What did you do to your TJ today?

Looks like it's just a #10 zipper slider, pick a couple up for a few bucks on amazon, use one to fix it, keep the other as a spare. There are a couple of videos on how to get them onto the zipper on a soft top on YT.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTVPLMY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

the one that split apart had #10 stamped on the casting, makes sense. i had been having a hard time with the zipper even with lube, but seems as though i have internally worn out the aluminum casting and it finally failed.

the repair shop i wanted to go to wouldnt answer the phone and voicemail said shes 3 months behind and its just her so no more incoming work allowed. and 2nd shop showed me a identical zipper pull but told me it wouldnt work, flipped the remaining zipper around for me but that did nothing to retain the section where the zipper joints start at.

im down to the wire which is what my dilemma is, i leave for colorado/moab with the jeep on the 10th. ill just pick up them pulls and cross my fingers. i understand how to remove the stop at the end to get the pulls back on. thanks.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Completed what appears to be my annual audio mod by adding some new Helix 6.5"s in the speaker pods and some new tweeters, along with a beer sent from @Tom18 in exchange for a center console. Love non-monetary forum transactions.

IMG_20200626_164256.jpgIMG_20200627_135625.jpgIMG_20200620_135717.jpg

How was adjusting of the parking brake?
It was pretty easy, though the aftermarket parking brake components made it a bit more complicated then it should have been compared to the youtube videos. Basically I had to rotate the gear the opposite direction on one side.

I jacked up the rear axle, popped out the tensioner access plug and rotated the little gear to further push out the shoes. After a few clicks, tested the resistance by rotating the tire. Repeated a few times. Also tightened up the cable a few threads.

Jeep will hold on an incline for the first time since I owned it

Finished installing my O2 sensors. I had changed 2/2 after getting a code, but it was such a bear of a job that I ignored the other 3. Did them all today, and they were a breeze. Happy to have them all done now. All NTK parts.
Noticed your user name, I play as well👍

Removing the third brake light and its wiring harness as one piece as part of my exterior detail and trim restoration project. I have the mount unbolted from the spare tire mount and the connectors disconnected from the mount inside the tailgate, but

What's the trick to getting a rubber gasket like this to come out?

106356687_10102997348232614_4510080199506552129_n.jpg
106256597_10102997348222634_3590819036266008091_n.jpg

changed my rear diff oil, I do this every summer & usually just pop the drain plug but today I pulled the cover for the first time in a couple years to inspect the gears, everything looks to be in order; couldn't get a good shot of the pinion but I got the light in there & spun it around a few times by the shaft & it also looks perfect

IMG_5214.JPG
IMG_5223.jpg
IMG_5224.jpg

ordered this thing 2 weeks ago, I think it traveled around the globe before showing up today, Amazon suggested it was 'lost' and that I should request a refund and reorder which I was going to do on Monday but alas it appeared. Never used one before, I like it

IMG_5225.jpg
IMG_5226.jpg

spun everything around a few times just to be sure, I couldn't find any chips or anything else that looked out of place, ARB works as expected also.

Great job. What method did you use, sand, prime, paint etc? I just picked up some stock Rubi flares today that are on the borderline of needing a makeover.

View attachment 172636
I’ve been using automotive touchup paints. All RAttle cans... primer, base, clear coat. Color matched... I’ve been happy with the products, but rattle cans aren’t very forgiving. But I’m content with the results. I filled cracks with plastic bondo, sanded it smooth with 1000, 1500 grit wet sandpaper, applied 3 coats of primer, no sanding.... 4 coats of base... no sanding... and 4 coats of clear... then lightly buffed with 2000 grit wet and then, polished with 3m auto rubbing compound... I attached other TJ work I have done with the paint.

02C513D6-2792-4235-9B7B-6726F9A7A1CE.jpeg

2FAE38DF-F16C-40D6-B267-07089CB29AC6.jpeg

3CDA1435-4CEB-4D35-A22F-AEE5DF1C0D44.jpeg

BF51A7B1-4135-4626-AD39-A6B619AFDF36.jpeg

D4435C7A-6893-4444-8149-8D73FB4CB3C2.jpeg

You would think auto mfgs would just do away with drums altogether - surely basic disks are about the same cost to build what with the drum's greater fussiness and complexity.
Living in a winter climate I have many friends who disagree. I kind of on the wire. But discs on the rear axle in a salt filled winter environment seldom last more than 4 years, drums tend to last forever. Front disc brakes just like TJ frames from the transfer case forward last forever. Also Rubicon parking brakes, the size of a hockey puck, are useless. I quit fixing mine 10 years ago. I just put it in first and shut off the engine. But I agree discs are simpler to work on.

I’ve been using automotive touchup paints. All RAttle cans... primer, base, clear coat. Color matched... I’ve been happy with the products, but rattle cans aren’t very forgiving. But I’m content with the results. I filled cracks with plastic bondo, sanded it smooth with 1000, 1500 grit wet sandpaper, applied 3 coats of primer, no sanding.... 4 coats of base... no sanding... and 4 coats of clear... then lightly buffed with 2000 grit wet and then, polished with 3m auto rubbing compound... I attached other TJ work I have done with the paint.

View attachment 172656

View attachment 172657

View attachment 172669

View attachment 172670

View attachment 172671

Very nice looking work!!!
Just make sure which can you're grabbing in the future... It looks like you have the primer and base coat caps swapped on their respective cans... ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt

View attachment 172656

View attachment 172657

View attachment 172669

View attachment 172670

View attachment 172671

Awesome, your work is great! I have a couple small bottles of that paint, I used it when I installed my sliders, to prime/paint/gloss the holes, and also on a couple bare spots, so wow, now I may do this. Thanks for the tips, yours came out excellent.

Last edited: