What did you do to your TJ today?

That’s good to know the severity of the mess it’ll make. I’ll definitely take some extra precaution!
If it helps, you'll end up needing 2 cans per frame side, if you're doing something like Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating. The same will likely apply to Fluid Film, which seems to be a preferred product here.

If it helps, you'll end up needing 2 cans per frame side, if you're doing something like Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating. The same will likely apply to Fluid Film, which seems to be a preferred product here.
Thanks for the heads up!

Best advice ever. My Texas Jeep saw 3 years in D.C. 👍
View attachment 304001

Good thing you caught that before it metastasized. I'm trying to help a friend find a decent TJ, they're getting harder & harder to find every day. This 98 chili pepper one looked beautiful, body was in perfect shape, even the fenders. Frame was packed with these however.

IMG_1394.PNG

I did three cans per side after seeing my "dime bag" of rust and what seeped out of the front and rear frame ends. :cool:

Rust dime bag.jpg

I did three cans per side after seeing my "dime bag" of rust and what seeped out of the front and rear frame ends. :cool:

View attachment 304016
I started with 2 cans per side, which was enough to get a decent coating. However, I have an additional two cans per side that will get applied soon. I want to be 100% certain the entire inside is thoroughly covered. A camera will confirm that! (y)

I started with 2 cans per side, which was enough to get a decent coating. However, I have an additional two cans per side that will get applied soon. I want to be 100% certain the entire inside is thoroughly covered. A camera will confirm that! (y)
I'm thinking of spraying one can per side each year from now on for piece of mind. Overkill ?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Irun
I'm thinking of spraying one can per side each year from now on for piece of mind. Overkill ?
No. I'm planning the same thing as an annual "maintenance" ritual. When it comes to protecting the inside of the frame, especially in our area, I'll happily spend a little time and $40 annually. I do it for the outside, so why not the inside! (y)

Reactions: TheBoogieman

'Dime bag' days, they were good days

I think I've got about 8 cans in total in there, maybe more. I had a little mishap where I blew some of it off with a self-car-wash power washer, that is some serious pressure & it can do some damage if you're not careful in the frame flushings. So a subsequent application of Eastwood was in order.

Some theorize that Eastwood is bad because the slightest crack will allow moisture to seep in between itself and the iron thereby causing further unseen damage so it's better to leave it bare and use a product like Fluid Film alone. I don't necessarily believe that but I also don't feel strongly enough about not believing it to leave it well enough alone, so I did both. I do believe that to the extent your Eastwood can be breached allowing anything to seep in, Fluid Film will seep in & prevent the water from getting in &/or displace the water if it gets in prior to the FF application.

So my prescription: clean it damn good then squirt 8 cans of Eastwood in, let dry, then pile 4 cans of Fluid Film in that bitch, case closed.

These shots were taken after the Eastwood but before the Film:

Frame 6.JPG
frame 9.JPG
frame 8.JPG

I think I've got about 8 cans in total in there, maybe more. I had a little mishap where I blew some of it off with a self-car-wash power washer, that is some serious pressure & it can do some damage if you're not careful in the frame flushings. So a subsequent application of Eastwood was in order.

Some theorize that Eastwood is bad because the slightest crack will allow moisture to seep in between itself and the iron thereby causing further unseen damage so it's better to leave it bare and use a product like Fluid Film alone. I don't necessarily believe that but I also don't feel strongly enough about not believing it to leave it well enough alone, so I did both. I do believe that to the extent your Eastwood can be breached allowing anything to seep in, Fluid Film will seep in & prevent the water from getting in &/or displace the water if it gets in prior to the FF application.

So my prescription: clean it damn good then squirt 8 cans of Eastwood in, let dry, then pile 4 cans of Fluid Film in that bitch, case closed.

View attachment 304017View attachment 304018View attachment 304019
My thinking was along these lines too. You can always add Fluid Film after Eastwood, but you can't do the opposite (easily). My new to me LJ had some rust inside the frame, more than I would like. However, I knew what I was getting into and caught it in time. I'm now going to be relentless at trying to keep any further rust at bay. Fortunately, my TJ is as rust free as they come and I plan to keep it that way as well! (y)

Edit: I do remember seeing something in one of the threads here that said the Fluid Film would "eat" the coatings, but can't seem to find it!

Last edited:
My thinking was along these lines too. You can always add Fluid Film after Eastwood, but you can't do the opposite (easily). My new to me LJ had some rust inside the frame, more than I would like. However, I knew what I was getting into and caught it in time. I'm now going to be relentless at trying to keep any further rust at bay. Fortunately, my TJ is as rust free as they come and I plan to keep it that way as well! (y)
yup, mine was pretty much preventative in nature. When I was wheeling it regularly I was flushing the rails constantly as I was submerging it in Appalachian Mountain coal riddled swamp water with God knows what else floating around in it. That's mainly why I did the Eastwood as otherwise my TJ never sees water much less snow/salt. Fluid filming inside would've been tough during those days as I would have had to apply it regularly due to all the flushings, so I ended up not doing it until I retired the rig from any further submergings. Since then I did one massive application, probably a year + ago, & every drop of it is still in there & still in its semi-liquid state, I test that by sticking my finger in there every other month or so followed by an audible FUCK, why did I do that :ROFLMAO:

No. I'm planning the same thing as an annual "maintenance" ritual. When it comes to protecting the inside of the frame, especially in our area, I'll happily spend a little time and $40 annually. I do it for the outside, so why not the inside! (y)
How much would you charge to make my Jeep look half as good as yours underneath? Forget it, I couldn't afford it. My OCD brother that keeps his inside a garage doesn't look nearly as nice as yours.

Reactions: Fonz54 and Irun
How much would you charge to make my Jeep look half as good as yours underneath? Forget it, I couldn't afford it. My OCD brother that keeps his inside a garage doesn't look nearly as nice as yours.
You're always welcome to come buy on a weekend and we can tackle it together! (y)

Edit: I do remember seeing something in one of the threads here that said the Fluid Film would "eat" the coatings, but can't seem to find it!
I remember seeing that too.

Reactions: Irun

View attachment 304017View attachment 304018View attachment 304019
Do you literally just flood the frame with this Eastwood stuff?