What did you do to your TJ today?

Five weeks after someone crashed into me and totaled my Black LJ, my custom shop came across an 06 that had just a bit more miles, but was built just a bit better too. After a thorough search underneath and a rewarding test drive, I agreed to purchase. But not before I added a few goodies. A week later it was ready to pick up and Friday I drove her home. Went for a drive today. That scorching hot Cali sun couldn’t have felt better through the alien shade.
5329C8E1-A8F1-4449-82A9-3876EDD052FB.jpeg
47666275-099F-4951-B0E6-61B1F9188AC8.jpeg

Five weeks after someone crashed into me and totaled my Black LJ, my custom shop came across an 06 that had just a bit more miles, but was built just a bit better too. After a thorough search underneath and a rewarding test drive, I agreed to purchase. But not before I added a few goodies. A week later it was ready to pick up and Friday I drove her home. Went for a drive today. That scorching hot Cali sun couldn’t have felt better through the alien shade. View attachment 184409View attachment 184410
That new LJ is the great silver lining to that story.... nice looking Jeep

Checked the weather app before I went to bed last night, looked the great weather so I decided to leave the top off. Woke up this morning, turned on the weather channel about 10 mins before I had to leave for work and immediately noticed the 50% of rain this morning.

With little time and rain looming on my mind I figured I only had enough time to get the top on without doors and the window panels. So after 5 rushed angry minutes in the dark, a few zip ties, and many cluster F-bombs later I finally got the 14 year old POS sunrider top back on and made my way to work.

Now that I'm into my shift a few hours and working with the garage doors open I can cleary see its a beautiful sunny day out with no rain😑

Today is exactly 2 months since I bought it back so I washed it in prep for trying some Meguiars Ultimate black plastic restorer on the flares. Advance auto just started free same day delivery here, so I had to try them out. I drove it all over yesterday and was surprised I can go 150 miles off $20 of gas. Also ordered some pre-cut ceramic 20% window tint for my front windows. $28 and a lifetime warranty.
RUBI 6 20 2.jpg

Torx. I've tried punching in different sized torx, a flathead attachment, left hand drill etc. Tomorrow ill have an angle grinder so ill try to cut down two sides and use a wrench, if that doesn't work im going to just cut the bolt heads off and use a vice grip for the rest of the bolt .
Allen socket in there with a hammer should work. I forget it the 7mm, or the 6mm fits in there

I removed the old non-functioning AC unit and installed an ARB air compressor in its place. Needed it for the locker that I am having installed at the end of the month, but it will also be nice to be able to pump up my tires a bit easier at the end of a day of wheeling.

Haven’t done much to the Jeep this year so I put in some new rear sway bar bushings. I know probably unnecessary but it was something. And only took 5 min and $10. While I was down there I noticed the inside of the rear passenger wheel was caked with nasty Pennsylvania mud that’s like tar. So I removed the wheel and gave it a good clean. Anyone else always forget to remove the wheel chock when finished a job? No? Just me?? I’ve ran over a few chocks lol

BE43230D-F31D-4017-9068-5A7EFE8A460F.jpeg

8AB427CF-15D3-474D-9AAE-EE85250A3621.jpeg

So I've been busy, haven't posted or even lurked the forum in forever. Well over a month ago now, I set out to replace ball joints and front axle U-joints. Made a dumb mistake during the BJ install and wound up fucking up my front axle, specifically the upper ear of the C on the driver's side where the upper BJ is seated. After pursuing a couple potential solutions, finally made the decision to just obtain a new "shell" and get everything transferred over. So...I pulled an axle for the first time in my life.

Gonna take advantage of everything being apart, do some painting, get rid of some surface rust, replace the LCA's finally, front driveshaft U joint, and anything else I can think of, reach, or make time for before putting it back together and praying to the good lord that it just "works" once it's all reassembled. When all is said and done, it'll have new seals and bearing, new hubs, new LCA's installed, new front axle u joints, new ball joints, and a few other goodies that hopefully keep it running without issue for the forseeable future...I've had enough of this shit for a long time :ROFLMAO:

Random side note but man, my Rancho shocks are only like 1.5 years old now approximately and they sure look beat to shit for having seen no major action and one real winter.

IMG_20200816_155330_01.jpg

I assume you will be keeping the gears, bearings, seals, and shims inside the differential from the "new" axle?

you mean for the new axle? If so, yes. Everything inside mine, to the best of my knowledge, is in good working order. I'm throwing in the towel and having a shop to the guts swap. They're going to put in new bearings and seals but I believe they are reusing the existing shims. Definitely using my ring & pinion as well. The donor that it's all going into is just an empty shell. Probably just leftover from someone who had them do a Dana 44 or HP Dana 30 swap. No one is getting into this kind of job on a stock Dana 30 I imagine, unless you're a dumbass like me

Reactions: Blondie70