What did you do to your TJ today?

Yelled at it and then myself :LOL:

Sunday:
Completed cooling system overhaul excluding radiator.

Today:
View attachment 157002

Oh no! I feel your pain! A few months ago I replaced my thermostat, only to then break my thermostat housing 🤬 After 3 trips to the auto parts store (because of course I forgot to buy more coolant when I bought the replacement housing on the first trip, and then I needed a new gasket because the one I was originally going to use completely fell apart) I finally got everything put back together. What should have been a 10-minute job took 3 hours 😡😡

Was that the original Mopar radiator?

Oh no! I feel your pain! A few months ago I replaced my thermostat, only to then break my thermostat housing 🤬 After 3 trips to the auto parts store (because of course I forgot to buy more coolant when I bought the replacement housing on the first trip, and then I needed a new gasket because the one I was originally going to use completely fell apart) I finally got everything put back together. What should have been a 10-minute job took 3 hours 😡😡

Was that the original Mopar radiator?

It was. 16 years aint bad. Can't believe it happened so quickly after I finished the other job. I have to wonder if I finally did it in leaning on that plastic as I worked. My chest was sore so I know I was leaning hard ha

Reactions: Blondie70
Replaced my front Rugged Ridge grab handles with a set from GraBars. Ooh boy these things are beefy and super sturdy!

6DF20C99-ACC8-4F0F-ADF0-9BD0E5B7A4E7.jpeg

B0A3A173-7AF8-4BCD-A375-6549EE4AE3B3.jpeg

I also installed the Rugged Ridge multi-mount kit, so I will (hopefully) no longer hear my phone slide into the passenger foot well from on top of the passenger seat.

A96C679C-F95D-4E89-AC7C-06E526A0DDE2.jpeg

Last edited:
It was. 16 years aint bad. Can't believe it happened so quickly after I finished the other job. I have to wonder if I finally did it in leaning on that plastic as I worked. My chest was sore so I know I was leaning hard ha

Hahaha no, 16 years isn’t too bad at all! Are the factory radiators still available to buy, or will you have to go with another brand?

Replaced both upstream O2 sensors. I've been getting intermittent O2 codes and rough idle. I got a cheap bluetooth scan tool and noticed the bank 1 fuel trim going way negative while playing with the graphing. It was an immediate improvement after replacing them. They were OE but only had 33,000 miles on them.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Rear caliper on the jeep seized up this morning on the way to napa to pick up a battery for the Harley. Always something lol. At least I didn't need to make a second trip.
20200429_103809.jpg
20200429_110451.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
It's not what I did to my TJ today as much as what I did for my TJ today.
As OEM parts become harder to find; I ordered a spare Mopar OEM IAT sensor, TPS and IAC solenoid for the Jeep.
The other day I ordered the Mopar OEM Crank Position sensor and Cam Position sensor.

Today I also ordered the OEM Mopar oil pressure and coolant temperature sensors for spares....

i love the lock on it.
around here, you cant hardly give jeep take offs away. Lmao
Congrats on your TJ!
Dunno about here - but I was raised to lock EVERYTHING. Then you don't have to worry about some stupid kid doing stupid stuff to your stuff. The refusal of American car companies to put locking gas flaps/caps on their cars drives me nuts! That's another retrofit this Jeep is getting, along with a hood lock.

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
Dunno about here - but I was raised to lock EVERYTHING. Then you don't have to worry about some stupid kid doing stupid stuff to your stuff. The refusal of American car companies to put locking gas flaps/caps on their cars drives me nuts! That's another retrofit this Jeep is getting, along with a hood lock.
"if it gets stolen its YOUR fault!"
IMG_20200429_110936.jpg

I didn't want to fool with a complicated kill switch system for starting the TJ. So removable steering wheel, check.

Those doors look amazing. Also, what mirrors are those?

sorry just saw this today. Haven’t been on the site in a while lol they’re EAG doors. They have several styles available, some are better than others. I would check them out on eBay. They usually have some good sales on them. And the mirrors come with the doors! It’s a steal. The door first rattled a bit but after putting some weather strip it seals like a perfect fit. They draw lots of stares on the road haha

Reactions: dlm1450
I discovered the downside of having a mechanic shop do installs. I recently bought a Classic Tube preformed brake lines kit because my rear brake lines were looking pretty rough. I had also bought the BMB rear drum brake kit, Centric wheel cylinders, and a Crown Performance extended brake lines kit in order to finish refreshing the braking system (I had previously bought the BMB front brake kit with the new callipers/pads/and rotors). My plan was to do all of the work myself. I installed the fronts myself (which was an absolute pain), but the rear drum brake wheel cylinder brake bleeders were super rusted and the cylinder bolts were so frozen that I ended up taking the Jeep to a nearby shop for the rear install. I also had them install the rear drum brake hardware, since they would have to access them to replace the wheel cylinders.

1 day and $712 dollars later I picked up my jeep and went on my way. Then I had to bring it back because the parking brake was not properly adjusted. Could have done it myself, but if I’m paying for a service I expect it to be done properly. A few days later I was investigating a small oil leak and I decided to check all of the engine fluid levels, and thank goodness I did, because the master cylinder was half-empty! 🤬🤬 I bought brake fluid, and vowed never to use that shop again. Well, last night I rechecked the work they did, and everything looked good except that they didn’t tighten the rear brake line, so it had a slight leak (which could have been the reason the master cylinder was so low, but either way, they messed up).

Also, in the course of checking their work I discovered that they overtorqued my wheel locks 😡 Why do some shops insist on using impact guns on lug nuts/wheel locks?! Luckily I didn’t have to change a flat, but cmon man! I got the first wheel lock loosened and re-torqued, but the key broke while trying to loosen the second one 🤬🤬🤬 I removed the 3 remaining wheel locks with a 12-point socket, a hammer, and a breaker bar, and then ordered a new key, which should (hopefully) be arriving soon.

317E7FFC-8146-4709-B5E6-FEFF58950B2F.jpeg
82BF6694-D5EE-4B20-9E7A-DF87D93E3632.jpeg
D4565C60-0B9F-4030-9F62-B06F6E6B9C3C.jpeg

FB67EDE7-FCFA-4B20-ACF1-7AB27F296EA4.jpeg

I’ll also be repainting the frame and axles soon. I’m pretty sure this Jeep spent its entire life in the Northeast.