What did you do to your TJ today?

Took it to a shop to get my new Falkens on (32x11.5r15). The Goodyear mud terrains that were on before from the PO were super old. I've been delaying the install hoping to find a set of Ravines, but no luck yet and with the AZ heat now here, I didn't feel comfortable on the old rubber.

IMG_20200506_111616.jpg

I have thought about it. During my research, I found that most people do not use the support ring and haven't had any issues. The Atlas is 110lbs and an NP241 is 90lbs so it's not a crazy difference.
Is there an adapter between the trans and the transfer case? Its usually the weight combined with the added leverage that can start cracking trans housings and adapters.

Reactions: DrDmoney
One of these days, I hope to be doing cool stuff to my Jeep, but today was just replace the valve cover gasket, drain and filled the front diff, and drained and filled the transfer case. So,now all fresh fluids in the drive train.
There is something satisfiying about just doing regular maintenance and peace of mind, for sure.

jeepforum99101.jpg

jeepforum99201.jpg

jeepforum99301.jpg

jeepforum99401.jpg

My '98 has just under 118,000 miles on now, and aside the rear diff bearings at around 60,000, there has been no major issue with it. Of course, it's not seen much off road miles and definitely not any treatment like my previous Jeeps. They were rode hard and put up wet.

I did find one thing that concerns me, the rusted coolant tube that goes to one of the heater hoses. That's probably the most rusted thing on my Jeep. Anyone know where to source one? Probably not a corner parts store item.
Thanks!

jeepforum99501.jpg

Started the Jeep to take care of this. It's been 50 days since it's moved. Rough as hell starting but no check engine light.

15888088244040.jpg

My smog guy even said, "surprising it passed" CA calls it a gross polluter so I have to go to a STAR station. Great news, I just fixed a slow evap leak late last year so this made me happy. Here's to another two years.

One of these days, I hope to be doing cool stuff to my Jeep, but today was just replace the valve cover gasket, drain and filled the front diff, and drained and filled the transfer case. So,now all fresh fluids in the drive train.
There is something satisfiying about just doing regular maintenance and peace of mind, for sure.

View attachment 159261
View attachment 159262
View attachment 159263
View attachment 159264

My '98 has just under 118,000 miles on now, and aside the rear diff bearings at around 60,000, there has been no major issue with it. Of course, it's not seen much off road miles and definitely not any treatment like my previous Jeeps. They were rode hard and put up wet.

I did find one thing that concerns me, the rusted coolant tube that goes to one of the heater hoses. That's probably the most rusted thing on my Jeep. Anyone know where to source one? Probably not a corner parts store item.
Thanks!

View attachment 159266
I believe you are looking for a water pump inlet tube. I bought this one a few years ago and it’s held up fine:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6JCU0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I am fairly certain you’ll have to pull the water pump to replace it though. Probably not worth the effort unless it’s leaking.

Started the Jeep to take care of this. It's been 50 days since it's moved. Rough as hell starting but no check engine light.

View attachment 159265

My smog guy even said, "surprising it passed" CA calls it a gross polluter so I have to go to a STAR station. Great news, I just fixed a slow evap leak late last year so this made me happy. Here's to another two years.
I have 5 vehicles that I maintain. I swear the most stressful times of the year is when I'm in the waiting area of the smog shop waiting for one of my cars to be tested.

Reactions: BlueChip
I ordered the Savvy transfer cable shifter. So, I went and pulled every bolt and nut from my skid to see what I would be facing when it gets here. One at a time of course. I then put anti-seize on them during reassembly. I was very happy there were no spun rivnuts. I think I’m going to try just taking off the skid plate and leaving the front drive shaft in. I haven’t worked much with drive shafts and they have those funky snap rings on it.

Reactions: matkal and L J
I ordered the Savvy transfer cable shifter. So, I went and pulled every bolt and nut from my skid to see what I would be facing when it gets here. One at a time of course. I then put anti-seize on them during reassembly. I was very happy there were no spun rivnuts. I think I’m going to try just taking off the skid plate and leaving the front drive shaft in. I haven’t worked much with drive shafts and they have those funky snap rings on it.
You yourself a favor and just pull the front ds. It's painful trying to work around it. There shouldn't be a snap ring on it. Just some 8mm, if I recall correctly, bolts holding it in. Just wrap a piece of tape around the ujoint so the caps don't come off.

It was yesterday, but the new wheel lock arrived (yay!), and I finished installing the driver’s side front extended brake line from Crown Performance. Had to cut off the bolt holding the old soft brake line and then drill a new hole for the new bolt. But the job is done, the brake lines are all flushed, and hopefully I’ll never have to smell brake fluid ever again lol!

Reactions: Fonz54