What did you do to your TJ today?

Thought about changing the oil but driving it sounded like a much better plan.

402A65DA-C0C7-4F2B-A055-9ADFECF5F92C.jpeg

Installed the grab handle on the passenger side after buying torx sockets at home depot. (Don't buy auto parts store tools).

Drove around with my wife today. Delivered a couple of tshirts she made for a friend. Went downtown to the farmer's market. I always get excited to go then i figure that everything is more expensive than the grocery store and once i roast the veggies nobody can tell if they're better. Mushrooms looked interesting but I'm the only one that eats them. Came home with some spicy italian gravy, some spices, and some cute baby carrots.
View attachment 97383
The greens weren't so happy after hanging out in the topless jeep.

Hit up the local surplus store. Got a hat to keep the sun off my bald noggin. With chin strap so it won't fly off running topless.
View attachment 97386
They didn't have a desert camo version this nice. It'll do.

Went to a late breakfast. Became extremely lazy after all that food. I'll work on the jeep tomorrow.
Gotta get one of those to protect my bald ass head!

Finally got got my kayak rack made!! Did a test fit with the kayak and did a few adjustments, now things are in the paint booth. LOL Will put it all back together tomorrow. :D

View attachment 97388

The reasoning for how we made it is so I can haul 2 kayaks when my friend wants to go. I'm eventually going to get some of the kayak holders to put on the rack. When going solo I will run like this. The rear is made so it will rotate around. I can't lift my kayak that high so I will stand it up, put the rear up on the back rack, then lift the front and rotate it around and set it on the front rack. We will be adding some stops to the rear rack to help keep the kayak from sliding when I am rotating it. I will share pics of all that tomorrow.
View attachment 97389View attachment 97390View attachment 97391
That looks pretty solid, What’s the length on that kayak?

Yesterday was a new valve cover gasket and all the rubber bits that touch it. It was my 1st invasive job on the new TJ, and it went better than expected. The old one leaked like crazy.

Changed the oil afterwards and realized the oil drain plug had no washer and there is a rather large dent in the oil pan. New oil pan goes on the to-do list I guess, but not today.

Seems like the PO did a lot of half-assing on this car. So many little things bandainded or "fixed"

Also, fixed the under hood light with a new LED bulb. I kind of wish it was on a switched circuit as it is pretty bright and not really necessary while I am working in the garage.

Last edited:
Ok, paint it dry and I got to take it for a test drive. Seemed to be up there pretty good. I think I can go kayaking now.

Made it so much easier for me to load. Just lay it down behind the Jeep, pick up the back, put it over the rack and between the 2 brackets, then go pick up the front and walk it around. :D
sOiIEvSTSc+t1s%ppAgcXg.jpg

zjtS8WbdR4Sa378rDOxT9Q.jpg

ZVTJU60JRYKulFZW9y9f%w.jpg
S8UTarVyTTuxTHF3v7qnpw.jpg
6uKirhKyS4GkJhpK51Yp%w.jpg

got lazy and took my son's jeep over to the oil place to swap out engine oil, front and rear differentials, with all synthetic. found out the brake lights weren't working.

so when I got home I started trouble shooting.

found a bad fuse, so I replaced it .. brake lights still don't work
so..rear blinkers work, both sides
turned on the head lights .. see that in the back as well
still no brake lights in back... but the 3rd brake light works fine?

go back verify the fuse is still good... it is
scratching my head ??
swap out the brake light switch, even though I am fairly sure that it is not it, because the 3rd brake light is working
made no difference.
I had replaced the blinker assembly about a year ago so I am fairly sure that still works, verify it does

at this point I figure its time to dig out the schematic and do some studying
walk around the back of the jeep and all 3 brake lights are on??? wtf?

remove the flash light I was using to hold the brakes down.. they go off
put the flash light back and all 3 light so back on....

So, near as I can tell, cycling the hazards fixed it, once I swapped out the fuse????

Installed the 4 frame nutserts I planned to install yesterday. The center ones are fine, I just didn't feel like removing the Savvy main bracket at this time. While I had the skid plate out, I stripped the old paint and gave 'er a fresh coat of rattle can. Also, adjusted the parking brake.

Ok, paint it dry and I got to take it for a test drive. Seemed to be up there pretty good. I think I can go kayaking now.

Made it so much easier for me to load. Just lay it down behind the Jeep, pick up the back, put it over the rack and between the 2 brackets, then go pick up the front and walk it around. :D
View attachment 97466

View attachment 97462

View attachment 97463View attachment 97464View attachment 97465
Great set up there...and love the easy install of the kayak itself....just make sure you empty out all the water before setting off ;)

Took a quick trip to Walmart for some GUNK and then went to the DIY car wash and soaked the dif covers and surrounding area down to get all the grease and grime off.