What did you do to your TJ today?

I cheaped out and went steel, they were having 15% off for the holidays.

Interesting comment I got from Matt at UCF when I was debating the Steel vs Aluminum, he said steel on aluminum can cause quicker corrosion effects (like a battery) if not maintained where the frame meets the skid, that many people put some type of layer like a piece of tape between the frame and aluminum skids. First I'd heard of that with all the aluminum people put on Jeeps... It is heavy but trying to keep a budget.

Will probably take me some time to get it all installed, don't really have the best garage set-up for a project like this.

Yep, aluminum and steel bolted together tends to really eat up the metal. Especially if in a corrosive environment like salted roads.

Today I added some extra storage. I girl has got to have places to put things. LOL

BtGz9XgShGBgu7fwq9enA_zps9xktrk9g.jpg

Ax8EqqLzQsCBEfB9FYQC8A_zpsidlew9yw.jpg

I also did a little detailing to the inside. Cleaned the dash up a little. It was pretty bad. Turned my white towel brown. Going to do it again in the future but use Clorox Clean Up. This time I just used a detailer.

I also bought some rubber floor mats. So much nicer to step in with wet shoes onto rubber instead of the carpet.

t05vVKgLSGjX5vO4YLeyw_zpstgii1gjp.jpg

Then because of I had some rips in my windows, I got some clear Flex Tape and patched them. Figured the clear would look better but now I'm thinking I should have just went with black. Oh well, they won't leak now.

6X5PQ7SiQECs31BLTW4hfw_zpsaisdpv4u.jpg

That's all I did today. :D

Installed the new rack and basket, getting ready to throw the kayaks on top!

That is the one thing I am going to miss about my other Jeep, I had a way to put kayaks on. With the soft top, don't have that luxury. Guess I will have to wait till it warms up and just put the top down. LOL :D

Yep, aluminum and steel bolted together tends to really eat up the metal. Especially if in a corrosive environment like salted roads.
Is there something that can be done to prevent that?

I cheaped out and went steel, they were having 15% off for the holidays.

Interesting comment I got from Matt at UCF when I was debating the Steel vs Aluminum, he said steel on aluminum can cause quicker corrosion effects (like a battery) if not maintained where the frame meets the skid, that many people put some type of layer like a piece of tape between the frame and aluminum skids. First I'd heard of that with all the aluminum people put on Jeeps... It is heavy but trying to keep a budget.

Will probably take me some time to get it all installed, don't really have the best garage set-up for a project like this.
I’ve never heard of that either with aluminum and steel against one another. The stock skid plate and frame is a bad area anyway, so I’m not sure this would really be any different. Just keep an eye on it and occasionally drop the skid and treat it.
Is there something that can be done to prevent that?
Fluid film and anodizing the Aluminum I suspect.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Well, I'm not sure if it's progress or not, but I was going to install my receiver hitch yesterday afternoon but I managed to twist off one of the bottom stock bumper bolts and the other is acting like it's going to twist off as well. So, I quit at that point to figure out my "what now?" options. The hitch has 4 mounting bolts, 2 on each side. I suspect that the bottom mounting points are going to end up being welded to the frame at this point. Guess I need to practice up on my welding as it's been a few months and I've never welded on anything from underneath. Should be "interesting".

I ran into that problem when I switched bumpers. One bolt was missing, and the other broken by the PO. I drilled out the broken bolt, using a small bit and going successfully bigger. Near the end, the remaining pieces of bolt threads came out completely. I retapped both bottom holes to the next larger size.

Reactions: Willys LJ
I installed the winch plate and the tow hooks on the front. temporarily actually. I have other work to finish up before I reinstall the front bumper so the winch plate and hooks are just in there to keep them off the floor or benchtop.

That is the one thing I am going to miss about my other Jeep, I had a way to put kayaks on. With the soft top, don't have that luxury. Guess I will have to wait till it warms up and just put the top down. LOL :D
Mines a soft top also. Extreme Terrain's Barricade rack and basket work great with my top.

Reactions: KimsJeep
Had a go at removing my doors...again !!! 3rd time now and still nothing... just turned spring down here...so I need to get it done.
Also replaced my highlights from stock to a LED side light and brighter white light halogen combo.... works well and cheap... massive difference.View attachment 6046

Mine have to be at close to a 30 degree angle to pull straight up. Anywhere else and they won’t budge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Mine have to be at close to a 30 degree angle to pull straight up. Anywhere else and they won’t budge

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi
Thanks Shane but that was a long long ..long time ago...doors have been off and on a few times since then ..

Had to pull the furniture rental guys out of my yard AFTER I ripped them a new one for pulling into my yard after we’ve had rain for weeks!!

They will be coming back to fix my yard [emoji849]

1d30b1df2a87104f70f25cad4496ea74.jpg
4cf1e903ecc779ffa8461eecb8e89bc3.jpg

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi