What did you do to your TJ today?

Changed out the u-joints on the rear driveshaft.
Went to change hydraulic lifters until I found out I got some bad info that you actually have to remove the head. Don't know why I thought I could do that without removing the head, now I have to decide whether to tackle that job.

After getting an initial code P0153 then receiving codes P2098 and P2096 members suggested to replace all O2 sensors. I went with NTK but I'm going to wait to replace the catalytic converter in hopes codes go away plus here in california with emission laws they want an arm and a leg for an approved one.

20190106_142501.jpg

20190106_144055.jpg

20190106_152332.jpg

20190106_152358.jpg

Took Bruiser out yesterday after passing the New Zealand Vehicle safety check up....I'm legal again now.( Just needed new light bulbs and a 'haircut' for my seatbelts ) haha
So went for some time out, relaxing under tree at the beach watching people hunt for pippi's and mussels at low tide.

windsheild.jpg
tree.jpg

I replaced my rear main seal, scrubbed the crap out of my oil pan, and painted my exhaust with black VHT. It actually took the better part of the weekend, but I wasn't in any particular hurry.
It looks presentable now, and seems to have cured my leak!
Now, a beer (or a few) :beer-toast1:

I went to get gas in it for the first time since owning, about 24 hours now. LOL I parked got out and then realized, it's not my other car. It is much shorter. LOL Almost couldn't reach the hole with the nozzle. :D
I used to always park on the wrong side as the filler was on the right hand side....then looking like an idiot backing up and going on the other side of the pump haha

Reactions: KimsJeep
Took Bruiser out yesterday after passing the New Zealand Vehicle safety check up....I'm legal again now.( Just needed new light bulbs and a 'haircut' for my seatbelts ) haha
So went for some time out, relaxing under tree at the beach watching people hunt for pippi's and mussels at low tide.

View attachment 71049View attachment 71050
@Kiwi you live in a beautiful part of the world and your tj is the perfect compliment to all that gorgeous scenery
:)

@Kiwi you live in a beautiful part of the world and your tj is the perfect compliment to all that gorgeous scenery
:)
Thanks very much...I'm imported from England to New Zealand so I truly appreciate the warmer sunny days and the scenery. For a smaller country it really has something for everyone here.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I'm starting to get annoyed with the issues that are popping up. A couple weeks ago I got my Jeep back from having the rear main seal replaced. I didn't have a chance to drive it until yesterday and after about 15 miles the check engine light came on. I did the key trick and came up with code p0133. Now I have to figure what that issue is. Uggh.

Reactions: Kvarilek
Well, I'm not sure if it's progress or not, but I was going to install my receiver hitch yesterday afternoon but I managed to twist off one of the bottom stock bumper bolts and the other is acting like it's going to twist off as well. So, I quit at that point to figure out my "what now?" options. The hitch has 4 mounting bolts, 2 on each side. I suspect that the bottom mounting points are going to end up being welded to the frame at this point. Guess I need to practice up on my welding as it's been a few months and I've never welded on anything from underneath. Should be "interesting".

Also my trans (NSG370) was low on oil (already knew that and was one reason I haven't been driving very far with it). I was going to change it out, but apparently some yahoo over-tightened the drain plug and the hole for the allen socket is almost rounded out. I've got an old 19mm allen wrench that I'm thinking of cutting a couple of inches off of and JB welding inside the drain plug to get the darn thing out. Wonder if anyone sells a replacement plug. But I did go ahead and refill the trans for now.

I still haven't got the 10mm drain and fill plugs for the transfer case out yet. They're tight as hell too. I never understood why some people think those things have to be tighter than a pinion nut on the differential.

Washed her......just in time for the rain.....

Dropped tire pressure. These MTRs really like low pressure when installed on a light Jeep. I'm at 26.5# and still have 3/4" on inside/outside that is not making contact.....

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and ac_

Dropped tire pressure. These MTRs really like low pressure when installed on a light Jeep. I'm at 26.5# and still have 3/4" on inside/outside that is not making contact.....

I am at 26 and feel I could probably drop a touch more.

Are those 33's? I know @tworley is on 35's. I'm on 33's and Rancho 5000X shocks and running 26#, but thinking of dropping to 24-25.

Looking forward to the install. I this the steel or aluminum version?
I cheaped out and went steel, they were having 15% off for the holidays.

Interesting comment I got from Matt at UCF when I was debating the Steel vs Aluminum, he said steel on aluminum can cause quicker corrosion effects (like a battery) if not maintained where the frame meets the skid, that many people put some type of layer like a piece of tape between the frame and aluminum skids. First I'd heard of that with all the aluminum people put on Jeeps... It is heavy but trying to keep a budget.

Will probably take me some time to get it all installed, don't really have the best garage set-up for a project like this.

Reactions: jazngab