What did you do to your TJ today?

Not too bad. Here's one of mine after it went purple and the blood moved into the creased formed by the ace bandage I put on it:

Ouch.jpg

Hematomas are a weird deal...

• Wow
Reactions: RINC
  • Haha
Reactions: RINC
Cleaned up one small spot of surface rust on the floor pans and spray painted some bare spots. Getting ready to install my bed tred floor liners.

Reactions: Ocho
Krylon Rust Tough Semi Flat Black is a perfect match for original frame color and sheen. It also dries much faster than Rustoleum.

Yup that’s the stuff I’d like to use unfortunately I haven’t been able to find it in my neck of the woods and amazon.ca is out of stock.
Thinking I’ll just paint em with Duplicolor truck bed coat (blue can), been wanting to try that stuff.

Half Door Glass Slider temporary repair

Does anyone know if the upper frame for glass sliders is the same structure as the zip-down plastic uppers?

When I bought the 2003 TJ, the half door uppers were in terrible shape. The glass sliders moved all around in the loose tracks.
Every time I closed either door you could see the parts in the frame shaking loose. The passenger side was far worse, I worried the glass would fall out on the road when I brought it home the first day.

Initially I wanted to seal them up so water didn't run in around the frame. Some strategic black duct tape worked.
During the taping surgery I found the frame was really loose and falling apart, it had been glued messy and smeared around.
I also noticed the glass was somewhat trapped and couldn't fall out.
I plan to replace the uppers later on after some other things are resolved, in the meantime a longer term fix had to be applied soon.

I found some special screws on Amazon that I thought might work and not be too glaringly obvious.
They are Allen Hex 40mm long by M6, the inserts are 5/16 diameter at the shank, and I ordered black stainless washers too.
The inserts use the same Allen Hex wrench (included in the bolt set).

I also found the right drill bit for the insert at Lowes. DeWalt DW1120

I drilled a 5/16 hole through frame from the outside. If I did this again I would use a smaller bit from the inside, then use the 5/16 on the outer frame only.

drilled hole through slider frame from the outside.jpg

The screws I selected were a little too long as the frame snapped together and compressed from my original measurements.
I stacked 5 washers on the inside for now, and ordered shorter screws to be swapped out next week. I also ordered smaller washers for the inside too.

screw with 5 washers and insert.jpg

If you look closely you can see the screw doesn't interfere with the glass track and sealing area

top rear driver screw.jpg

The inside view of the bottom rear screw

bottom rear screw.jpg

The three on the bottom from the inside

three lower driver inside screws.jpg

All four from the outside

all four driver side outside.jpg

Parts Used:

binifiMux 10-Pack M6x45mm Black Socket Cap Screws Barrel Nuts Kit for Furniture Bed Crib
Size: 10-Pack M6 x 40mm

Bolts with Inserts.jpg

18-8 Stainless Steel 5/16" Flat Washers (100 pcs) Black Oxidized in USA by Makers Bolt
Size: 5/16" (.343ID X .750OD X .050TH)

Washers.jpg

DeWalt drill bit Black & Gold series Part# DW1120

Drill Bit DW1120.jpg

It looks hokey, but works until I can actually find replacements that are available...

Built a spare tire carrier in the bed. Easy in, easy out, stable. A few more refinements to make, but design is solid. Can remove in 36 seconds and swap rear seat in 5 minutes solo.

4C3BD7DB-F4C0-4AA3-BD3D-53370250239F.jpeg

49F86D8C-5241-44CD-B0CE-BEAB73BC9872.jpeg

09E7F251-870B-45E4-935E-A5FD9880D682.jpeg