What did you do to your TJ today?

Started to take the milk jugs off the front bumper after soaking the torx bolts for a week in pb blaster and broke the torx socket on the firts one. Guess ill get the grinder out.
Every once and a while I think of how nice it would be to live somewhere north where it snows often... then I hear about all the trouble y'all have with road salt, rust, short summers, and cold weather and I forget it :)

Replaced the drivers side upper control arm bushing in the front axle with a Currie joint, removal of the stock bushing was a pain in the ass. 2 hrs total start to finish the drivers side now on to the passenger side, should go a bit quicker even with the cutting and welding required.

Piddled around w/ the BMW seat install a bit, thread here: BMW seats

Oh, and my kid realized his passenger upper rear control arm bracket separated from the frame, looks like I'm welding tomorrow.
You know... they should put a hazard notice on kids much like the ones on cigarettes!
The surgion General has found Children to be a hazard to your Jeep...
Consider a hobby including thing that get broke all the damn time on purpose
to avoid having thoughts of making them stay away from your Jeep or sending them
to your parents house permanently!

Me?
My kid is 35 and is jealous of my Jeep and live in freaking gorgeous Northern California!
Bastard... Damn I miss that brat...

@AndyG
Can you explain? Is there a issue with the bulb AndyG linked? Are you saying the one you linked is better?

I found a similar listing to the one Andyg posted a picture of, they claim 1400 lumens out of 144 leds and it doesn't state which type of SMDs (surface mount diode?) it uses, but they are shaped like the SMD 3014 in the comparison paged I linked. SMD 3014 is rated at 13 lumen, so 144 times 13 = 1872 lumen.

The product I linked claims 3400 lumens and does state the type of led it uses is 36ea 3030 SMD. A 3030 SMD is rated at 125 lumen. 36 times 125 = 4500 lumen.

So, the math doesn't check out perfectly. Lumens are generally overstated. It is good to know which LED the bulb you are buying uses. The product I linked costs $3 more but comes with 4 bulbs instead of two and should be twice as bright. I left my Jeep in reverse last weekend in the daylight after pulling it out of the sand, and I was able to tell that the reverse lights are pretty bright even then. They are brighter at night, but it is hard to quantify how much difference it makes. It is noticeable.

The other figures like current or wattage probably aren't important since reverse lights aren't left on long enough to create heat or draw too much power from the battery if the vehicle wasn't running.

Reactions: Ephry73 and TDB55
No milk jugs now. Why would anybody drive around with them for 19 years?
20200228_162122.jpg

20200228_162122.jpg

@AndyG

I found a similar listing to the one Andyg posted a picture of, they claim 1400 lumens out of 144 leds and it doesn't state which type of SMDs (surface mount diode?) it uses, but they are shaped like the SMD 3014 in the comparison paged I linked. SMD 3014 is rated at 13 lumen, so 144 times 13 = 1872 lumen.

The product I linked claims 3400 lumens and does state the type of led it uses is 36ea 3030 SMD. A 3030 SMD is rated at 125 lumen. 36 times 125 = 4500 lumen.

So, the math doesn't check out perfectly. Lumens are generally overstated. It is good to know which LED the bulb you are buying uses. The product I linked costs $3 more but comes with 4 bulbs instead of two and should be twice as bright. I left my Jeep in reverse last weekend in the daylight after pulling it out of the sand, and I was able to tell that the reverse lights are pretty bright even then. They are brighter at night, but it is hard to quantify how much difference it makes. It is noticeable.

The other figures like current or wattage probably aren't important since reverse lights aren't left on long enough to create heat or draw too much power from the battery if the vehicle wasn't running.
I’m still wondering ...are there certain leds to avoid

Reactions: TDB55
Not much activity on this thread. Everyone's LJ must be completely modded and not need any maintenance or repairs. Just proves the LJ is the better choice since it needs nothing lol.

Reactions: zebra12
My LJ is hiding from salt. I'm hiding from a non-heated garage. My Jeep focus has been on sorting through parts I recently acquired deciding what to keep for the LJ, to hang on to for a TJ I have yet to buy for my son, and which to part with immediately.

Reactions: Apparition
My LJ is hiding from salt. I'm hiding from a non-heated garage. My Jeep focus has been on sorting through parts I recently acquired deciding what to keep for the LJ, to hang on to for a TJ I have yet to buy for my son, and which to part with immediately.
Mines parked for the winter and the garage is too cold to work on it. :(
I feel you lol. My daughter bought me a heater for Xmas. So I've been busy. I stay out of the salt as well so test drives are limited. Got my Savvy skid today. Itching to switch out my UCF for it but leaving for Florida Monday morning so it'll have to wait till I return. My RJ 60 too.

20200229_174145_HDR~2.jpg

20200203_115226.jpg

Reactions: Apparition