What did you do to your TJ today?

Interesting. So the ranchos 5000x that I bought for 2-3” lifts are most likely too long for my 2” BDS lift? I’ve been running these shocks for over a year now.
The 2.5s are pretty good since they come close to the stock compressed length. While I had the 3.5 set for my 4 inch lift the 2.5 actually fit better.

Are you running the 2-3” lift up fronts or the Longer ones with the MC fenders?
I run 11" fox smooth body shocks up front. Previously, I was running rancho 3.5 but bought a set of 2.5 to test fit. The 2.5 actually did better with uptravel since I could reduce bumps but lost an inch or so of downtravel.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Interesting. So the ranchos 5000x that I bought for 2-3” lifts are most likely too long for my 2” BDS lift? I’ve been running these shocks for over a year now.
The 2.5s are pretty good since they come close to the stock compressed length. While I had the 3.5 set for my 4 inch lift the 2.5 actually fit better.

Thanks Alex!! More great information! I was looking at the 2.5"-4" for my rig. The lift was on it when I bought the Jeep and the guy said it's a RC 3.75" lift. So far all the parts I purchased to fix the suspension geometry (track bars and upper control arms) that should fit for my lift have come out long even collapsed all the way down. Do you know a good way to check how much lift I actually have?
(I'm sure I can look it up, but gives us something to talk about 🤙🏻)
Stock coil length is 12" in the front and 8" in the rear. Anything above that is lift.

I bought the ranchos for the 3.5” lift since that is what I have. I was hesitant to get the ones for the 2-3” lift but it may not have been a bad idea. I was only going to get one set so I sorta went with my gut there. If I had the two side by side, I may have made a different choice.

as for ride quality, I went from driving a mini truck to an 18 wheeler. It appears some of this is due to 35” tires.

Brake day!

BMB pads and fresh rotors
CFD706A8-34CB-4770-9694-F843892E3CBA.jpeg

YJ brake lines -
81966D06-3D7A-43B5-92AC-D9F1D1A06A61.jpeg

1 broken hard brake line 😡. Luckily it was the driver front, a 20”o’reilys domestic and loaner bender replacement got it fixed.
915B0474-10AC-45C4-A03B-D7BF6E98FB8B.jpeg

bleeding the system and breaking in the pads will happen tomorrow

Last edited:
Put the Ranchos on. :D Not sure how I'm going to like them. They actually work like they are supposed to. LOL I didn't realize my old ones were shot. If I'm correct they are supposed to come back out once compressed, right? LOL

0EE4E8A6-2976-4200-9269-DF3B3DBC44E2.jpeg

How's this for a lift? LOL

611206F3-B3EA-48DB-B7FC-E06795A6CCC6.jpeg

E16C966F-2B2B-4912-BE30-9CA2E02C9E4F.jpeg

I left the boot on the back ones. I figured they were pretty much like the metal shocks as far as they are open at the end, so figured it wouldn't hurt to leave them on. I didn't put the ones on the fronts as you can see in the pic above.
7D9C7948-0A15-4132-AB01-868202FC015E.jpeg

Had to stop and go buy a new lug post.

694EE8E2-1C34-457D-8F35-0469BB3D152C.jpeg

I also blacked out the white body that you could see now that the BL was on. Looks much better. :D

A0BBBF17-5F1F-40E1-ABCA-738452E490CD.jpeg

Got to add another sticker on the tail gate too. :D Each shock came with one. :D
CA66F953-8B14-4019-AD05-607951129237.jpeg

Nice, I like it.
errrr, why didn't you changed the calipers and be done with it?
Probably should have, but the YJ lines were already a non essential add based on my current lift.

I did the same thing when I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and hoses but left the radiator in place 🤦‍♂️

Put the Ranchos on. :D Not sure how I'm going to like them. They actually work like they are supposed to. LOL I didn't realize my old ones were shot. If I'm correct they are supposed to come back out once compressed, right? LOL

View attachment 147626

How's this for a lift? LOL

View attachment 147625

View attachment 147631

I left the boot on the back ones. I figured they were pretty much like the metal shocks as far as they are open at the end, so figured it wouldn't hurt to leave them on. I didn't put the ones on the fronts as you can see in the pic above.
View attachment 147628

Had to stop and go buy a new lug post.

View attachment 147627

I also blacked out the white body that you could see now that the BL was on. Looks much better. :D

View attachment 147630

Got to add another sticker on the tail gate too. :D Each shock came with one. :DView attachment 147629

Nice work!! The oil on the shocks is a pretty good indicator they're dead as well. I just ordered the Rancho shocks today, I cant wait!

Reactions: Alex01 and KimsJeep
Nice work!! The oil on the shocks is a pretty good indicator they're dead as well. I just ordered the Rancho shocks today, I cant wait!

Yah, the oil on the one shock was the reason I got new ones. Hubby saw it back when I was installing the BL and said I needed new shocks. Well, you don't have to tell me twice. I ordered the Ranchos the next day. :D

Yah, the oil on the one shock was the reason I got new ones. Hubby saw it back when I was installing the BL and said I needed new shocks. Well, you don't have to tell me twice. I ordered the Ranchos the next day. :D
Hahaha 🤣 I always enjoy rolling a repair into an upgrade.

Reactions: KimsJeep