What did you do to your TJ today?

Finally got a friend with a welding truck to come out and do a little welding in my rear LCA/Track bar mount. Also had to tack one of the bolts that support the front of the fuel tank skid in place. (the square part of the bolt wore out enough it wouldn't hold the bolt from spinning any more:cautious:)

View attachment 129047View attachment 129048
Now I get to put it all back together after a little clean up and flat black Rust-Oleum paint gets applied. More pics to come later.
It's fortunate to have a buddy with a welder. Cool thing is I get to be that buddy.

It's fortunate to have a buddy with a welder. Cool thing is I get to be that buddy.
Yes it is!! The only issue is this time of year he is at his cabin most of the time so I have to catch him when he comes to town!!!. One day..... 🤔 🤞 One day I'll get 240 to the shop and finally get a welder than can tackle more jobs than the 110 wire feed I already have.

Yes it is!! The only issue is this time of year he is at his cabin most of the time so I have to catch him when he comes to town!!!. One day..... 🤔 🤞 One day I'll get 240 to the shop and finally get a welder than can tackle more jobs than the 110 wire feed I already have.
We went thru your town this past Sept and camped overnight about 1/2hr away on our way home from a road trip. The couple next to us was there for the Braum Bros. reunion concert, sounds like something we need to make. The Salmon River is awesome, love your area,,,gregg

Reactions: reddvltj
We went thru your town this past Sept and camped overnight about 1/2hr away on our way home from a road trip. The couple next to us was there for the Braum Bros. reunion concert, sounds like something we need to make. The Salmon River is awesome, love your area,,,gregg
BBR is definitely a huge deal for Challis, our little town of less than 1000 people shoots up to over 3000 easily. If you want to come up for the show you better buy tickets early and if you want to use a camp ground or get a hotel make reservations ASAP.

https://braunbrothersreunion.com/

Finished up beadlocks, welded, painted, tires mounted and bolted up. Looks good with the Xenon flares I put on yesterday.

9A9E0F77-F388-40EA-8231-18BCA8243A84.jpeg

Got all the bare metal cleaned up and gave it a quick coat of paint. Put the newly rebuilt fuel pump assembly back in the tank. New tank vent hoses and a new axle breather hose installed then got the fuel tank and brand new skid back in. Every thing is wright in my world!!! (for the moment 😂)
1576212410202.png

1576212464217.png

1576212285586.png

Finally got around to getting my rear axle and truss all welded up last night. Life's been busy and a few other hang ups on the project that took longer to iron out than planned. But not I gotta paint it, finish rebuilding it, and start to dial-in where it's going to live. Once that's all set (hoping by end of the weekend that will be taken care of) then I'll be making a call to Adam's Driveshafts and fingers crossed I can get my DS built and shipped to me by Christmas! And for the record, I did not do any of this welding, all the credit goes to a friend of my dad's.

20191212_195207.jpg

20191212_200423.jpg

20191212_200454.jpg

Also a shoutout to Barnes for making a stellar truss kit! Everything was super easy and straight forward.

Replaced the radiator, radiator cap, water pump, heater hose pipe, thermostat housing, thermostat, coolant temp sensor radiator and heater hoses and put the constant tension hose clamps back on. I used all MOPAR parts. Wednesday I drained the radiator and refilled with distilled water and Prestone Flush. Drove it almost 3 hours worth between Wednesday and Friday night. Drained and refilled with distilled water 3 times today until everything coming out of the block and radiator were clear. I used the nipple on the thermostat housing for the heater hose to fill the block with distilled water during the flushes and 50/50 Zerex G05 and distilled water for the final fill. Each time I used a long small neck funnel to pour the water and/or coolant in and had no problems with air in the system or burping problems. I ordered a new overflow tank, but it won't be here until Tuesday.

I also changed out my leaky windshield washer tank.
Is there a DIY for that

Installed UCF engine skid...now I have most of the belly protected. Don't like the button head bolts that it came with. I am going to counter sink the holes and get some flat heads similar to the Savvy skid.

View attachment 128126

View attachment 128127

View attachment 128128

View attachment 128129

View attachment 128130

View attachment 128131

View attachment 128132

View attachment 128133

View attachment 128134
All I saw was the dog. It looked like it was wanting out of that thing lol.

Is there a DIY for that

Yeah, I basically followed the link @taylormade73 posted.

I couple things I did that I don’t remember if they were in the link was used Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant on the threads of the temp sensor and the metal pipe that goes into the water pump. I used a Dorman brand pipe and remember reading somewhere that someone had problems with the thread sealant that comes on it so I followed what they did; took a wire wheel to the threads to remove what came on it and then used the Permatex instead.

I replaced the heater core in 2018 so I just flushed it real well in both directions by leaving the existing heater hoses attached to it and spraying a water hose in both directions 2 or 3 times. Then I poured a gallon of distilled water into one of the hoses to flush the tap water out. Then poured some 50/50 mix into it.

F7769597-C4F4-4E1C-9119-82BABE9C0F2E.jpeg

Changed oil and filter. Made the change from mobil full synthetic high mileage oil to a Mobil blended synthetic. $15 for 6 quarts I figured I’d try it out. Also going to mopar oil filters instead of whatever is on sale at Advanced Auto.

Had the 2nd Craiglist luck out of the year!

I picked up a unused OEM factory top with everything minus the windows for only $50 this morning. Even came with the factory storage boot!

I thought it must aftermarket top and just went to see it since the seller was close. I could not believe my eyes when I saw it was an OEM top.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/d/sherwood-2005-jeep-soft-top/7033267027.html

The top is literally unused. I've been wanting to replace mine since the fabric is pretty ratty looking and was going to get a new bestop next year but I'm giddy with this Craigslist find.

Screenshot_20191215-132245.png

Last edited:
Had the 2nd Craiglist luck out of the year!

I picked up a unused factory top with everything minus the windows for only $50 this morning. Even came with the factory storage boot!

I thought it was a aftermarket and went to see it and could not believe my eyes when I saw it was an OEM top.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/d/sherwood-2005-jeep-soft-top/7033267027.html

The top is literally unused. Over been wanting to replace mine and was going to get a new bestop next year but I'm giddy with this Craigslist find.

View attachment 129420
Wow that’s a helluva deal. Pretty much free lol. What was the first Craigslist score?

Reactions: psrivats