What did you do to your TJ today?

• Set of wire brushes for my drill came in. Going to use them to clean the rusty non-matching steel spare before I paint it.

• Put tail lights, signals and license plate and mount back on — just enough to make it street legal so I could drive it around to charge the battery.

• Realized that even though I meticulously bagged and tagged my hardware, I can't find the screw that goes in the double cup holder.

• Check Engine light came on when I started it up for my drive. 9/10 times it's my gas cap, but it wasn't this time. Borrowed the OBD-II reader my family passes around when someone needs it from my dad so I can pull the codes later.

• Got home and decided to finally wash the Jeep. Got all my supplies out, hooked up the hose to the spigot...and no water noise, no water. WTF. All signs point to be being something to do with the faucet. I'm not much on plumbing, so my father is going to help this weekend — say a prayer for my beautiful Azalea bushes in front of the spigot that the previous owners took meticulous care of. 🤣 Hauled all the car wash stuff back in the garage. A group of college-age kids started cutting across my lawn during all of this and I REALLY wished the water hose was working! 😄

• Pulled the Jeep in and removed the passenger seat to start cleaning the vinyl floor. I have a set of Drill brushes coming in on Monday, but I'm hitting them with a nylon brush by hand right now. The seat fabric is very clean, but I'm going to use my water extractor on it because I know after 19 years some dirt is bound to come out of it.

View attachment 174429

View attachment 174430

Question on the seat: I slid the seat all the way forward so that I could get the rear bolts first. Then I slid it back like how it would be if someone was sitting in it to get the front bolts out and removed it in that position. Now I want to clean the mount/tracks, but the seat mount is very "stacked" on its self and hard to get into for cleaning. What the best way slide the seat forward to clean the mount now that it doesn't have the bolts to pull against for sliding?

(BTW, the clear bushings on the seats all cracked and broke off within days of each other last week, does having them gone make much difference?)

On the bushings; your seat will likely rattle.

Stable Seat has a fix for it. Ive have some on mine for 2 or 3 years now.

All this stereo talk reminded me of how bad I need to mount some 6.5" speakers overhead. I recently installed a Pioneer unit with MTX speakers up front. Maybe a nice amplified 10" sub in the back too. I miss my old set-up with two 10s and an amp.
SPEAKER BOX (2).jpg

• Set of wire brushes for my drill came in. Going to use them to clean the rusty non-matching steel spare before I paint it.

• Put tail lights, signals and license plate and mount back on — just enough to make it street legal so I could drive it around to charge the battery.

• Realized that even though I meticulously bagged and tagged my hardware, I can't find the screw that goes in the double cup holder.

• Check Engine light came on when I started it up for my drive. 9/10 times it's my gas cap, but it wasn't this time. Borrowed the OBD-II reader my family passes around when someone needs it from my dad so I can pull the codes later.

• Got home and decided to finally wash the Jeep. Got all my supplies out, hooked up the hose to the spigot...and no water noise, no water. WTF. All signs point to be being something to do with the faucet. I'm not much on plumbing, so my father is going to help this weekend — say a prayer for my beautiful Azalea bushes in front of the spigot that the previous owners took meticulous care of. 🤣 Hauled all the car wash stuff back in the garage. A group of college-age kids started cutting across my lawn during all of this and I REALLY wished the water hose was working! 😄

• Pulled the Jeep in and removed the passenger seat to start cleaning the vinyl floor. I have a set of Drill brushes coming in on Monday, but I'm hitting them with a nylon brush by hand right now. The seat fabric is very clean, but I'm going to use my water extractor on it because I know after 19 years some dirt is bound to come out of it.

View attachment 174429

View attachment 174430

Question on the seat: I slid the seat all the way forward so that I could get the rear bolts first. Then I slid it back like how it would be if someone was sitting in it to get the front bolts out and removed it in that position. Now I want to clean the mount/tracks, but the seat mount is very "stacked" on its self and hard to get into for cleaning. What the best way slide the seat forward to clean the mount now that it doesn't have the bolts to pull against for sliding?

