TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

What did you do to your TJ today?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Just curious did it seem like it helped much?
Ok, 2nd reply...

I went out and tuned in a rap station, and cranked the bass to max. FAR more bass than I'd ever want in real life. I didn't even have it particularly loud - and tried the "thumb test" over the ports. I could REALLY feel air moving in and out of them, and when I covered them, there was a rattle/resonation that wasn't there when I uncovered the ports. But as for a subjective difference in sound, I couldn't detect any whatsoever - but again, "not my music" and I'm not a real audiophile. But for 98 cents each, the pair of tubes are obviously doing *something* - the air pumping in and out was pretty significant. Which was what I'd expect.

Reactions: matkal and chad

AndyG

TJ Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
it's a Jeep" as the explanation. I lo
Good post.

It kills me the crap people tell themselves and others to make up for a messed up TJ ....The TJ Wrangler was built TO DRIVE,RIDE AND HANDLE BETTER THAN ALL PREVIOUS MODELS. IT WAS THE FIRST PRODUCTION COIL SPRING SUSPENSION A JEEP EVER HAD, AND ALL THEY HAVE HAD SINCE.

Why am I being so emphatic? Because I got my hands on one that drove terrible and fixed it thanks to this Forum.

No, it won't be a Cadillac, because it isn't. We live in the age of purpose built vehicles.

A CJ/YJ rode on 8 bushings , a TJ - on 30 plus the lower shock mount bushings.

This thread isn't the place for this rant I guess, but this forum is. Nearly every TJ I run across is messed up to some degree..whether it's neglected tires , improper pressure,worn bushings, worn parts...and most of the time it's a combination at work.

So what did I do to mine today?

Nothing, it's in the shop ...

Week 1- probably nothing got done

Week 2 weld control arm mount, check alignment, chase exhaust leak

Week 3- tear into it , leak at head

Week 4 - Banks sends wrong gasket

Week 5 Right gasket comes , it's put together yesterday, I'm dying for it but they want to run it through heat cycles. Remind me next time not to sell one when the other is in the shop.

😟😷

Last edited:

matkal

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ok, 2nd reply...

I went out and tuned in a rap station, and cranked the bass to max. FAR more bass than I'd ever want in real life. I didn't even have it particularly loud - and tried the "thumb test" over the ports. I could REALLY feel air moving in and out of them, and when I covered them, there was a rattle/resonation that wasn't there when I uncovered the ports. But as for a subjective difference in sound, I couldn't detect any whatsoever - but again, "not my music" and I'm not a real audiophile. But for 98 cents each, the pair of tubes are obviously doing *something* - the air pumping in and out was pretty significant. Which was what I'd expect.
Would simply drilling a hole do the same thing?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
It's called "port tuning" but there is math involved to do it correctly. airspace in box, diameter of tube, length of tube...
If it sounds better, that's all that matters.
That's about what I figured. I actually was only looking for a "little, itty-bitty vent or grille" to dress up the hole, but the tube was what I found. At least there's air moving through it.

dla

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Who did you get to cover it? Looks great! Cost?
Purchased from a seller in Poland on eBay that goes by “aacarsaa” and “aacars14“.

I heard of him though a couple other members, @Daz7 and @LJGreg on this site that have bought his steering wheels.

This one was $210 plus $45 shipping which turns out to be considerably cheaper than the Redline Goods option with their installation and shipping back and forth.

Last edited:

Rrr70

Supporting Member
Took OE fender flares off last week with intent to paint them. After 10 minutes and third beer, decided that I need/want something wider (who doesn’t), and started looking at flat flares. Too many damn choices! Decided to go inexpensive route and got a set of Paramount flares from Quadratec. Install was a breeze, connected LED indicators and they look decent. With 3.25 backspacing wheels , courtesy of the PO, coverage is good and no more chipped paint and no more dirt on the sides.

5480C273-DD7C-4FB4-AC37-2C38B5C4CF53.jpeg
245E40BD-9BF6-43D7-9DF8-A492D1C1590E.jpeg

Also finally put flag decals on.
CA630A2E-97F0-4DEB-86C3-291C565D0F3F.jpeg