What did you do to your TJ today?

Reactions: TJ Starting
The short side made it in tact today, so I gave it some paint for being a good boy.
20190926_144418.jpg

Also put my ghetto-fied windows on so I could give it a proper bath after treating it like a red headed step child on the trail and dragging its sorry ass 400+ miles as toad. Nobody wants to see a clean TJ, so I didn't take a pic.

Here’s what I came up with for a tailgate lock. I used the bolt holes in the tire mount where the brake light unit was mounted. The steel angle overlaps the tonneau while the oak slat pushes against the tonneau springs. Might tweek it some more.
View attachment 117399View attachment 117400View attachment 117401
Looks like it should work as intended. only suggestion I would make if you don't mind would be replace that piece of oak with a piece of HPDE, or High Density Polyethylene. Think of the plastic cutting boards, pick you up a couple from wally world or maybe even dollar store. Cut you a strip same as wood you have there now smooth edges on HPDE same as wood sand it. Cuts with pretty much anything and bolt it on same way you got there. maybe throw a couple flat washers under the nuts. And cut you a piece to go up under the top part of your L. When you remount your bracket to tire carrier as you have it now mount it so top horizontal piece sits down snug onto tonneau cover which should keep it from rattling and also put sufficient down force to outer edges of tonneau helping it seal and not squeak. sort like hood latches holding hood down to keep rubber bumpers snug around bottom.

Just a suggestion :whistle: But it's looking good.

Tomorrow I’m driving out to the OBX Jeep Jam so I’ll see how it does. I’ve got a piece of split 1/4 in hose where the angle overlaps the DP but I hadn’t thought about using hpde. A good idea. I’ve done some work with poly on my hf mini mill a while ago, milling an insert to go inside of a Lewis Gun pan magazine. I was tinkering around with modding an AR .45 into a Lewis Gun semi auto configuration. I wound up having to rotate my poly insert 1/2 in from the image. Got side tracked I’m afraid. Seems to be my life.
F9381F3C-0648-40A8-B435-C658326C057A.png

B823D0F4-2FBD-4A45-866D-8B0967964EC7.png

Last edited:
Tomorrow I’m driving out to the OBX Jeep Jam so I’ll see how it does. I’ve got a piece of split 1/4 in hose where the angle overlaps the DP but I hadn’t thought about using hpde. A good idea. I’ve done some work with poly on my hf mini mill a while ago, milling an insert to go inside of a Lewis Gun pan magazine. I was tinkering around with modding an AR .45 into a Lewis Gun semi auto configuration. I wound up having to rotate my poly insert 1/2 in from the image. Got side tracked I’m afraid. Seems to be my life.
View attachment 117422

View attachment 117423
\
Well hell, you look like you got that handled. Looks like a nice little set-up you got going on there and you can just forget about what I said about sandpaper. Besides that was just a thought on something along the lines of the HPDE, telfon, a self lubricating plastic to keep the squeaks away as best as possible and keep parts to a minimum. Since you know the more you add the more you have to end up fixing or replacing sooner or later.

And with the lathe you could put a degree or 2 of bevel on the underside piece so as the gate closes tension increases on DP compressing your seal around edge if you end up using a foam/rubber seal from DP to tub/mounting flange when shut.

Diagnosed an EVAP issue, fuel pump
tank seal. Dropped the tank and replaced. Seems all good so far

View attachment 117463
Did you happen to separate the tank and skid and clean out the accumulated dirt and gravel from the skid? I had 16 yrs of crap in mine and since you have it out take a minute.
0826191712b.jpg

Serviced the rear diff and.. Well.. The picture speaks for itself:
20190925_180446.jpg

Not sure how long it's been like this, pretty interesting though. The ring gear looks fine. Now to figure out what to do.. Anyone is the Springs know of a good diff place?

Also, wasn't getting air out of the face vents. It would switch between feet alone and feet and defront, but no top vents. Hunted around for a split in the vacuum lines in the engine bay, but a glance inside showed the true culprit:

20190926_103757.jpg

Probably the easiest repair of my life. Doesn't quite counteract the diff though...

Serviced the rear diff and.. Well.. The picture speaks for itself:
View attachment 117471

Not sure how long it's been like this, pretty interesting though. The ring gear looks fine. Now to figure out what to do.. Anyone is the Springs know of a good diff place?

Also, wasn't getting air out of the face vents. It would switch between feet alone and feet and defront, but no top vents. Hunted around for a split in the vacuum lines in the engine bay, but a glance inside showed the true culprit:

View attachment 117472

Probably the easiest repair of my life. Doesn't quite counteract the diff though...
I feel your pain, I was looking for my driveline vibration and found bad pinion bearings on my front differential last night.

• Wow
Reactions: Nordic
Replaced the original shocks and springs on my 97 with 173000 miles last night. Went with Rancho stock height shocks and Moog springs. Ride is a lot better but now may have to adjust the tire pressure because I am feeling every little bump in the road. Great improvement in steering response and I gained about a inch of clearance front and rear. Now Jeep feels like I am driving a vehicle instead of a ATV. The only issue is now that the suspension is tighter I am hearing more rattles in the dash and body.
The Moog 3229 spring in the rear was a half inch shorter then the OEM spring that came out of the Jeep, but was much stronger. After new rear spring was installed the rear end was a inch taller.

Did you happen to separate the tank and skid and clean out the accumulated dirt and gravel from the skid? I had 16 yrs of crap in mine and since you have it out take a minute.View attachment 117465

By the looks of that Savvy aluminum?? skid I doubt very seriously if there is any rocks or dirt built up in in there. Maybe 19 gallons of gas and $3-400. :whistle:

Got a couple freebies today from a buddy of mine.

Not sure if this one will stay on or not, but it might come in handy.
72166316_789410468180318_3665439005823991808_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is meant to go on the sun visor but I extended the velcro straps and put it on the glovebox. I left enough slack to still be able to get at the handle.
71657315_374645110078826_919443470328791040_n.jpg

He also gave me this one that I think I'll try to rig up on the rear bench seat.
71262377_396252894396125_8161301717762179072_n.jpg

New hook on the winch cable. Also relocated the spare to a position closer to the tailgate. As luck would have itl now the tire rests with about an inch of the tire on the top of the bumper so the extended rubber stabilizers will not be needed.