(BTW, the clear bushings on the seats all cracked and broke off within days of each other last week, does having them gone make much difference?)
Reading this stressed me out 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I read the post on replacing the interior lights with LEDs, replaced the missing passenger footwell light socket, and then upgraded the HVAC lights and the footwell lights. I forgot to take “before” pics, but two of the HVAC lights were blown, and the regular bulbs in the footwells looked dim along side the Cool White LED I had put in the overhead light.

Now I can finally read the HVAC settings in the dark! I also bought white LEDs for the footwells, in case I didn’t like the red, but I think the red LEDs look pretty boss! I bought the wrong colour LEDs for the rocker switches, but the correct ones should be on their way in a day or two, along with Warm White LEDs for the instrument cluster.

There’s also a pretty good shot of my BlueDriver ODBII reader 😂 It was expensive, but every mechanic shop around here charges at least $50 to read engine codes, so it has already saved me money!
6AA671B1-A007-48DA-90DA-FE76F1295794.jpeg
4114104C-7BA8-415B-A30A-510860FEED42.jpeg
930AB017-233D-4D45-893F-2DD350B1DB50.jpeg

I read the post on replacing the interior lights with LEDs, replaced the missing passenger footwell light socket, and then upgraded the HVAC lights and the footwell lights. I forgot to take “before” pics, but two of the HVAC lights were blown, and the regular bulbs in the footwells looked dim along side the Cool White LED I had put in the overhead light.

Now I can finally read the HVAC settings in the dark! I also bought white LEDs for the footwells, in case I didn’t like the red, but I think the red LEDs look pretty boss! I bought the wrong colour LEDs for the rocker switches, but the correct ones should be on their way in a day or two, along with Warm White LEDs for the instrument cluster.

There’s also a pretty good shot of my BlueDriver ODBII reader 😂 It was expensive, but every mechanic shop around here charges at least $50 to read engine codes, so it has already saved me money!
View attachment 174597View attachment 174598View attachment 174599
That’s exactly what I did too! I also did all my instrument cluster and the sound bar light in red.

DF914E6D-D6FA-4C61-9A72-FB74B2251DCE.jpeg

9A4CA9EE-8BBC-4F70-A935-A1483EFF1D18.jpeg

That’s exactly what I did too! I also did all my instrument cluster and the sound bar light in red.

View attachment 174611

View attachment 174612

I had previously bought red LEDs for the instrument cluster and for the overhead light. I wasn’t sure how they would look, so I didn’t install them, but yours looks so fantastic I’m reconsidering!

Reactions: grumblebee
Reading this stressed me out 🤣

Living it stressed me out! 🤣 Outside water spigot is functional again.🎉

replaced the missing passenger footwell light socket

And MOPAR said, "Let there be light," and there was light. I had no idea there was supposed to be one on the passenger side! I just looked and the connector was shoved up under the dash, now I just need to order a socket.

Spent a good 10 minutes rubbing the passenger side airbag cover with a microfiber towel and rubbing alcohol because it was unexpectedly fly-paper-like sticky all over. Apparently airbag covers just do that when they are old according to the internet. It took small circles and a lot of passes, but it looks and feels normal again. Not sure how long it will last.

Packed up the off-brand Grabar handles to return. I was going to have to spend a lot of time either finagling or trimming some trim to get them 100% seated, and I didn't want to do it.🤷‍♀️ I guess I will order the real deal (but it's a lot of $ for what it is) or find something different.

View attachment 174597View attachment 174598View attachment 174599

I had no idea there were so many lights in the TJ. I might have to get under there and replace some of mine as well... That looks good !

in the midst of the mid afternoon heat yesterday i managed to pull my banks catback out and swap back in the oem catback. i was working in the shade provided by the jeep so it was bearable.

its a pia but able to do without cutting the exhaust pipes. the banks came out by jacking up from the frame on the rear passenger side and pulling the rear lower shock bolt. stock exhaust was able to be installed by removing the rear driveshaft u bolts and pulling the driveshaft aside.

jeeps pretty dang silent again now. i miss the slight deep rasp/rumble when downshifting from the banks but kinda appreciate the silence.

wanted to get the straight through muffler out for the baffled so im kosher with the spark arrestor regulations for BLM land and whatnot during my vacation.

