What did you do to your TJ today?

Finished up an install of a Uniden 520XL on an Arizona Rocky Road mount and a 2 foot Firestik II on a Terra Flex drivers side tail light mount with a Firestik Firering FME coax cable. Drilled an extra hole in the ARR mount for the FME coax. Wish I had drilled a slightly bigger hole as it took some work to get the coax end angled through the hole. Ran the coax towards the drivers side under the roll bar padding, down the roll bar, followed the wire harness along the tub, through the grommet at the end of the tub. I coiled up the extra coax and zip tied it in the fender where the tail light wiring is. Cleared paint from the bottom of the Terra Flex mount where the Fire Ring goes and from the area of the mount where the fourth bolt at the top where it goes through the tub and from inside the tub where the washer and nut goes. Hopefully that gets a good ground for it. Ran the power and ground wire down the drivers side A pillar, through the grommet where the clutch pedal piston would be and straight to the battery. 5 amp fuse holder close to the battery. I have little attachments on the terminals that makes adding a ring connector easy. I put bullet connectors on the wiring between the radio and the hole in the ARR mount in case I need to remove the radio. Pulled the bottom cover of the radio off to check for clearance and mounted the mike clip to the bottom cover.

One thing I noticed using the ARR radio mount is the coax on the back of the radio hits the plastic trim above the rearview mirror. It causes the radio to have to be pointed way up or way down to not interfere with it. (in the pic, that coax isn't connected) I've ordered a 90* coax adapter to see if that works without affecting SWR too much. If that doesn't work I'll consider a bracket that lowers the radio, or some type of spacer between the ARR mount and bracket or drilling/tapping new holes in the side of the radio.

I got SWR of 1.5. Was hoping to get under that, but will work on it some more later. I had to stop for the day due to other obligations. The NASCAR race was coming on, that was the obligation. LOL

Thanks @Jerry Bransford for helping and answering questions for me through Private Messages a few weeks ago. I may still use a grounding strap like you mentioned.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
5.JPG

Man I sometimes think I'm getting too old to be doing anything more than driving my TJ lol. Today I ended up welding my upper rear passenger-side control arm bracket back onto the axle tube. It tore completely away from the axle tube at some point on the Rubicon Trail I recently completed, I sure don't recall anything specific that would have caused it. Other than the factory only welded it on two sides, I welded it back into place on three sides so it's not likely coming off again. Mrblaine just don't look too closely at my welds next time you see my Jeep lol, though they're not too bad and they look up to the job. Getting things tore down enough so I could weld all sides of that stupid bracket wasn't too bad but now I'm taking a break getting everything put back together. Getting that right-rear spring back in will have to wait until tomorrow or later in the week.

At 72 I figure I'm gonna have to start paying to have more of this shit done before too many more years go by lol. P.S. Blaine the bracket wasn't noticeably bent like I expected it to be so I decided not to replace it.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Hubby put the tabs on the brush guard for the light bar, and then I prepped and painted it. Once it was dry enough to handle I put it on the jeep and got everything hooked back up and working again. :D I had to move the smaller square lights to the outside holes on the bumper as the guard covered up the holes they were in. Other then that, it all went pretty smoothly. :D

iCO+I49ESwy2hrOoGjn%tw.jpg

XzZPCrstT7egyab6ErRbCA.jpg
3YZKSJFrTAuZdICwhqXXcQ.jpg
Ou3iLwycQheUqkksgS6NIQ.jpg
IJTe5rbAQduNx1vHFrYiYw.jpg

The hitch in the front definitely sticks out further now. Should have no problem putting the winch on now.

O7VJ3yWPT76z3MqalAwSrw.jpg

Before and after.
IMG_3212.JPG

Hubby put the tabs on the brush guard for the light bar, and then I prepped and painted it. Once it was dry enough to handle I put it on the jeep and got everything hooked back up and working again. :D I had to move the smaller square lights to the outside holes on the bumper as the guard covered up the holes they were in. Other then that, it all went pretty smoothly. :D

View attachment 122005
View attachment 122006View attachment 122007View attachment 122008View attachment 122009

The hitch in the front definitely sticks out further now. Should have no problem putting the winch on now.

