What did you do to your TJ today?

Removed the brackets on replacement axle to make way for new Artec brackets.

IMG_20200827_123245.jpg

View attachment 5319 Currently my front drive shaft is out due to the dc joint failing. While doing the alignment today I had 6* left and 6.5* right caster. Reading a lot recommending 5-5.5 for a 4"+ lift. Jeep is still a little squirrelly. I think I need to get my rear steer ahead dead set. It was .14* so didn't mess with it. I set toe slightly toe in. Also my rear axle is about 3/8" off center and the front is almost 1/2". I guess I should really get the axles perfectly centered then worry about the alignment. Any recommendations on alignment? Any of you guys use an alignment rack?

Nate on dirtlifestyle uses lasers.... Seems to be a really good option if you know what you're looking for.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Nate on dirtlifestyle uses lasers.... Seems to be a really good option if you know what you're looking for.

i was pretty green back then. I think most of my issues were axles not square to the frame. After a lot of tweaking and measuring i got it figured out.

the jeep has changed a lot since then. Rides like a dream and I know for certain not a single laser was used in getting it set up.

i was pretty green back then. I think most of my issues were axles not square to the frame. After a lot of tweaking and measuring i got it figured out.

the jeep has changed a lot since then. Rides like a dream and I know for certain not a single laser was used in getting it set up.

I'm with you I didn't use lasers either but it does look like a good option if you're looking to get everything perfect. The problem is our Jeeps aren't perfect. I've measured by hand done a lot of tweaking to get everything perfect but I wonder if using a tool like that might make the trial-and-error part go away and just get things perfect from the get-go.

Besides trying to find my blower issue, which I believe is the actual switch, I decided to see why I had a rattle in what I thought was my passenger rear speaker. Turns out it was the dome light housing vibrating. LOL Since I had the speaker covers off I decide to have some fun. :D

2BF2AD20-E661-4377-ADC1-27FBF9412A0A.jpeg

Yep, found the purple paint can!! :D

Removed air box clips on the newly acquired stock intake, cleaned off rust And painted them Honda outboard silver.
1790E8CA-FAB2-4523-BCBC-E0BCBEC0B65E.jpeg

D34603D2-6002-4BA6-B2D9-3E0F06740592.jpeg

8247E83F-9077-4D1F-8D90-F5247974745A.jpeg

The winch breaker and relay was mounted to the cold air divider and I didn’t want to have to change lengths of wires or move them very far. I also didn’t want them to be in line with the fan to get water sling. I bent some 1/8”x1” aluminum from Lowe’s and made a couple brackets to go from the headlight stud to the radiator shroud.
D0210E47-C377-4FF8-A5B8-C0948A216ADD.jpeg

1C7DBADB-82F7-41AE-A98F-8B7683D84084.jpeg

BA21EBE6-B5D2-4202-96FE-6C569C99CFB0.jpeg

6B66E9B0-3E45-4ECF-9795-56D0A4832378.jpeg

DSC09635.JPG

Extracted my CD from the stock stereo "the hard way". Listening to it as I write this, I forgot how good this one is!

DSC09638.JPG

I'm including this picture "for the next guy". See that little plate with the nut? That is inserted into the somewhat bent up hole/bracket to the left. THAT is the so-called "security bolt" which pulled right out of the chassis with a little bit of effort!

DSC09644.JPG

The Metra double DIN escutcheon. Fits fine - I'm now at a stand still waiting for the damn (single DIN) head unit to show up - Amazon apparently managed to lose it, so now I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to deign to ship me another one. I need to see how it interacts mechanically with the CB radio so I can engineer how I'm going to install them both. Not much else I can do until it gets here - I'm a bit irritated...

I'm not sure I'm completely happy with the CB radio DIN mount either - it may get modified. It could have been designed better.

Oh, here's one more picture:

DSC09643.JPG

Wasn't there a guy here recently who was having grounding issues with an aftermarket stereo? From what I read on the cheat sheet that came with the Metra harness adapter, there is no ground wire on the stock stereo connector! I'm using this braid to ground both the CB and the stereo to one of the nuts that held the stock rear bracket that I removed. This should be a good RF ground for the CB, and will have plenty of current capacity to be a DC ground as well.

Just doing brackets not truss? Ask as thought passenger side upper control arm bracket had to come off as well.

More importantly now that you are good at it want to do another 😉

Truss isn't needed on the TJ Dana 30. That's been covered quite a bit.

I would do another but I don't think you want to drive so the way up from Missouri 😂

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Yesterday I finally installed the Ten Factory axle shafts & Timken hub/bearings for my Dana 30. I don't think any of the old u-joints or bearings were really knackered because I didn't notice any excessive movement anywhere, but I definitely lost a very slight shimmy at lower speeds after the installation. So maybe the 15 year old parts were gonna lose it soon, but hadn't just yet. I don't care. The new parts are great and will hopefully last another 15 years.

Upgraded my interior lights to white LEDs. My wife wanted purple but I said "We can't have purple interior lights. Someone on the forum will accuse me of RICE."

(Also, I used to have blue LEDs in my Winning Blue Mazda RX-8 and the novelty just wore off quickly. Everyone else loved it but for daily use it got annoying in short order. Live and learn.)