What did you do to your TJ today?

I recently painted my stock wheels black. It was a lot of tedious prep work, but the end product was well worth it. I used Duplicolor wheel coating in case you are curious.

View attachment 166864

View attachment 166865

I’ve been planning on doing this as well. Which duplicolor wheel paint did you use, and did you use clear coat afterward? How long did it take to do all of the wheels, and how long did you have to wait for them to dry? Sorry for the barrage of questions. I’ve been watching tons of YouTube videos, but IMHO real life answers are always best.

Also, welcome to the forum!

My mechanic recharged my A/C (after I rebuilt the engine) and checked/ adjusted my timing, he said it was 2-3 degrees off. My master cylinder was seeping brake fluid onto my freshly painted inner fenders🤬 mechanic said I should drain a bit out as it was on the high side of full so I sucked a couple of syringe fulls out....we'll see if that does the trick.

So far I replaced all factory shocks with rubicon express mono-tube shocks. In the process I broke 6 bolts. I then picked up some Moab wheels that I’m replacing my old Mickey Thompson wheels with. The PO had put 33” tires on it with 3.73 gears so when I’m in 5th gear I essentially cannot accelerate at all. Today I’m picking up some new milestone Patagonia’s to put on the moab wheels. I also put on a new rubicon express steering stabilizer. Last things on the list of to-do’s is remove the 3” body lift the po installed but one of the bolts is just spinning so I’ve decided to take a break for now 😂

C68290E6-65C8-499C-A856-9C7948A17E43.jpeg

CF73BCF3-8318-4936-87B2-66D595C71AD5.jpeg

233F7F38-995C-4FAD-BA4C-D5C86F7A2C6F.jpeg

Last night I put the LJ in to summer mode- removed the hard top and doors, installed the mirrors, and filled the fuel tank in preparation for today's commute.

I do like the 4.88s, now it's a matter of accruing mileage for the break-in period and oil change.

So far I replaced all factory shocks with rubicon express mono-tube shocks. In the process I broke 6 bolts. I then picked up some Moab wheels that I’m replacing my old Mickey Thompson wheels with. The PO had put 33” tires on it with 3.73 gears so when I’m in 5th gear I essentially cannot accelerate at all. Today I’m picking up some new milestone Patagonia’s to put on the moab wheels. I also put on a new rubicon express steering stabilizer. Last things on the list of to-do’s is remove the 3” body lift the po installed but one of the bolts is just spinning so I’ve decided to take a break for now 😂

View attachment 167035

View attachment 167036

View attachment 167037
I kind like the MT wheels.

Had the black version of those in 17" on my JKU.

@dhchwes
Looks like the Baja ATZ P3
View attachment 166980
Corner notch on the outside block isn't right.

View attachment 167035

View attachment 167036

View attachment 167037
Another beautiful black TJ. Nice

After putting it off for like a year, I finally did a proper setup of my rear axle (4 adjustable control arms).

When I got the arms (Metalcloak) I just stuffed them in at stock length for the lowers and a little longer for the uppers for pinion angle, but I obsessed with keeping the arms equal lengths. The rear was rock hard, but I thought that was just the Bilstein shocks.

Eventually got round to it after reading a couple threads here and let the arms be whatever length the axle wanted (square to the frame, clearance to the fuel tank and trackbar and pinion angle good) and my gosh the ride is like 100x better! I guess the axle was fighting the arms constantly previously! It feels totally transformed in the rear now! Super happy.

Feels like the rear wheels are more centered in the arches too.
azkrEJo.jpg

Finished the repair to the window frame above the door skin. Small dent and paint chips. Painted with pewter metallic per a forum member suggestion. Could not find silverstone metallic, (PS5) LOCALLY. Color is too gold, not a good match.😟

• Sad
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Adjusted my hood. I'm pretty sure that my girl has been hit in the front. There are some water leaks and body panel issues that I am starting to try and straighten out.
Water leaks are a bee-atch. If it's coming in the front and ending up in the footwells, be sure to check the seam between two body panels at either end of the piece where the windshield gasket is mounted. You have to flop the windshield forward (removed in pics) and lift up the edge of the gasket (also removed in pics) to see the seam.
The factory fills it with body putty and in mine, it was pretty dried out and a bit rusty, indicating some water penetration. I dug out the putty, cleaned up the metal, blasted with some etching primer, and then re-sealed it with some Lexel clear sealant (industrial stuff). It would be easier to get to if the windshield hinges were completely removed but that requires removing the doors and I didn't have time when I did this. You will probably need to put something under the rubber seal to lift it and keep it off of the sealant while it dries or it may be next to impossible to ever remove it.
On my 2001, I also sealed the rest of that seam as it goes down and across the inside of the well under the cowl (also removed in the pics). Sealing the place I'm pointing to in the last pic is what finally got my 2001 to stay dry. I'll probably seal that one this weekend...if it doesn't rain.
IMG_20200603_124514.jpg
IMG_20200603_124520.jpg
IMG_20200603_124528.jpg

Not today but recently installed my Di Tech mirror relocation brackets. This is the best option I have seen for doorless mirrors. I had cheap mirrors that went in the top hinge but they vibrated badly and no matter how much I tightened them they would try to fold at highway speeds. Just a slight bump in the garage or parking lot would move them also. The factory mirrors are the best option and I think these brackets are the best brackets available. These brackets put the mirrors at almost the doors on position. Mounting points are the top door hinge and the top two dashboard screws.

View attachment 142397

View attachment 142405

View attachment 142410

The drivers side did not fit perfect and angles away from the vehicle but that is very easily compensated for.

View attachment 142417

View attachment 142418

The passenger side fit a little better but still very satisfied with both.

View attachment 142419

View attachment 142420

Wow, those look perfect!

What mirrors did you get to go with them?