Living it stressed me out! 🤣 Outside water spigot is functional again.🎉

And MOPAR said, "Let there be light," and there was light. I had no idea there was supposed to be one on the passenger side! I just looked and the connector was shoved up under the dash, now I just need to order a socket.

Spent a good 10 minutes rubbing the passenger side airbag cover with a microfiber towel and rubbing alcohol because it was unexpectedly fly-paper-like sticky all over. Apparently airbag covers just do that when they are old according to the internet. It took small circles and a lot of passes, but it looks and feels normal again. Not sure how long it will last.

Packed up the off-brand Grabar handles to return. I was going to have to spend a lot of time either finagling or trimming some trim to get them 100% seated, and I didn't want to do it.🤷‍♀️ I guess I will order the real deal (but it's a lot of $ for what it is) or find something different.

I didn’t know there was supposed to be one there either until I read that interior LED light thread! Our MOPAR god is a cruel god at times, but a just one. At least, that’s what I tell myself when I look at my bank account 😂😂

As for the Grabars, definitely splurge for the real thing. IIRC you have a 2001, so there’s no trim piece to cut a hole in. It’s literally 4 bolts, and they’re installed! I’ve had mine for a few months now, and they’re fantastic.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I had no idea there were so many lights in the TJ. I might have to get under there and replace some of mine as well... That looks good !

Thanks! I didn’t know there were this many lights either until I looked into replacing the HVAC lights. Now all of the exterior lights and almost all of the interior lights are LEDs.

Project "Rub It With A Diaper" continues...

Removed, cleaned, and restored the license plate holder from faded gray to black with Solution Finish.

View attachment 174057

Removed tail light guards for repaint.

Removed the tail lights and guards to find the light and guard stuck together via adhesive gasket, pulled them apart and now have a super sticky mess to deal with before I can paint the guards. Rubbing alcohol isn't touching it. It appears that a rocket surgeon PO put the foam gasket that came with the metal tail light guards between the guard and the tail light instead of the metal guard and the Jeep. They have to go back on because they have marred the paint from not having the gaskets in the right place. Going to get a sheet of black EVA foam and 3M Super 77 it to the back of the guard and trim it to fit, I guess.

Cleaned all the crud that was under the spare tire mount and tail lights.

Got a couple of web velcro straps in the mail today to temporarily keep the soft top folded and together when I remove completely and install the bikini top. I've never had the soft top 100% off, and I've never even folded the new soft top back before after install. I think it's time!

I need to give the Jeep a quick wash so the top and windows are clean for storage tomorrow. Dreading it because of heat, humidity, and mosquitoes. It feels like soup today.

Mine is rocking that look right now while I try to decide on a replacement bumper. Which RC bumper did you go with?
William’s Lectric Shave for removing adhesive. This stuff will take the chrome off a ‘56 Caddie bumper 🤓!

Bought replacement front fenders, decided not to continue the previous owner’s losing rust battle. Going to have them powdercoated satin black via my VFW Commander, it’s always about who you know ;) Giving them to him tomorrow.
Last week had a shop fix the brakes. Right side rear line rusted out a hole. Before we could get it fixed, my wife’s explorer starter crapped out. From 3 to one operational vehicle in two days! All fixed now ;)
Took out the side windows and rolled up the rear window for shaded open air driving. Getting hot, low 90’s.

Took it out for the 4th to a local ahem, unofficial, trail and spent way too much time trimming branches for clearance.
I don't recall seeing my temp gauge go over 210f before, but it would pass 210f the slower I went or idling in Park. I wish I would have had my OBDII reader to see how high it got.
Is going past 210f normal and not harmful on hot days?

Took it out for the 4th to a local ahem, unofficial, trail and spent way too much time trimming branches for clearance.
I don't recall seeing my temp gauge go over 210f before, but it would pass 210f the slower I went or idling in Park. I wish I would have had my OBDII reader to see how high it got.
Is going past 210f normal and not harmful on hot days?
I’m having the same problem at idle. Lower speeds i’m at 210.. Going to do the cooling system in hopes of remedying this. How old is your cooling system?