View attachment 122010

Before and after.
View attachment 122011
What a purdy tj. Now, when are you going to have hubby teach you to weld?

Cleaned up and primed and painted the rock guards. Broke a couple bolts in the process but no biggie. The wire brush in the grinder cleaned up most of the rusted areas. Primed with a self etching primer, and painted two coats of black satin automotive trim paint. Cleaned up the plastic gasket and applied fluid film to the inside of the rock rails and to both sides of the gasket. Re-installed and they look much better.

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

Finished the battle of the door hinge bushings and got the doors back on it. After cleaning up the hinge pins, I'm wondering how I ever managed to get the doors off back in the spring. The new bushings wouldn't even slide up on the pins.

When I took them off, I had to remove the pin nuts and twisted one off. So, I cut the threads off of the same pin on the other side to make them match (and make the door easier to put back on).

Also put the main part of the top back on. I'm going to wait until the sun comes out to put the sides and rear window back on. I'm hoping the sun warming them up will make them easier to put back on.

Pulled the LH front axle to begin changing out u-joints and knuckle ball joints. The damn u-joint fought me tooth and nail. The clips were rusted in place and when I did get one out on either yoke, no amount of persuasion with a press would budge those joints from the yokes. So they got the melt wrench treatment. The more I looked at the shaft, the less I liked the rust, scale and wastage on the yokes and just inboard of the dust shield even thought the splines looked fine, and when I installed the new joint was unhappy with how it seated.
Wasn’t in the budget, but pulled the trigger on new axles and hubs, even though the hubs seem okay. Do it all at once, and do it right. Should have the new axles and hubs in a few days.

What a purdy tj. Now, when are you going to have hubby teach you to weld?

I really don't need him to teach me, I just need to go out and start practicing. I did it when I was in high school but that was just a fewwww years ago. LOL I just need to make time to go play with the welder.

Hubby got me a welder and a helmet and I just need to go put the cart that holds the welder together. Then I should be set to practice. :D

A week ago, I put in a used passenger seatbelt. Now my wife doesn't have to futz around with slowly pulling the belt out 2 inches, let it relax 1/2 inch, pulling it out 2 inches, letting it relax.....ungh.

New speedo gear , so it is now within 1mph at highway velocities.

Yesterday I replaced bank 2 sensor 2 connector after a successful pick n pull treasure hunt for the correct pigtail. Didn't fix any of my problems, but have a better handle on the condition of some of the wiring on this ride.

Bought the Jeep the first if the year, but just changed the oil for the first time yesterday.

Tentatively diagnosed the leaky rear main seal as really being the torque converter seal. We'll keep an eye on it.

Today, friend/coworker had a fall cookout, so we superslabbed it 40 miles down to his farm. 60 degrees and sunny. Found a little mud on a quick jaunt to other parts of his property. Quick photo opportunity before heading home:

20191027_153706.jpg

Drilled spring perches for bumpstops. Broke drill bit off. Luckily could reach in the hole with the mig and built up enough to weld a nut and back it out. Waste of an hour!

Got the Currie 4" springs in the front to replace the PO 2" spring plus spacer.

Next up set final pinion angle. Then ball joints, axle ujoints, new front drive shaft.

Here's one that not everyone will like.

Since I'm deciding to run my soft top this winter I gave it a little extra insulating with one of my wool blankets I usually use for camping.

Just ran it over the roll bar and secured it with some velcro strips and used the tie straps for the rear window to hold up the extra in the rear. I know it's not much but every little bit will help. Should also cut down some of the noise from the soft top too so that's a plus (y) And technically it's an added blanket should I get stranded anywhere.

Plus, pretty flowers.
73415930_501003394082758_3382263234949021696_n.jpg

Also on my quest to cut down on annoying noises.
This piece was rattling juuuuust enough to drive me insane, so I cut a couple small pieces of foam and slid them inside to quiet it up.
73323541_415293925836431_8679186735420145664_n.jpg

Grabars installed with grommets. I think it turned out pretty good. Plus, these things are rock solid steel. I don't love the price, but I love their construction and fitment. By the way, I ignorned measuring (especially their instructions which seemed way off) and eyeballed the location.

20191028_202116_HDR.jpg

20191028_205933.jpg

20191028_210258_HDR.jpg

20191028_212515.jpg