What did you do to your TJ today?

Almost halfway done taking the flares off for cleaning and painting. And no, my front tire is just fine just turned a bit.
View attachment 107517
Recently installed my new to me used flares on my TJ. PO had cut the flares. I bought some on CL, cleaned them up and painted them with Krylon Fusion. They were a pain to remove and install due to tight quarters. Removed the fender liners in the rear. But overall happy with the results.

IMG_0812_Flares.jpg

I put the rear of the Jeep on jack stands to fix a grinding sound on a trip from Idaho Falls to Missoula. Took the drums off the Ford Dana 60 and found that a spring had broke that holds the adjustable E-brake thing loose and bouncing around. My Jeep was being trailered from So.Cal. to Missoula behind my Moho until I lost a second trailer bearing just No. of Idaho Falls. I lost the first trailer bearing in Salt Lake City. It was the the trip from hell.
The Moho took a beating as well in a severe cross wind No. of Vegas and into AZ.

• Wow
Reactions: psrivats
Slowly changing interior lights to LED. Discovered that my footwell lights take an 1156 automotive bulb à la YJ style vs. a 906 like the sound bar. My guess is they were still using older stock 1156 sockets in 97/98 TJ’s before switching. The unused shifter light socket is a 906, however. So now I’ll need to order the correct LED’s at some point.
But hey, my sound bar light looks damn good. 😆

Reactions: Alex01
You have a lot more energy than I do lol. My Jeep hasn't been really clean in years. About the most I do once in awhile is throw out the old empty plastic water bottles. It's filthy. It embarasses my wife but not me. :D
A TJ doesn't look right clean. My wife had mine professionally cleaned once, I hated it until I found me a good mud hole to jump in🤪.

Reactions: TJ Starting
A TJ doesn't look right clean. My wife had mine professionally cleaned once, I hated it until I found me a good mud hole to jump in🤪.
Oh man. I can’t stand it when my Jeep is “too” dirty/muddy. Gets a full wash as soon as I get back from any off-roading. I don’t know why but a muddy undercarriage bothers me more than if the body is dirty🤷🏽‍♂️

Added a 1 piece wrap around cargo net from jeepcargonet.com , great net and happy to support a small American business out of Montana. Works perfect with the trektop. Also got the pet divider but won't install that until needed.
View attachment 107851
Those look really good , the angled spider web on the sides that are made look a little comic book to me .

Well, nursed my damaged kisser, and got up this morning and tore the transfer case apart. Swapped the new mainshaft in.

New blind bearing removal tool worked like it was supposed to. Had to dress the ends of the "arch" legs so they would sit perpendicular to the unit being worked on. Cheap chineasium quality. Oh well, it worked.

20190804_102144.jpg

Amazing what you find in places where you shouldn't find those types of things. This was inside the transfer case.

20190804_111902.jpg

Scrubbed the outside of the case halves with a brass brush and Dawn dish soap and water. Not as clean if i'd put them in the transmission dish washer (not so caustic hot tank) at work. It'd be nice if I could get it back together tomorrow evening and back in the Jeep before going to bed. We'll see.

Took a grinder to all the brackets on my "new" 8.8 and then smoothed it all down to prep it for the truss. Started pulling the rear axle since the 8.8 came along faster than I had planned.

20190803_170222.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
I replaced my upper O2 sensors. Only let it idle in the driveway a bit, haven't taken it out for a drive yet. Idled rough for a minute then cleaned up and seems to idle nice and smooth. I'm not sure if it is any different than it was before, I'll probably swap vehicles around tonight and drive it to work tomorrow.

I replaced the leaking seal between the transmission and transfer case which meant dropping my rusty skid plate (still didn't break off any of the skid plate frame bolts :D) got the TC, front and rear shafts off without much of an issue except the bolts that hold the TC to the trans are not too easy to remove. Old seal came out and new seal went in great (FYI if you don't have a seal driver with an open center to get around the shaft my Tervis cup fit the outside of the seal and worked perfectly). Installing a TC by yourself without a lift is a challenge, its heavier than I thought it would be. While I had everything off, I installed my deep trans pan and pickup tube extension since I have a 97 32rh which will run dry on inclines. The new trans pan has a drain plug which I used to install a trans temp sensor into the pan and ran the wire up to the interior. I plan to mount the gauge in front of the TC shifter and put in the B&M trans cooler in the grill this week. Then my trans should be ready for the dunes trip at the end of the month!