What did you do to your TJ today?

Installed Currie 4" springs, and Core 4x4 T4 Johnny Joint track bars. Not too bad of a job, but ran into issue with breaking off both lower sway bar bolts out front. Sway bar link bushing are trashed too, so ordered JKS disconnects to install instead of just new links. Wanted an Anti-Rock but it would require me to cut away some of my bumper support to install the bushings and I don't want to weaken it. Also ordered a JKS angled track bar bracket, so I can correct my pinion some more without hitting the gas tank (it was already rubbing some). The new springs increased my ride height over the worn out 4" Superlift springs enough I need to make some more adjustments. Shes standing tall again, and hopefully will stay off the rear bump stops now. The old springs are so worn they are .75-1" shorter than the Currie springs, and the spring rate was gone. 15 years is a pretty good run for a cheap lift kit. Didn't finish tonight, but I am close. Need to source a larger bolt for front tracker bar to axle connection. I know if its tight it wont move, still want the bigger bolt because my OCD wont allow me to run the 10mm in the larger hole in the Johnny Joint. Field trip to the fastener store tomorrow!

IMG_5533.JPG

IMG_5537.JPG

Yesterday, I replaced the A/C compressor and accumulator/drier. It's blowing cold and should be leak free now.

When I fired it up to charge the system, I had a pretty decent coolant leak. Turns out the clamp at the water pump for the lower hose was not tight from a previous owner or "mechanic" and in removing the old compressor and installing the new one, the hose had almost come off the pump. It stopped leaking though once it warmed up. After I got the system charged and the engine cooled back down, I investigated and found the issue.

Did you start the process by pumping down the system? My A/C doesn't work and that will be my fall project. Usually, I'm present when the AC fails so I can determine if it's the compressor or a leak or what. But here, I'm starting from zero. What I'm afraid of is pumping down the system and the compressor kicks on without refrigerant / lube.

Yea, I went around and around with myself over where to put it. I think I could fit a couple more in there if/when I need to. Easy to get to location as well.
I ended up buying a few Deutsch connectors from amazon to redo my front fogs and the driving lights(yes I am running both in the front on separate switches) plus the A pillar spot lights

You have the hardest part done, which is getting the wiring and switch installed.

(y)

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
When I purchased the '01 in January the rear tail lights were very dim.... due to a variety of reasons...
The red tail light lenses were badly affected by the suns UV, the glass in the bulbs were dark due to age and the dirty electrical connections.
I replaced the lenses, installed newer used bulbs, installed aluminum A/C tape to use as a reflector and cleaned the electrical connections.
Yesterday I installed a LED 3rd brake light to add to the brake lights.
I may need to black out a few LEDs due to the intensity of the 3rd brake light.

IMG_8100.jpg

Ordered these grab handles, because I'm tired of the doing the Steering Wheel Grab Butt Drag™ move when getting in. I'm tall, but a 2 inch lift and side steps that are useless as steps takes its toll on the seat edge. Anyone have them, like them, dislike them?

Ordered this steering wheel cover in size C to cover some wear on my wheel and add a little padding. I've always loved these, my grandma used to have a real leather one on her little two-door Pontiac Sunbird in the late 80s; she also had sheepskin seat covers. :LOL:

Realized the previous owner put the washer fluid sprayers in the bumper holes!? ( you can see it in my profile pic) But there are no holes for the sprayers...but I have a fluid reservoir, so it came with them...so do I have a hood that didn't come with my Jeep? I can tell it's likely been repainted before, but was told "no wrecks" so I assumed it was original. or is this a weird "feature"? or is there something I'm missing here? Explains the crap spray pattern! haha.

Checked the Jeep at lunch to see if elves had finished removing the fender flares. They had not. :cry:

Talked to my dad about finding my probable AC leak soon since he's got the gauges, vacuum pump, and UV dye and what not.

Last edited:
Removed home made seat lift blocks the PO installed. Lowered the seat 2" (great for me at 6'3") no more hitting my head on the roll bar. Had to go get some bolts and ended up needing to relocate my amp due to clearance issues under the seat. I wanted to do this anyway, so I bought a $2 cutting board and some hardware to make brackets. Took some doing, but its securely under the steering column now, and not a wire to be seen. Tonight I will finish up the front suspension and get the rear ready for the angle track bracket that should arrive Thursday. Hope to get on the trails this weekend after we finish up my birthday party at a lake cabin my wife rented. Hope I am not too hung over Sunday. I think 15 or 20 people are coming to the cabin. Should be interesting.

