had me rethinking things too. but trying to back away from that slippery slope, with both lockers on! ;)

Reactions: Chris and Mike_H

I too have been strongly thinking about doing my gears myself. It would be my first time, but I figure if I am competent enough to do everything else on my own, there’s no reason I couldn’t do my own gears. I would just really have to hope I got it right the first time.

I too have been strongly thinking about doing my gears myself. It would be my first time, but I figure if I am competent enough to do everything else on my own, there’s no reason I couldn’t do my own gears. I would just really have to hope I got it right the first time.
Well, think of it this way...if you fail, your replacement cost will then be equal to what it would have cost to have them installed in the first place. The second time around, you'll know way better what you need to do!

Well, think of it this way...if you fail, your replacement cost will then be equal to what it would have cost to have them installed in the first place. The second time around, you'll know way better what you need to do!

I’ve seen a number of very detailed articles and videos on how to do it. To some degree or another I understand it as well, especially after having had to set the gear lash so many times on a number of 1/5 scale RC cars I’ve owned.

Part of me thinks it’s something I’m building up in my head to be much harder than it actually is.