What did you do to your TJ today?

You know why the crank sensor fixed the misfires and things?

Cause the rad needs to be replaced. Son of a b.........
20200819_111830.jpg

You know why the crank sensor fixed the misfires and things?

Cause the rad needs to be replaced. Son of a b.........
View attachment 184855
Funny how that works. I believe it was Doug DeMuro who said, he leaves 1 item broken on his Land Rover because he knows the moment he fixes it something else will break.

Getting prepped to install the new head unit and CB radio, both of which are currently inbound. Painted the new Metra center bezel (already in hand) to match the exterior (red). Will also paint the instrument cluster surround. Using Dupli-Color plastic dashboard paint - I probably would have been better off with SEM, but the Dupli-Color was available within walking distance. Seems to be working well enough, but its taking a LOT of paint to cover the black plastic. Will definitely need to take another walk for at least 1 more can...
Did I just read you're putting technology into your jeep??? What's next, power windows and locks? 🤭 😋

Replaced all the cooling system components so now the temp is what it is supposed to be. I had a cracked radiator. Also put in Bartact seat covers. The only thing I have to get taken care of is a high speed vibe at70 mph.

Reactions: Hog and L J
MA requires both yearly safety inspections and emissions inspections every 2 years on all vehicles less than 12 years old. After 12 years they only require yearly safety inspections. They also make the inspection stations take photos of the front and rear plates, the VIN, and the odometer. When I still lived there I found a shop that was owned by a fellow Jeep owner. A couple of zip ties to secure my front plate that I would put on the Jeep once a year, 4 photos, and $29 later, I would have my inspection sticker.

Or you could just buy your stereo equipment at Crutchfield. All adapters are included for plug and play installation and they even have a ReadyHarness to not touch any head unit wires either. I just replaced my head unit and speakers and it took about 30 minutes start to finish.

ordered

and hell, if women can't find me handsome, at least they'll find me handy.

Did I just read you're putting technology into your jeep??? What's next, power windows and locks? 🤭 😋
People make the gross error of ASS-U-ME-ing that because I don't like the stupid crap on modern cars, that I dislike all technology. Nothing could be further from the truth, in fact I made my living in the "high tech" field.

I consider comms to be essential, CB radio goes WAY back in my family. Now granted, I can take or leave a stereo - I don't listen to one very often in the car, and then almost always on long distance Interstate cruising. If the Jeep weren't already pre-plumbed for one, I probably wouldn't bother. But as it is, and I'm planning a long trip in it in October, in goes a new stereo - I even upgraded the speakers! A GPS was almost the very first thing I installed - I've been using GPSes since long before most had ever even heard of one. A GRMS radio will also eventually be installed.

What all this stuff has in common however, is it does NOT suck money out of my wallet every month. Buy once and done. Smartphones need not apply!

People make the gross error of ASS-U-ME-ing that because I don't like the stupid crap on modern cars, that I dislike all technology.
That WOULD be a gross error seeing how you're on a forum, which you access through the internet, via a technological device... It would be hard to poke at you, in good fun, if you didn't use technology.

Well, I got my new washer pumps in today, replaced the headlights, and figured I was all set for a Massachusetts inspection. My doors are off but I have two door hinge mirrors plus the rear view. Went to the first station and the guy said he would need the doors on it as he has to inspect the glass. Went to another place and the kid said he "didn't think" it needed the doors on but couldn't inspect it today would have to wait until tomorrow. I read the law and it says something along the lines of "all glazing that was originally installed needs to be in place." So, maybe the first guy was right. I dunno. I'm gonna go to the second place tomorrow and see what happens. Otherwise, I guess I need to pop my door hinge mirrors off and put the doors back on. Not that big a deal, I'm just lazy.

MA requires both yearly safety inspections and emissions inspections every 2 years on all vehicles less than 12 years old. After 12 years they only require yearly safety inspections. They also make the inspection stations take photos of the front and rear plates, the VIN, and the odometer. When I still lived there I found a shop that was owned by a fellow Jeep owner. A couple of zip ties to secure my front plate that I would put on the Jeep once a year, 4 photos, and $29 later, I would have my inspection sticker.

I take it it's been a couple years since you lived in Mass? The rules have changed as of 2018 I think it was. Emissions I believe is due every year now (OBD2 check, no sniff test) up to 15 years old, after that its only the safety inspection but they do a 'visible smoke' check on the tailpipe.

Also, no more photos, each booth is required to have 4 cameras which are fed to the RMV and the inspections are recorded there.

Edited to add: The OBD check has to be clear and no check engine light or its an automatic failure for vehicles under 15 years old. Also, you can't reset the light and drive to the station as this is recorded in the computer. You have to drive something like 75 miles to have the computer ready for a test.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
That WOULD be a gross error seeing how you're on a forum, which you access through the internet, via a technological device... It would be hard to poke at you, in good fun, if you didn't use technology.
That's it! And I'm accessing the Internet through a fairly powerful computer, with 3 large screens on it - not a crippled "device" with a tiny screen, a horrid user interface, and a large monthly bill!