Ordered these grab handles, because I'm tired of the doing the Steering Wheel Grab Butt Drag™ move when getting in. I'm tall, but a 2 inch lift and side steps that are useless as steps takes its toll on the seat edge. Anyone have them, like them, dislike them?

Ordered this steering wheel cover in size C to cover some wear on my wheel and add a little padding. I've always loved these, my grandma used to have a real leather one on her little two-door Pontiac Sunbird in the late 80s; she also had sheepskin seat covers. :LOL:

Realized the previous owner put the washer fluid sprayers in the bumper holes!? ( you can see it in my profile pic) But there are no holes for the sprayers...but I have a fluid reservoir, so it came with them...so do I have a hood that didn't come with my Jeep? I can tell it's likely been repainted before, but was told "no wrecks" so I assumed it was original. or is this a weird "feature"? or is there something I'm missing here? Explains the crap spray pattern! haha.

Checked the Jeep at lunch to see if elves had finished removing the fender flares. They had not. :cry:

Talked to my dad about finding my probable AC leak soon since he's got the gauges, vacuum pump, and UV dye and what not.

Those grab handles are great. Installed for my wife, shes about a foot shorter than me, and she loves them. You might have to cut a hole if you have windshield trim. Other than that, easy install.

Do you have better pictures of the hood and fenders, hard to tell from your profile pic, but the driver side fender looks odd.. also pics of the sprayers in the bumper holes (not original, unique yes, OEM no)

I installed a new Rock Jock sway bar. It only has three holes. I used the center hole and it feels better driving on the road than it felt with the home made quick disconnects that the previous owner installed. I hope its as good as they say off road.

This time yesterday I had completed my fog lite switch install, but the lites themselves didn't work. Now they do. It turned into a minor flail because my volt meter had a flakey negative test lead that eventually expired, so I was getting test results that didn't make any sense. Once I figured that out and cut that SOB in two before it landed in the trash can, the meter worked better and I was able to figure out what was wrong - exactly what I originally thought. 14 years of flapping in the breeze had oxidized the pins on the OEM wiring harness - once I filed that off, the lites work fine. I may need to eventually replace those connectors as I had to file down to bare copper, but we'll see. I'll try to get them aligned tonite.

Wow, love that red and bed liner paint job! What bed liner spray did you use on your flares? I've been debating brands for my imminent flares and bumpers repaint.
I used Raptor with their adjustable gun. Black is the standard black, and the red and grey were custom tinted. I painted the flares, bumpers, and all the small accessory pieces in black, the interior and exterior in the grey, and added the red striping.

I used Raptor with their adjustable gun. Black is the standard black, and the red and grey were custom tinted. I painted the flares, bumpers, and all the small accessory pieces in black, the interior and exterior in the grey, and added the red striping.

It looks great. I thought I was seeing a gray and a black, but wasn't sure if it was just the lighting at first. Spray gun painting isn't in my skillset right now, so I'm going to rattle can my flares. The Jurassic Park pattern looks great in red and black!

It looks great. I thought I was seeing a gray and a black, but wasn't sure if it was just the lighting at first. Spray gun painting isn't in my skillset right now, so I'm going to rattle can my flares. The Jurassic Park pattern looks great in red and black!
Thank you for noticing! I’m not a fan of beige, so I went with grey. Here’s a closeup where the three colors meet on the front fender. And spraying with the raptor gun was super easy. Very forgiving paint. You just have to make sure you have a big enough compressor.

3E7AB3E0-99B8-4A62-B424-0016A756CA72.jpeg

Do you have better pictures of the hood and fenders, hard to tell from your profile pic, but the driver side fender looks odd.. also pics of the sprayers in the bumper holes (not original, unique yes, OEM no)

104418416_10102978593048154_6741215593310251_n.jpg

104378251_10102978593068114_991614581382392474_n.jpg

This hood probably didn't come with the Jeep since it's missing sprayer holes and the paint has faded up some over the years (was a perfect match when I got it). Unless no washer res was an option and this guy really wanted one. lol Is it worth drilling holes and moving them so I can put bumpers in and still have sprayers? Or just leave this goofy set up. haha. This doesn't really amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme, but it's driving me crazy now that I've noticed. Sprayers are one of those things you don't really need...until you really need them, so I'd hate to just delete them. Functionality isn't great from that far back, but they still mostly get it done.

Reactions: matkal