What did you do to your TJ today?

Installed a LED hood light. Gonna be handy I'm sure.
20200429_204119.jpg
20200429_204329.jpg

Tried figuring out that damned under hood light... tested for power and got a new bulb to light up and stay on long enough that I burned my finger on the bulb when it decided to turn off and wouldn't turn back on. Gave up for the day... I'll check fuses tomorrow.

(I know there are some nice mods... maybe some day. For now, I'm just trying to figure out the electrical situation the PO left me.)
You could get the GM retractable light from eBay. NOS for $16.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=283864562024
Or a new stock light from Amazon for $15.90
Genuine Chrysler 56021441AC Undeood Lamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014AMAHR4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Got the new motor for my winch today and installed it and spooled up the wire cable.

I ordered it from Summit as they had the best price and shipping time. However whoever boxed it was a moron; a 16lb box put in another box that could have fit at least two motors in it buffered(?) with maybe half the amount of plastic pillows that he should have used. If it wasn't for the proper packaging of the original motor box it would have been beat to shit. Rant off.

Old and new motor
1EFCA355-7DDE-41F1-A11D-95A9D5733804.jpeg

Not a bumper ornament anymore!
BD3E8F57-0835-4CC4-9616-0777EE57BEE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Calibrated my speedometer. It’s not perfect but within a mile or 2 vs waze. I went with the one for 35” tires knowing I’ll have to buy another when I eventually downgrade to 33s. That gets out further and further out as I remedy my suspension issues.

turns out my control arms are Rough Country for lifted Jeeps. The bushings are bad and they do not offer replacements. Part of me wants to try OEM bushings. I see now why people cheap out...there a “solution “ for $ and the right thing for $$$...Its hard to go $$$ at every turn.

Reactions: matkal
Nothing too glamorous today. Thanks to reading this forum, I discovered I've been putting the wrong gear oil in my AX-15. Went and picked up some Pennzoil Synchromesh, drained and changed to that now. While I was under there, I went ahead and pulled the rear diff. cover and inspected my repair job from 2016 and gave it some fresh 75-140. I replaced the all the bearings and seals in 2016 and it has about 40,000 mile on the rebuild.

jeepforum5201.jpg

I also rediscovered that I have 3.73's instead of 3.07's. I had forgotten and was pleasantly surprised. I've got 235/75-15's on it now and plan on 31's in the near future.

jeepforum6101.jpg

Figured it was time to give it a look. I fully expectd it to fail before now. When I tore into it back then, it looked like it had been worked on before. Different sealant on the cover gasket area and bearing caps stamped. It only had about 60,000 miles on it at the time. When you find roller bearings laying in the housing, you know you better crack a beer and order parts. So,if I can get a few more thousand miles out of it before I pull the trigger on a Super 35 kit and locker, I'll be happy.

After I buttoned everything up, I slapped my new Polk Audio 4x6's and 5 1/2's in their places and took her out for a test drive. I immediately noticed it shifting smoother and overall it just seemed a little smoother. Although, a major annoyance was recently fixed too, That damn rattling catalytic converter above the skid plate. I lived with that for a year and finally had enough and replaced it and the muffler. She is quiet and smooth and I can hear my tunes so much better.

jeepforum5301.jpg

Transfer case ATF change. Old was probably original (127K), new much redder. Extracted a rather large and oddly shaped rock wedged between the skid and the bottom of the case. Installed one of those aftermarket trays on top of the dash, this one might actually hold something, put a tiny bit of caulk where I "think" my rain leak may be coming from, and lastly temporarily removed the front bumper to inspect things (all OK), and paint the stock tow hooks "Rubicon Red" because I can!